Very interesting walmart tactic...

I've struck up several good conversations with others while looking for ammo at Walmart.  Most are good guys, polite, and in the same boat that I am.  When I found .40 for the first time after the big shortage there was another guy there looking for .40 as well.  There were three boxes and we about had to fight over over who got the third box because both of us were relinquishing it to the other.  I wound up taking it and selling it to a female friend for what it cost me. 

Guest xjpsmithx
I must not get it? Why fight with the degenerates at Wal-Mart, of all places, when you can find ammo online for the same cost. If not better?! Plus there is no "3 box limit".

Would you mind to find a box of Federal 525 count .22lr for $26 ? That's what I thought... facts man... gotta have em first...

I must not get it? Why fight with the degenerates at Wal-Mart, of all places, when you can find ammo online for the same cost. If not better?! Plus there is no "3 box limit".

• Like 1

I wondered the same thing about those that bought online prior to the panic. I’ve never found anywhere online that had quality brass ammo for less than Wal-Mart. And I don’t think you could do it now unless you just can’t get anything at your Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart could have raped us on ammo prices; but they haven’t done it.

Before everyone starts getting too bent out of shape on WalMart ammo prices, or prices from wherever, this is a new year.  Ammo and gun prices go up every year just like clockwork, usually in February as I've noticed, coincidentally that is just after Shot Show.

I asked a walmart associate at my walmart if they were randomizing their ammo stocking... She was not a sporting goods regular and had no idea what I was talking about. Oh well. On a bright note: federal .223, 55gr 100rds for $38.97 (tax included) I haven't seen federal 55gr in a local store for under 40c in a long time.
  • Like 1
Guest xjpsmithx

I wondered the same thing about those that bought online prior to the panic. I’ve never found anywhere online that had quality brass ammo for less than Wal-Mart. And I don’t think you could do it now unless you just can’t get anything at your Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart could have raped us on ammo prices; but they haven’t done it.

I guess I have a different perspective since I don't shoot .22. I buy in bulk from sites like unammo.com and I sleep well knowing I don't have to wake up at the buttcrack of dawn to fight with bubba for a measly 150 rds. It's the 21st century by the way.... Who goes to a store anymore!?!

I guess I have a different perspective since I don't shoot .22. I buy in bulk from sites like unammo.com and I sleep well knowing I don't have to wake up at the buttcrack of dawn to fight with bubba for a measly 150 rds. It's the 21st century by the way.... Who goes to a store anymore!?!

As do I... however lately, I can find pretty easily.... that Walmart is the same as the online places without the bog shipping fees....

When things are 'normal', I try to buy a box or two of ammo a month over and above what I shoot.  I try to vary what I buy so that I can build up an 'on-hand' reserve of at least a few rounds for most of the firearms I own.  Personally, I have not seen any online suppliers with 'better' prices than Walmart except possibly on some occasions if one has the cash on hand to buy in bulk.  As I generally do not have a couple hundred bucks to spare for purchasing ammo in bulk at any, one time there is no real savings for me in ordering online and, in fact, the ammo prices for small orders are often higher than Walmart.  Add in shipping and handling costs and I could probably buy three boxes of ammo at Walmart for what two boxes of the same stuff would cost me online and I walk away from the transaction with ammo in hand, not waiting for it to show up at my door.  Even before online shopping came about, I never liked mail-order as much as going to a brick and mortar store where I could lay hands on the product at the time of purchase and that preference hasn't changed, generally speaking (although I will order from Amazon, etc. if there is something I can't get locally or if the price is much better even including S&H charges.)  To me, ordering things sight unseen just has too much of a 'pig in a poke' feeling to it.  I am just not all that enamored with ordering stuff online nor do I find it to always be the most economical approach.

I used Walmart as my example in the above but the same is also true of buying ammo at Academy and, oftentimes, even at my LGS.  I think the owner of my LGS treats his customers well but he simply doesn't have the buying power to compete with Walmart prices on the ammo they sell.  That said, he sells types/calibers of ammo that Walmart does not stock and on those things I prefer to give him my business rather than ordering online - especially since his prices are generally competitive with or even better than online prices for the small amounts I purchase at any, one time.  Not only does buying those things along with firearms and other accessories from the LGS help support the small, local business but also helps me build/maintain a relationship with the owner and his staff - a relationship that often results in them giving me a good deal on other purchases, such as when buying a used firearm from them, etc.  Because of that relationship, the owner has gone 'above and beyond' in helping me with other firearms related issues in the past (for example, when my P3AT had to go back to the factory he sent it with one of his shipments, free of charge to me, despite the fact I didn't even buy that one from him.)  You don't get that kind of relationship online (nor at Academy or Walmart, for that matter.)

Edited by JAB

Wal Mart may not rape us like some stores but a 50 percent increase in 50 rd boxes of 9mm is a pretty strong increase. Right before everything started, my wal mart was 10 per 50 on federal 9mm, now it is 15.

Edited by cardia10

Mart may not rape us like some stores but a 50 percent increase in 50 rd boxes of 9mm is a pretty strong increase. Right before everything started, my wal mart was 10 per 50 on federal 9mm, now it is 15.

That is an ammo company markup.

I'm fairly sure avid shooters have had it with the scalpers... and have written plenty of letters to the home office about the situation... :) maybe it will help and hope it came from the top dog that every store has to do this... 

Went to another TN walmart for paint, stopped by ammo booth. No .22 obviously.., after chatting with the lady in sporting goods for 15 minutes, she finally let this out "we are taking it upon ourselves as managers and assistant managers to set the ammo out randomly". "It's taking away from our commerce throughout the store and we've seen this". "We are also tired of folding up the sporting goods chairs from the campers and cleaning up their McDonald's and spit cans etc". Sounds like they have not gotten the ok from management, but she's done with people like me just asking. She didn't mean that in a rude way. She also said that they are getting more .22 every month. She exclaimed that 2 525 federals stayed on the shelf overnight last night!!! Hope at last!!