What do you do when you encounter a posted business?

When I see that a business is posted I...  

128 members have voted

1. 1. When I see that a business is posted I...

• Go elsewhere, not spending my money there.
    • Go on in and keep my gun concealed, it's no ones business if I'm carrying.
    • Disarm and go on in.

Depends, if there is an unposted business near by offering similar services I give them first shot at my business. I.E. You will always find me shopping at the Green Hills mall(if for some odd reason I need a mall) rather than in Cool Springs Galleria since they are equal distances from my home and for the most part offer similar stores. Same with Sams Club vs Costco.

If it's a restaurant such as Loveless(My wife loves the preserves and biscuits) I'll disarm to keep the family happy or occasionally suggest(in advance if possible) a similar alternative. I.E. Puckett's.

If I need the services and nowhere offers comparable services I'll leave the gun at home/in my car. I.E. the Post Office.

I do not carry past postings on purpose, if I'm beyond the sign and armed you can assume I unknowingly used an alternate unposted entrance or the signage was not clearly visible.(I look pretty hard in most cases)

• Like 5
Well we elected not to go into the Cool springs mall. We were staying at the Residence inn there and needed a few things we saw the sign and respected their wishes and took our business elsewhere. I also sent the management Company a quick email politely explaining why we would not shop there. Edited by wcd

If it's not a legal posting, I will sometimes go on in if I'm with a group of people or am pretty much through the door already, but I will not return there if I can help it. I will also ignore the sign if the place is somewhere I don't have other options to go, like a doctor's office or bank. 

Those signs don't mean squat in Florida but coincidentally the only place I ever see them is at gun stores. I always ignore the sign and carry anyways. I'm typically just browsing, I try not to spend money at the shops that don't want me to carry into their store. 

The only other place I've seen the gunbuster sign was a movie theater and I carry anyways.

Guest mackdoc1
I try to obey the law and if I have no choice do what I gotta do noted at most mall's around Nashville only some entrances are posted so I go in those and play dum I've only noticed a hand full of places that even post
Guest mackdoc1
I try to obey the law and if I have no choice do what I gotta do noted at most mall's around Nashville only some entrances are posted so I go in those and play dum I've only noticed a hand full of places that even post

Could tell the management of the "posted" establishment you will not be carrying your wallet with you if you cannot carry into their establishment. If i know a place is "posted" and I have to go in there ( say the post office) for example. I'll disarm just to follow the law. But if it is somewhere else where i can spend my dollars elsewhere, I'll politely tell the management, My wallet goes where i'm allowed to carry, not allowed to carry, then my wallet isn't allowed to go either.

Anybody know where one can get those double sided business cards to give out to "posted" businesses?

Guest dieselshadow
[quote name="Wyldk2" post="1088708" timestamp="1388788975"]Could tell the management of the "posted" establishment you will not be carrying your wallet with you if you cannot carry into their establishment. If i know a place is "posted" and I have to go in there ( say the post office) for example. I'll disarm just to follow the law. But if it is somewhere else where i can spend my dollars elsewhere, I'll politely tell the management, My wallet goes where i'm allowed to carry, not allowed to carry, then my wallet isn't allowed to go either. Anybody know where one can get those double sided business cards to give out to "posted" businesses?[/quote] Vistaprint.com.

Depends on the specific situation-- If it is a place that has something I need, and I can't get it anywhere else locally (this is rare), I will disarm. 

But 90% of the time I will make a mental note and go elsewhere. Sometimes talk to the owner/manager and explain why I will be taking my business elsewhere. I feel that speaking to them (if possible) is important... otherwise they will never know WHY they lost my business. In the case of restaurants, there are several in town that KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will never see my $$ unless concealed carry is permitted in their establishment.

Edited by tartanphantom

I will always write a letter to the business stating that as a legal firearm owner for over 40 years & plus a retired PO , I will not do business with them , since they have a sign stating NO GUNS ALLOWED.  I mention  that if the State considers me to be capable of carrying a firearm , then I should be trusted to enter their place of business with a concealed firearm.The letter is not a nasty gram, just a polite letter.  They have a right to deny me entrance but I too have a right to take my business else where. I always include the  question,' Do you really think the stickup person is going to obey your sign as a legal gun owner will???'   Who would they prefer, a legal firearm owner looking to purchase an item or a stickup person looking to make a withdrawal????. Both have firearms but only one has evil intent............. I'll also state, that I belong to a large organisation called the NRA and I' will mention  the business's narrow mindedness to ALL my firearm friends. In finishing  I'll also write,~~ I don't need them, they need me to stay in business.  There's ALWAYS another store, down the road apiece.    

• Like 1

The answer depends on the circumstances.  If I need their service or product and don't have other options, I will disarm and go in, but remember not to go back.  They have the right to send my money to another business.

With me it depends.  In normal day to day life in normal places I will not go in an establishment that is posted.  If my personal protection device is not welcome neither is my wallet.  It's a different thing with special trips.  We live 40 miles from Memphis and have been talking about taking our homeschooled child to the Aquarium in Chattanooga.  If we get there and it is posted I am not going to turn around and leave.  I would disarm and go in.  I don't know if they are posted or not, it's just an example.