Gas

Guest nraforlife

Guest nraforlife

I hope everyone remembers the gas stations that raised their prices to 4.99 a gallon to take advantage of their fellow citizens.

Used to be that whores walked the streets.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam
I suppose you would prefer for those stations to just use up their existing supply and shut down?

No but no need to go to the extreme & gouge us either. The gas in the ground is already paid for & most likely the next order coming in is to. I can understand raising prices when the next tanker delivers because that will have to pay for there next shipment. Weve had Hurricanes & what not since the beginning of time & gas has never risen the way it does now since Katrinia & they figure they can hit us all where it hurts.

I agree, the gas in the ground is paid for and should all be sold at the old price. Gas station operators don't want people griping at them because of gas prices, then they turn around and gouge the very people who keep them in business. Easy solution would be if morons would not freak out everytime something happens in the world and rush out to get gas before it "runs out". Wouldn't hurt all of us to stay at home more anyway.

Guest tnmale46
I agree, the gas in the ground is paid for and should all be sold at the old price. Gas station operators don't want people griping at them because of gas prices, then they turn around and gouge the very people who keep them in business. Easy solution would be if morons would not freak out everytime something happens in the world and rush out to get gas before it "runs out". Wouldn't hurt all of us to stay at home more anyway.
x2
Guest GUTTERbOY

I actually talked to a guy at the station around the corner, and he said they sold about 11,000 gallons of gas Friday afternoon when everyone went nuts. A little research indicates that a normal-size station probably has about 15,000 gallons of storage capacity. So there seems to be an immediate concern of smaller stations needing to resupply in order to continue selling. And with wholesale prices sitting around $5 thanks to Ike, that leaves a station owner with several choices, none of which are particularly palatable:

a) Let the tanks run dry, and therefore lose a large amount of business

:D Order gas at $5 a gallon, and sell it at $4, hoping that inside sales will make up the loss

c) Order gas at $5 a gallon, price it at $5 a gallon or so, and live with accusations of price gouging.

My point is not that the price of gas is currently un-gouged, but rather that the individual station owner pretty much has his hands tied at this time. The big price hits are coming from a level above him, but unfortunately, he's the face people see while they're ponying up.

There's plenty of reason to be annoyed about gas prices, even before Ike sent the US into a frenzy. But gas station owners are not getting rich off gasoline; generally they about break even on gas sales and count on folks coming in and buying Hostess cupcakes to make their profit.

Guest GUTTERbOY

OK, let's say the station owner sells all his $3.50/gallon gas. He then gets a delivery at $5 a gallon, and raises his price accordingly. Four days later, the panic subsides and wholesale prices drop back to $3.50 a gallon.

Now let's say that you read this story on CNN, about wholesale prices going back to normal. Then you get in your car, drive by the corner station, and they're still selling at $5/gallon. Maybe a week later, they still haven't sold all that gas. Are you OK with them continuing to sell at $5 a gallon until they get another shipment? Are you telling me you wouldn't drive right past that station and fill up down the street for $3.50?

Absolutely the most freaking idiotic thing I have read all day.

Yep. Gas stations charge what it costs to replace the gas, not what they paid for it. It works both ways.

I read the gas in Houston only went up a nickle to about 3.69, We in ET are being gouged.

Well, if we lived next door to the oil refineries (like in Houston) our price probably would have only gone up a nickel, as well. The problem is that two major pipelines that supply gas to TN are shut down due to the hurricane. The price of gas is market driven. The market in Houston is much different than the market in E. TN.

Absolutely the most freaking idiotic thing I have read all day.

Yes, do elaborate.

Thus far this is the most idiotic thing i've read all day.

All i know is i went to get gas for the bike today in Mt Juliet... $3.51.

No lines or anything.

Guest nraforlife
All I have to say to this board is this, all of you should have an emergency stockpile. You know better!

And what I'll say to the all the price gouging.... at the end of the day, the guy with the most bullets wins, the rest of you are drinking blue toilet water! :D

Emergency stockpile of gasoline? Unless you live on a farm and/or have lots of land I think one may run afoul of zoning laws in order to have any meaningful supply.

Don't hold back. Let you feelings out.

If I didn't hold back, I'd probably get kicked off the board. But GUTTERbOY and slothful1 are absolutely right.

I read the gas in Houston only went up a nickle to about 3.69, We in ET are being gouged.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "PRICE GOUGING!"

Sorry, didn't know I was in the presence of such experts on this subject. Would you care to expound on the subject for all of us idiots?

I'll let George Mason University Professor of Economics Walter E. Williams do that.

But aside from his explanation, the root of the matter is, IT'S THEIR F@(%ING GAS.

You know, I've always looked at the 2nd Amendment as our Founders' guarantee that we'd be able to protect our freedoms. And the right to buy stuff, and re-sell it for whatever price we can get for it is one of those freedoms.

You shortsighted people, who think that your neeeeed trumps others' rights of ownership and commerce, are little different from the Obama marxists, aside from, perhaps, your support of gun rights, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the unborn.

Soooo,who here owns a gas station to show proof of what who pays!?

The most idiotic thing Ive heard all day is they make more on Twinkies. :D

Percentage wise maybe.If they bought a Twinkie a .25,and sold it at .50 then that would be a 100% percent markup.

The only way they could make more money is if everyone bought something for every couple gallons or so.