Is it hard to find 9mm ammo these days?

If you limit yourself to only looking in store, I'm sure it can be. I never have much trouble around the Cool Springs area at Academy, and I've scored at least a couple thousand online at good prices. I think the days are gone of just walking into your LGS and find a good selection
  • Like 1

Yes, it's still hard to find. When you do find it, be prepared to spend $15 a box at minimum. It's really amazing how much ammo prices have increased. I have boxes of 9mm from 2011 that I paid $8.99 for from Cabelas. 

The cheapest 9mm I've seen in the past year is $14.xx from Wal-Mart and I haven't seen any in months. My local Wal-Mart has a 1,200 round ammo can of 9mm for $495 I think.

I can't stomach 9mm at .41 a round

.38 special has also increased in price dramatically. 

• Like 1
Forty is always on the shelves but I can find 9mm about 50% of the time. My local range had some 9mm for $14 a box, bought all they would sell me. I picked up some 40 for the same price even though I don't have a 40 but I plan on getting a Shield in 40 soon enough.
  • Like 1

That's great. Do you have much experience with silver bear? AIM has .45 in stock for a good price and I was tempted to try it.

Yeah, I shoot a lot of steel case ammo in all my calibers: .223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, and 9mm mostly. Silver Bear and Golden Bear are my favorite steel case ammo. When I had a 1911, I shot some Silver Bear through it with no problems at all. Felt hotter compared to the Winchester WB I was shooting with it. AIM has a good price on it for sure.

Forty is always on the shelves but I can find 9mm about 50% of the time. My local range had some 9mm for $14 a box, bought all they would sell me. I picked up some 40 for the same price even though I don't have a 40 but I plan on getting a Shield in 40 soon enough.

What range are you talking about, Fugate's?

What range are you talking about, Fugate's?

Yeah, I try to make frequent trips to Chattanooga though for ammo at GTs, unfortunately they have been closed the last few times I was down there to see friends and family. Their 9mm duty ammo has been scarce, lots of 40 duty ammo though and most of their 40 ammo is cheaper than 9mm ammo. Edited by Duck
9 at a fair price seems like a never ending challenge.outpost had 500 rnd cases of brown and silver bear for @130 a case. Frigging hoarders sucking it up as quick as 22L....the brown bear 115 gr shoots good enough for me I don't know what good the Zinc coated does (silver bear) but it's a tad more... All good,just happy to be able to buy 9 without getting sodomized....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1

Yeah, I try to make frequent trips to Chattanooga though for ammo at GTs, unfortunately they have been closed the last few times I was down there to see friends and family. Their 9mm duty ammo has been scarce, lots of 40 duty ammo though and most of their 40 ammo is cheaper than 9mm ammo.

Got ya. I like Fugate's. They're good people. Check Academy next time you're down around 'Nooga. The last 2 or 3 times I've been down there, they've had plenty of 9mm ball.

I've bought 9mm at Wally' off and on for a year, have even not bought some when I've seen it there.  Bought 6 boxes of federal 9mm couple days after xmas in two different Wallys in Chattanooga.

No probs online in last 6 or 7 months, bought a thou of PMC and a thou of S&B some time back when I saw it even cheaper than Wally's offerings.

The trick, as always, is buy it before you need it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
I have bought some 9mm at Academy which has only been a few of he times they have had it, and it isn't too cheap. If it is over $16 a box I normally pass. The last trip to GTs I got some 124gr Lawman for $14 and 165 gr 40 for $15.
  • Like 1

i saw yesterday a four remington umc 250 meg packs for $90.00 in walmart in chattanooga on gunnbarrel road.   don't know it that is a good price or not.  i reload 9mm and have not bought any for many mango seasons from a store.  they also had several of the $495.00 ammo can of 223 ammo for sale.

• Like 1

i saw yesterday a four remington umc 250 meg packs for $90.00 in walmart in chattanooga on gunnbarrel road.   don't know it that is a good price or not.  i reload 9mm and have not bought any for many mango seasons from a store.  they also had several of the $495.00 ammo can of 223 ammo for sale.

For the 9mm? Normally the 40 is $90 and the 9mm is $70 at Walmarts.