Help me decide where to move...

Any first hand comments about Crossville? While I see that it has a lot of golf courses which I could care less about it does appear to be an interesting town with lots of water features etc...

Crossville is a nice enough town but there's just not much there. It's a quiet little town. Being on the plateau, it's generally a little cooler in the summer but they get more ice and snow in the winter.
  • Like 1

Crossville is a nice enough town but there's just not much there. It's a quiet little town. Being on the plateau, it's generally a little cooler in the summer but they get more ice and snow in the winter.

Thanks PJ little tidbits such as this are what I'm looking for. We want to avoid dealing with ice and snow as much as we can beyond looking at a couple inches that the sun takes of for ya in a few hours.

Thanks PJ little tidbits such as this are what I'm looking for. We want to avoid dealing with ice and snow as much as we can beyond looking at a couple inches that the sun takes of for ya in a few hours.

The vast majority of the time that's all we get most anywhere in the state, an inch or so that's mostly gone by lunch. But storms do come through they can drop a couple inches in the low lands and a foot or more up in the hills. The big problem is ice. It'll start raining when it's 34 deg and then the temps drop into the 20s. Nasty ice everywhere. That happens 1-3 times per season. If you really want to avoid that, you'll need to look further south.

The vast majority of the time that's all we get most anywhere in the state, an inch or so that's mostly gone by lunch. But storms do come through they can drop a couple inches in the low lands and a foot or more up in the hills. The big problem is ice. It'll start raining when it's 34 deg and then the temps drop into the 20s. Nasty ice everywhere. That happens 1-3 times per season. If you really want to avoid that, you'll need to look further south.

Ha.... Given my dithers I'd be moving outside of Sedona AZ but then we knew that we would never see our grand children unless we either sent back to MI or paid for the airfair for a soon to be 5 seats.... This is why central TN was selected as it is but a 500 odd mile drive either way and can be easily accomplished in less than one day. So I'll just do my best to select an area that gets the least as possible.
I have lived in the Tri-Cites for 25 years and love it. Very conservative part of the state. 15 minutes to Virginia, 30 to NC, 30 to Kentucky, NW North Carolina is some of the most beautiful land in country. This is a great place to live. Traffic is not bad unlike the perpetual road construction in Nashville and Knoxville.

I have lived in the Tri-Cites for 25 years and love it. Very conservative part of the state. 15 minutes to Virginia, 30 to NC, 30 to Kentucky, NW North Carolina is some of the most beautiful land in country. This is a great place to live. Traffic is not bad unlike the perpetual road construction in Nashville and Knoxville.

Ok so what is considered the Tr-Cites?

Never mind I figured it out.... Bristol area... We have spent several vacations in the NC Maggie Valley, Sylva area and just loved it, but my wife is not a big fan of the hilly twisting roads that are so common. Edited by teecro

Never mind I figured it out.... Bristol area... We have spent several vacations in the NC Maggie Valley, Sylva area and just loved it, but my wife is not a big fan of the hilly twisting roads that are so common.

If she doesn't like twisty roads, better look at the southern middle/west.

When we lived in Kingsport and. my in-laws came for a visit, my FIL said, "good grief, are there no straight roads here?" Nope, and we like it that way. :)
  • Like 1

I'd say find where you're going to work first. I recommend avoiding crossing Nashville during rush hour.

If you can work anywhere, that opens up a whole lot. Spring Hill seems to be the hot area around here.

Edited by tnguy

I was born in Chattanooga, raised in Lenoir City (moved to Alabama for a while) and spent early teens in Maryville (went to Alabama again) and moved back to Tennessee and floated between Nashville and Clarksville.

My favorite of the places I've lived is Nashville. I like Clarksville, but we'd still love to move closer to Nashville. Clarksville wants to be a big city, but the good ol' boys club wants to run it like it's still a town of 40,000 people. It takes me 45 minutes to drive 7 miles to get home after work due to traffic. When my wife worked in Nashville she could get home quicker than I could... 

East TN is beautiful, but I'd rather not live in Maryville again... Knoxville, yes, Maryville no. 

Another good website to use for real estate is the MLS. www.realtracs.com is good for Middle TN. We're looking to one day move to the Pleasant View area. Close to Clarksville for my work and close to Nashville for the wife. 

Never mind I figured it out.... Bristol area... We have spent several vacations in the NC Maggie Valley, Sylva area and just loved it, but my wife is not a big fan of the hilly twisting roads that are so common.

Ok , I can understand hilly twisting roads being an issue but anywhere you choose to move in Tennessee tell your wife to get very use to seeing orange barrels on any road she drives on because Tennessee is known as The State of Road Construction and $500.00 speeding tickets because of those orange barrels...............jmho

]Ok so what is considered the Tr-Cites?

We'll that is sort of the only way to get around and up and down the mountains. Which for us is a big attraction. Most places that have mountains the curvy hilly roads go along with them. Get ya a sports car and those roads become a lot of fun to drive on. Mountains also make great backgrounds for a gun range. That is why I can have one in my backyard. Just making lemonade out of lemons. Not wanting mountains will take a good portion of the state away as a option. Edited by 45guy

I've spent a significant amount of time in middle and east TN (Knoxville area.)  If you are into outdoor things here are some things to think about when deciding middle vs east TN.

Middle TN- Much better deer hunting

East TN- wider variety of game but quantities are lower.  Mountains, and it can be a bit cooler in the mountians than in the mid state.  Trout and small mouth fishing are better here.  Kayaking, mountain biking, and hiking opportunities are much better. 

For me I hang out in East TN most of the time and make a couple of long weekend deer hunting trips to Mid TN each year.  I do miss being in the woods nearly everyday of the deer season like I did in Mid Tenn but I guess you have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

I really like where I live because I can be in downtown Knoxville in 35 minutes, or drive 35 minutes the other way and be miles from electricity, cell service, and other signs of civilization.

How important is proximity to a major airport?

My general criteria is to be no more than two hours from an international airport or major hub and less than 1 hour from a decent regional airport as it gives me the option of being able to fly to and from work or drive back to Mi for meeting up with the vessel I work on.

You probably need to not venture far from the I-75 corridor.  Knoxville and Chattanooga and the surrounding counties areas are likely best.  Knoxville to Detroit is ~8 hr drive.  There are many direct flights as well.  BTW Knoxville airport has some of the countries highest fares anywhere. 

You probably need to not venture far from the I-75 corridor.  Knoxville and Chattanooga and the surrounding counties areas are likely best.  Knoxville to Detroit is ~8 hr drive.  There are many direct flights as well.  BTW Knoxville airport has some of the countries highest fares anywhere

Well dat does bite.... From what I've seen from driving through I do like the eastern areas of Tn; we will be coming down in mid March for a serious look see at the towns outside of Nashville and planned to take a look around the Knoxville area too.... 

Ok , I can understand hilly twisting roads being an issue but anywhere you choose to move in Tennessee tell your wife to get very use to seeing orange barrels on any road she drives on because Tennessee is known as The State of Road Construction and $500.00 speeding tickets because of those orange barrels...............jmho

And here we thought that MI was the state of perpetual road construction or deterioration anyway; our roads are nothing but frost heaves and another coat of chip and tar.... Some roads I can't stand to ride on my bike anymore as it just jars my bladder into submission!

And here we thought that MI was the state of perpetual road construction or deterioration anyway; our roads are nothing but frost heaves and another coat of chip and tar.... Some roads I can't stand to ride on my bike anymore as it just jars my bladder into submission!

I think I read somewhere awhile back Tennessee ranks in the top 3 for best roads in the country. 

We'll that is sort of the only way to get around and up and down the mountains. Which for us is a big attraction. Most places that have mountains the curvy hilly roads go along with them. Get ya a sports car and those roads become a lot of fun to drive on. Mountains also make great backgrounds for a gun range. That is why I can have one in my backyard. Just making lemonade out of lemons. Not wanting mountains will take a good portion of the state away as a option.

Don't get me wrong we do love and enjoy the mountains and driving around them too; I've just got to try and avoid putting her into an area that has the really tight curves and blind hills as no matter if I love the stink out of the roads she will not and I'm gone at least half to two thirds of the year with work.

Edited by teecro

BTW thanks for all the intel you guys are providing and for the friendly banter too! I'll make it into the other forums sooner or later as I really am a gun owner too... LOL

Have 9 handguns; mostly 1911's and an old S&W model 10 a couple AR rifles, an AK47 as well as AK pistol too....

One more point, if you bat right with your politics, East Tennessee is excellent.  If you bat left, West Tennessee is better.  If you are a switch hitter that bats right more than left, middle Tennessee may be good.  :rofl:

• Like 1

My general criteria is to be no more than two hours from an international airport or major hub and less than 1 hour from a decent regional airport as it gives me the option of being able to fly to and from work or drive back to Mi for meeting up with the vessel I work on.

If that's the case, you're looking at a 2 hr radius from Nashville.