Remington R-51

Peace

[quote name="Erik88" post="1125583" timestamp="1395013295"]I know it's early but me thinks this could be one of the biggest failures to come out in recent years. I'm going to be the first to predict the recall. [/quote] This. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Didn't hear him mention whether he had cleaned it or not. Remington ships with a ton of gunk, or at least

my Mod. 783 was. Took a bunch of cleaning.

May be the problem, maybe not, but would be interesting to know before condemming it.

[quote name="Grunt67" post="1125658" timestamp="1395023309"]Didn't hear him mention whether he had cleaned it or not. Remington ships with a ton of gunk, or at least my Mod. 783 was. Took a bunch of cleaning. May be the problem, maybe not, but would be interesting to know before condemming it.[/quote] While I agree I'd like to see what happens after it's cleaned, would you buy a gun out of a store if it acted like that? I've got no dog in the hunt, I'm not really interested anyway, it's just really weird to me that they'd send guns out like that

Scored one!! Carried to the range Saturday! Recoil was similar to any of my .380s(significantly less than the Nano, I carried as well). 2 random FTEs, not worried about that, since it is not broke in yet(+250 rounds).

Grip safety will take some getting used to(as did my XDs), but overall, I would give it a B+ for first shoot. And, it's a COOL gun!!

• Like 1

I own an original Pederson design Remington Model 51 in .380 and shot hundreds of rounds through it well into the 70's before I realized it should be a safe queen. After more than 50 years of service (it began life as my grandfather's back-up) the pistol began to get picky about ammo and occasionally misfire. The Pederson Model 51 is a really well balanced pistol, light weight - yet absorbs recoil, and very accurate for a small frame that fits my hand well. If the R-51 is truly built on the old Model 51 frame and uses the Pederson breech block mechanism, then the new gun might be worth buying and, if needed, investing in a little aftermarket shop work to help smooth things out. The original 51 was not a big success, but not because of anything wrong with the gun - it came out a couple of years before the depression and hit a brick wall when the economy tanked.

Didn't hear him mention whether he had cleaned it or not. Remington ships with a ton of gunk, or at least

my Mod. 783 was. Took a bunch of cleaning.

May be the problem, maybe not, but would be interesting to know before condemming it.

That doesn't explain the free floating rear sight. Inexcuseable IMO.

In my opinion any gun should shoot reliably straight from the box and not need a steam cleaning nor a break-in period unless it is an old surplus war gun packed in cosmoline.  This is my $0.02 . 

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 3

In my opinion any gun should shoot reliably straight from the box and not need a steam cleaning nor a break-in period unless it is an old surplus war gun packed in cosmoline.  This is my $0.02 . 

Agreed! But I have had several that do not shoot reliably until after 200+ rounds. That is why I carry NOTHING until it gets that initial break in.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned guns that claim they need a break in period (Kahr's come to mind) but during my 200 round "break in" period I never had a FTF, FTE, nothing. I'm sorry, but those of you that attribute failures to a "break in" period need higher standards IMO.
  • Like 1

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WgqtnA4t98U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWgqtnA4t98U

The guys from Gunblast and The Firearms Blog actually shot one, and both seemed impressed with it.
There are several people on the R51 thread on Arfcom that handled it at SHOT and are planning on buying.

This review reads like he just couldn't get past the grip safety. That's cool, not everybody "gets it". That's why they make so many different kinds. I think it's hilarious that he compares the gun to the P7M8, one of the finest handguns ever made, like it's a bad thing.

Im sorry, I like the gunblast guy, have even talked to him before, but he has never met a gun he did not like.   Ever.  What he says is always presented in the best possible light and what he does not say speaks volumes.  The same is true for the vast majority of sponsored reviews: they rarely give any negative feedback at all, and when they do it is sugarcoated.   Not saying anything about this gun, just that paid-for reviews are usually kinder than the "guy with a blog" reviews.  Of course the guy with a blog often has an agenda.... its hard to find a neutral, accurate, and well done review.  

The only guy I know with one of these so far shot it a a couple of boxes worth  and the mag won't stay in the gun now, something broke.  Whether this is a design flaw or a lemon remains to be seen. 

I really hope they get the bugs worked out, I want one of these guns as a suppressor host. 

As for online reviews... yeah, it didn't take very long for them to become as useless as the gun magazines.  :yuck:

Edited by dcloudy777

Don't get me wrong, I've owned guns that claim they need a break in period (Kahr's come to mind) but during my 200 round "break in" period I never had a FTF, FTE, nothing. I'm sorry, but those of you that attribute failures to a "break in" period need higher standards IMO.

Maybe I do, but then my safe wouldn't have as many guns in it!  :pleased:

[quote name="tnhandgun57" post="1125823" timestamp="1395071987"]Maybe I do, but then my safe wouldn't have as many guns in it! :pleased:[/quote] The way I said that sounded worse than I intended I believe. What I'm trying to say is that I believe if a gun malfunctions, there's probably more wrong than a "break in" Edited by KKing

A friend of mine bought one and took possession at a LGS with an indoor range a day or two ago.  She took it to the range lubed it and checked it over. Fired one round and it broke, I don't know exactly what but it was catastrophic.  Store gave her credit - she got a Glock 19. She and her husband shoot all the time and have many guns.  I can't wait to get the whole story.

Me either....keep us posted!

A friend of mine bought one and took possession at a LGS with an indoor range a day or two ago.  She took it to the range lubed it and checked it over. Fired one round and it broke, I don't know exactly what but it was catastrophic.  Store gave her credit - she got a Glock 19. She and her husband shoot all the time and have many guns.  I can't wait to get the whole story.

Yes , Let us know as soon as you get details. 

I got to put my hands on one today.  I like the feel of it, but I am not digging its current reputation.  I wouldn't mind having one to take apart and see what and how it works.  The one I felt today had a lot of metal on metal "grindy" feel.  Certainly not like a BHP, CZ or a 1911.