Remington R-51

Peace

I own and fire several guns regularly with a grip safety. Never once do I remember having to consciously activate it. You grab the gun and pull the trigger. A perfect grip one does not need to have.

To each his own, but I'll take a grip safety and a good single action trigger over a long, heavy double action pull any day.

I'm not firmly opposed to either, and own and carry both.

Variety is the spice of life I suppose.

• Like 1
Guest TresOsos

So you don't have a good grip, you pull the trigger and miss and the gun goes flying off, or jams and you can't clear it, or you lose your grip and drop it.

Life is full of unknowns, what ifs and maybes.

Like everybody else, i'll roll my dice and take my chances.

And if a properly functioning grip safety on a properly built and functioning gun worries you, get one without that feature or pin it in place.

Grip safeties along with trigger safeties are PASSIVE safeties, they deactivate when the gun is gripped correctly, you dont have to worry or make a conscious effort to deactivate them. A thumb safety, I can see the dislike for.

Personally I dont care for grip safeties or any other safeties for that matter but they arent a deal breaker. I love XDs but not the grip safeties, I still have the XDs.

Those aren't too bad compared to the ZIP GUN I got awhile back.

Looks cool and I'm a sucker for "innovation" if that's how you want to describe it.

Things about as ergonomic as a freaking Betamax or VHS tape. I firmly believe that this one will remain LNIB forever. (I already test fired one round)

6B9673F3-13E5-4996-B832-70E3F6B93B70-100

It's the one on the bottom. That looks like a box.

Edited by TrickyNicky

Grip safety?!  I missed that.  Pretty much a deal killer for me.  I figure in my lifestyle, geography and attitude if I need a handgun to save my butt  just about everything else in my life has gone wrong. I figure I will be shooting weak hand, one handed from the fetal position, covered in wetness (yes that too) crying for my mommy.  My muscle memory won't be Delta Force-like, tunnel vision will have set in with loss of fine motor control.  I'll probably be going into shock preceded by lots of pain.   I'll likely need as much or more luck than anything else.  The only button or switch or lever I want to pull will be the trigger. If that isn't the scenario then I will have been very very lucky, likely having created distance by running as fast as I can, the other way, like an old rabbit.  Or I have taken a job as an assassin.

• Like 1
Guest TresOsos

Grip safety?!  I missed that.  Pretty much a deal killer for me.  I figure in my lifestyle, geography and attitude if I need a handgun to save my butt  just about everything else in my life has gone wrong. I figure I will be shooting weak hand, one handed from the fetal position, covered in wetness (yes that too) crying for my mommy.  My muscle memory won't be Delta Force-like, tunnel vision will have set in with loss of fine motor control.  I'll probably be going into shock preceded by lots of pain.   I'll likely need as much or more luck than anything else.  The only button or switch or lever I want to pull will be the trigger. If that isn't the scenario then I will have been very very lucky, likely having created distance by running as fast as I can, the other way, like an old rabbit.  Or I have taken a job as an assassin.

Wow, always best to keep a positive attitude, lest things become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I find it difficult to imagine how you could pull the trigger without engaging the grip saftey.  What are you going to leverage against to get the trigger to pull?  If you can get a finger on the trigger, where is the gun in relation to the rest of your hand?

but....what do I know, I carry a Glock.

• Like 2

I agree 100% . You can't always grip the gun "correctly" and the only button I need to worry about it is the trigger.

Looking forward to seeing this in person as well.  My wife and I are currently moving to the 9mm platform away from .380 and .40(respectively) and this gun has definitely caught my eye.  Sits low in the hand, points naturally(supposedly), single stack profile, 1911-ish easily reachable trigger, can handle +p.  On paper this looks like a contender for our CCW replacement pending reliability reports and pricing.

Would like an option for upgraded sights though from the factory....

Edited by viscero

I really don't understand the conerns about the grip safety but to each his own. This seems like a neat gun from Remington and I'm anxious to seem more reviews.

Well Erik, I really don't get concerned about the grip safety or the lack of one either way.

I got us off-track with my question because I wanted to get some comments and get some discussion on it. Really didn't try to start or settle anything, just looking for opinions and reasons.

I think we got that.

In any event, my personal preference really is in line with TDR and KKing. I prefer something like the Glock with its passive trigger safety system much more so than a thumb safety. I don't necessarily have anything against the grip safety to the point that I wouldn't use a pistol with one though.

But back to the orginal thread topic, yes; I'd really like to get hold of an R-51 and try it out.

My brother-in-law is going to the Shot Show, so I've asked him to try and look it over if he gets the opportunity.

Looks to be on par with the sig at a lower cost.   And I like the old-school look.  I don't need another small 9, but --- its mighty tempting.  I don't *need* anything else either so it could be a contender for another toy.

Is the grip the ONLY safety??

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

This thing looks like some kind of Walther PPK/Ruger LC9/Springfield XDS/Sig P232 mutant and I like it! I like the sexy lines on it. I've heard and read a lot of mixed reviews about the quality of Remington's 1911's but at this price point I'm interested. I'd wait for objective reviews before throwing money at it though. No disrespect to plastic but Remington also gets my respect for going with alloy over polymer. I prefer metal. In an age where different firearm manufacturers basically steal each other's designs, I'm glad to see one do a throwback to an old one.