powder/primer combos

Let's see if I can open a can of worms. Got reloading gear for Christmas and am curious about powder/ primer combos. Starting with 9s, 45, and probably some 38s for hanguns. May go to rifle rounds later. Just need some starting points to work from. Done a lot of reading and iniernet looking, but no consensous at all. Looking to see what works for others here. Powder seems in real short supply at the moment. Just dont want to have to blunder thru rag tag experimentation.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody has their preference. Mind is Solo 1000. I use 3.9 behind a 124 in 9mm, 4.9 behind a 180 for 40 S&W, 3.2 behind a 150 rn cast in 38 spl, and " I'd have to go look " for 45 acp. Very consistent, very clean, low charge weight to velocity ratio. It ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it. I use Varget for 223 and 308.

As far as primers go, I like Winchester but the Russian primers work OK too. Only thing is whatever one you use make sure that It is bottomed out in the pocket. I've seen way too many misfires at the club from high primers. Edited by Ray Z

I really like accurate #5.  Its a generic powder that can be forced to work with nearly ANY handgun caliber but it excels at the midrange stuff....  it makes a great 9mm and a solid 45.    #2 will go farther and works well in 9 and 45 but a little harder to control as .5 grains of error makes notable inconsistency in a 9 or smaller.   2 works in a 38 but its really the wrong type for a big case.   Again, the reason for 2 is to use less per round to stretch your $$ and scarce resource.   5 & 7 use more per shot so cost more and need to buy more of it ... but they are either one better choices for the 38 and 45.

I have also had good luck in those cartridges with power pistol. 

Also, unrelated, but I have saved a lot of $$ making practice ammo for 9 & 38 both using a cheap lead 380 bullet.   500 rounds for 30 bucks or so is hard to beat...

I use whatever primers.  I can't tell much difference unless trying to produce match grade ammo.  Just watch out for magnum vs regular, you CAN tell a difference there with some load data, esp in smaller rounds.  Mostly use Winchester, cci, and wolf.  But then again, that's 1/2 the brands...

Edited by Jonnin

I've pretty much settled on Red Dot or Titegroup for my .380 and 9mm.  I have AA#7 for my .40 S&W Hi-Point carbine loads and am still experimenting for my .357 lever action Rossi.  One thing I have ruled out are Remington primers.  The skin's too tough for light-strike pistols.  Federal, Winchester and CCI are thin enough for consistent performance.

Guest Lester Weevils
Only thing have used for 9mm is W231 and ramshot silhouette. Silhouette seems better suited for 124 gn bullets than W231, if one wants vel faster than light target loads without risking overpressure. But W231 worked fine, and also have some ramshot zip that is a W231 clone and can basically use the same load data.

Only thing ever used for 357 is bluedot, but have some ramshot enforcer to try when I use up the blue dot.

With so many powders and primers available that are suitable for the cartridges you plan on loading I doubt you will find a concensus.  For a beginning reloader, I would suggest getting one powder that's suitable for all three cartridges.  In the past I've used Bullseye, Win231, Green Dot, Titegroup, and Unique.  I don't think it makes much difference for most people in most guns.  I haven't loaded 9mm, but these powders are all suitable for .45acp and .38spl.  Study the manufacturers charts and get one that works in the low end to middle of the velocity range for all the cartridges you plan to load.

I don't think primer brand is critical for most uses, but I prefer Winchester, primarily because that's what I've worked up my loads with for many years now.

I would suggest you start out loading the .38spl. because revolver rounds are more forgiving of reloading techniques such as case sizing, degree of crimp, and so on that a beginning reloader will learn through trial and error.  Don't load a lot of rounds before you make sure they will chamber and function in your pistols.  You don't want to have a couple hundred rounds on hand that won't chamber in your pistol.

You didn't ask about bullets, but start with the "standard" weight for your cartridges.  Don't be afraid to buy the less expensive jacketed or lead bullets. 

I wouldn't buy any component by the thousands except for possibly getting a thousand primers to begin with.  Brass lasts a long time and 9s, .45acp, and .38spl. can often be found at a range.  One good reason not to overbuy to begin with is that you may find you don't like reloading.  I'm not trying to discourage you, but the attention to detail required and the repetitive nature of it is just not to everyone's liking.  Go slow, study before you do anything, and you'll probably like reloading.  Get a manual or two for reference and to help learn the process.  I like the Lyman rifle and pistol manual  and the Lyman cast bullet manual. 

Bullseye or Unique for non magnum, and 2400 or H-110/WW296 for magnum. Primer are primers. Magnum for ball powders, regular for flake powders.

Handguns are easy. Rifle cartridges, however, are a whole 'nuther can of worms.

Edited by gregintenn
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for inputs, yes consensus is improbable. Thanks Swede for your comments. I have spent many hours researching and reading. Have aquired both Lyman and Lees for reference and will probably go with Bullseye and CCI 500 to start.A friend uses these and I have fired his reloads. With your suggestion I plan to load enough to load each caliber twice and test fire.I have my own range so I can load and test and make corrections quickly. Again thanks to all for info and thoughts.

You can't have enough powders to try out. 

I got tired of having to run around trying to find what I needed for a project load.

Collect one every visit to the supplier, when you see them (and projectiles too). One of each of the popular ones listed above, then start adding depth to the width of your collection. Right now I have 22 types of powder (and more than one in the standards).

BTW.... for reduced loads (for the kids, ladies, plinking, BIG magnums, etc)  , keep a bottle of TrailBoss on hand.

Guest SavageOne

We are fortunate to have so many powders suitable for the 9/.40/.45/.38. Too bad many of them are not available. I buy just about any usable powder when and where I find it these days. Primers, I use what I can find as well, Winchester and CCI are my prefference, but just finished 15k of Wolf primers with ok results. I use range brass and mostly cast or coated bullets. I keep reloading as inexpensive as possible to allow me to do more of the fun part, shooting!

SavageOne

My old "standby" powders have been Unique and W-231 for 9mm and 45 acp...for nearly 25 years.

But the shortage forced me out of my comfort zone and I discovered American Select from Alliant and absolutely love it for 147 gr lead 9mm.

AA#2 is great for my .38's and a little goes a long way...

My favorite primers are Federal and Winchester. But I've had good luck with Wolf magnum small pistol primers for 9mm.

I'm not so pleased with the "lead free" Tula primer (small). I relegate them strictly for range/practice...they allow for the occasional malfunction clearance drills and therefore save wear and tear on my orange dummy rounds. LOL.

Guest SavageOne

I have frequently found Promo to be available lately. It's basiclly Red Dot without the red tags. Bought 3 of the 8# jugs a while back. I can use it to make decent loadings in the 9/40/45. Also have found some jugs of Clays as well, I make do with what I can find.