Good Ak 47's

RC3

Wasr are bottom line Romanians, bottom line of most all aks too. The SAR is the better Romainian. I wouldn't pay over $350 for a wasr, $400-450 for an SAR.

AMD 65 are popular. The few I've seen at the range all had problems? $450

Next step up budget and quality would be a Yugo with a Nodak reciever. M70. Or the longer RPK M72. $450 on a M70. $700 M72.

There are some high quality ones out there, all new builds. I don't have any experience with any.

When you pick one up, make sure the FSB (front sight block) is straight, or , inline with the RSB (rear). Hold the rifle straight away from you looking at the alignment. Pretty east to see. Google "canted sight block" and you will see. Edited by Tncobra

My first AK was, and still is with me, a WASR. It's never been a problem for me. Has roughly a thousand rounds thru it since being converted.. I've had an Ismash, and a Tantal. For range fun, I still grab the Wasr. 

Not saying that all Wasrs are great, but I like mine.

I have a WASR-10 which has been a blast to shoot for the last few years.  I've put Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, etc... through it without any problems.  I keep it clean and it shoots very well!  It shoots 100 plus rounds into a 7 inch circle at 100 yards consistently.  Good enough for where I live!  The real questions to ask yourself are: 1.  What do you plan to use it for?  2.  How often are you going to go out and shoot it?  3.  How much do you want to spend?  You will get what you pay for!

A good starting point for the above questions is at or http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductListing.aspx?catid=7795 to see what the Retail Sales are for the many different AK-47 type rifles.  Then open up http://www.gunauction.com/shop/rifles-for-sale/semi-auto-rifle and/or http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=AK-47 and start to get the picture of how much they are on the Auction Sites.

I shoot a couple hundred rounds at 100 yard ranges a couple times a year now that I have a decent scope and the right bullets to hunt coyote with!  I also have a VEPR in 7.62x54 which is really a nice weapon---Much more expensive than an AK-47 up front.  Lately, the bullets are a little cheaper to shoot that the 7.62x39, but I have to deal with 5 and 10 round clips too.  I use all my guns for home defense, hunting various game animals, and for fun when I don't care about money!  Good luck!

The real questions to ask yourself are: 1.  What do you plan to use it for?  2.  How often are you going to go out and shoot it?  3.  How much do you want to spend?  You will get what you pay for!

1: Just for fun at the range

2: Maybe once every three months

3: As cheap as possible as long as it wont blow up on my hand.

My first AK was, and still is with me, a WASR. It's never been a problem for me. Has roughly a thousand rounds thru it since being converted.. I've had an Ismash, and a Tantal. For range fun, I still grab the Wasr. 

Not saying that all Wasrs are great, but I like mine.

same here my wasr runs like a sewing machine.

Great answers!  As you can see from the links given previously, AK-47's and the 7.62x39 bullets are no longer really all that cheap.  This President and his Administration / Regime have really put a hurting on the guns and ammo markets.  The reason I gave you the links to check out were to dispel the idea of a $299.00 AK-47!  Even the guys on this Website are not going to sell theirs so generously---Unless they know you, and you are a close blood relative.

I really think there is only one or two more questions to ask:  1.  Are you married?  2.  If so, what can you get away with spending, or better yet: do you have a Guns & Ammo Fund already built up to spend?

I'm really only kidding around, and do not want to offend anyone here.  Please do the research to include the gun, ammo, and the magazines.  As I stated before, I choose to go out and shoot when I really don't care about how much I'm spending every time I pull the trigger.  I personally like the AK for it's ease of cleaning, shooting, and protection it provides for my family.  Have a wonderful New Year, and hope this all helps you to find that AK that you too always wanted!  I waited 20 years to get mine!!!

I really think there is only one or two more questions to ask:  1.  Are you married?  2.  If so, what can you get away with spending, or better yet: do you have a Guns & Ammo Fund already built up to spend?

1: I am divorced, other wise my ex wife would have shot me with her sig.

2: I was being realistic about the price. I am looking for one under $600 if possible, and ammo is "easy to find" when I comes to ak's.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384528072

I know it ended, but I found a couple more at around that price and am wondering if they are good buys, or avoid.

That looks like a first gen. Avoid these. Most, if not all of them came into the country with a single stack bolt which wasn't changed out in favor of a correct double stack bolt. Many complaints about these not picking up the next round in the magazine, so many FTFs. Try and find a NPAP or OPAP, gen 3. They are GTG, and well built.