Polar Vortex, Jan. 6th, 2014

runco

Are you prepared for this epic cold weather.   Let us know how cold it gets at your compound. 

Little adventure today and I felt like I was hunting 22 ammo.  I needed some of those outdoor spigot insulators, those that are made of styrofoam and has a plastic tie to the spigot.   I went to 2 Walmarts, 1 Kmart, 1 Freds, 2 small town hardware stores, a couple of Dollar Generals and a Family Dollar, all were sold out.  You know the routine if you are a 22LR ammo hunter.  Anyway finally I took a towel and duct tape and made the prettiest ball of insulation around the spigot my brain could think of. 

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

Are you prepared for this epic cold weather.   Let us know how cold it gets at your compound. 

Little adventure today and I felt like I was hunting 22 ammo.  I needed some of those outdoor spigot insulators, those that are made of styrofoam and has a plastic tie to the spigot.   I went to 2 Walmarts, 1 Kmart, 1 Freds, 2 small town hardware stores, a couple of Dollar Generals and a Family Dollar, all were sold out.  You know the routine if you are a 22LR ammo hunter.  Anyway finally I took a towel and duct tape and made the prettiest ball of insulation around the spigot my brain could think of. 

LOL, that is exactly how I covered mine..  Well after I taped the towel in place, I took a plastic walmart bag and taped it over, to keep dry and as an extra wind break.

Oak Ridge, 46 right now.  was 47 an hour ago, 54 about 4 hours ago.

Edited by vontar
Last year I had two of those covers now I can only find one. I went to my local Ace Hardware and the guy said there wasn't any for 50 miles around. I bought some pipe insulation and use that coupled with some duct tape. It should work. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

Spigott covers!!  There's still time!!!

Go to Lowe's.

Painting Section: 1 smallish grey plastic bucket

Electrical Section: a 20pack of 11" zip ties

Door Hardware: small pack of weather stripping

Insulation Isle: 1 can of the regular "great stuff"

**It costs a bit more than a real one... but it is a lot cheaper than busted pipes!

I'll post pics in a minute.

I bought a couple a month ago and put them on then. I never use outdoor faucets in winter. My daughter looked every where and found none. My wife got on the phone and managed to get a place that said they was out to look in back and they found an unopened box. Daughter got 2 and problem was solved.
Ha! I went to TSC and Walmart looking for some. Nada. Came home searched the garage and shed again for the foam doodads, I know we had some. Gave up. cut 2 pieces of heavy vinyl sign stuff we use as tarps and 2 pieces of tie wire and put one on the back spigot. Went out front put that one on. Walked to back garage door, opened file cabinet we keep solvents n stuff in outside the door. remembered where the foam things were (well one of them anyway) Walked back out front and put the dang thing on.

I also planned for a power outage.  double checked rechargeable items.  Got extra flash lights out and ready just in case.

figure more people will be cranking up the electric heat, an extra load will be on the power grid for the next couple days.

[quote name="Peace" post="1089935" timestamp="1388970947"]Spigott covers!! There's still time!!! Go to Lowe's. Painting Section: 1 smallish grey plastic bucket Electrical Section: a 20pack of 11" zip ties Door Hardware: small pack of weather stripping Insulation Isle: 1 can of the regular "great stuff" **It costs a bit more than a real one... but it is a lot cheaper than busted pipes! I'll post pics in a minute.[/quote]e3u2u6a7.jpg

• Like 1