45 acp for hunting

I usually carry a 1911 with me when I hunt.  I have taken does with it when they are close.  Furtherest i have shot a doe with a 1911 is about 35 yards.  It did a fine job.  Good penetration and expansion.  

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1

Has anyone actually used the 45 acp for hunting deer here in Tennessee?

:wave:

10 yards. Bullet was recovered just under the skin on the opposite side. He went about 20 yards and piled up. XTP 230 grain JHP reload.

184db7b7-dacc-4c30-940b-3b8422a77d9a_zps

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 5

I actually wasn't hunting with the .45 pistol per say, but he walked up on my right side, and being right handed, I couldn't turn with my rifle to shoot. So I drew the 1911 Officers Model and was able to get a shot with an extended right arm.

Would I purposely hunt with that 1911? If I kept my shots within 25 yards damn straight I would.

Dave

I don't hunt but I built my wife a Savage bolt action in 45 ACP. It definitely is a sweet shooter that would probably down a deer in reasonable distances.

That sounds pretty neat. I've seen kits for a Lee Enfield and Mausers. A .45 ACP carbine has always interested me.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot my first hog with a Smith Model 1950 target 45 moon clip gun.  Next time i hunt one of those with a pistol it will be a 44 mag or my 35 Rem.  The 45 didnt have enough umphhh...and it took three shots to collect my hog. <---insert hunting story.   But I have always heard it does a nice job on deer.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...