Kids Shooting

My son began shooting IDPA when he was 14.  You might want to visit one of the local matches to see if that would interest him.

Also, at the Gallatin Gun Club Service Rifle Matches, we have several coaches on the line to instruct.  I'm one of them. 

[quote name="DMark" post="1091111" timestamp="1389131833"]My son began shooting IDPA when he was 14. You might want to visit one of the local matches to see if that would interest him. Also, at the Gallatin Gun Club Service Rifle Matches, we have several coaches on the line to instruct. I'm one of them. [/quote] +1 There are more than a few juniors (competitors under 20) shooting High Power at Gallatin. DMark and others there are safe, qualified and excellent instructors.

Check with 4H.  They have what they call the Taget SMART program.  They can shoot BB guns, air rifles, archery and shot guns.  I used to coach a BB gun and air rifle team in West Tn.  One of our shooters won the state championship (held in Columbia) and got to compete in the nationals in Nebraska.  It's a good program.

I am in Mount Juliet so not fair from Gallatin. I have always wanted to join that place.

Contact the GGC sec/treasurer to see if the wait list is currently open.  ronjackson@comcast.net

At the last club meeting it was noted that there are about 175-200 folks on the list.  We are limited on the number of members we can have because the range is located on TVA land (long old ago deal - - - its sort of complicated). 

BUT, no membership is required when taking part in a competitive match being run by the club.  Benchrest, IDPA, Hi Power Rifle, Small Bore Rifle, and ATA Trap matches are all held at the GGC.

Here is the link for the dates when matches are held.

http://www.gallatingun.com/

• 10 months later...

Ok I thought he was jerking my chain about this, but I was wrong. Chase really want to get into shooting competition. So I guess I need to really get some more info on this. I noticed that Gallatin Gun club is having a match in December is this correct? If so who there would be good to talk to and do you just show up.

..... Chase really want to get into shooting competition. So I guess I need to really get some more info on this. I noticed that Gallatin Gun club is having a match in December is this correct? If so who there would be good to talk to and do you just show up.

1.  What type of competition shooting are you interested in?

2.  What firearm(s) and gear do you have?

3.  Any previous training? 

• 4 weeks later...
Well there's only one way to find out what he would like to do, show up and shoot. GGC is shooting IDPA this weekend, a safe working gun, 3 mags but 2 will do, and holsters for both. I'm sure that if he can line up the sights on a rifle, the handgun will be no problem. The people in this community are always willing to help and give advice. Going to be a super nice weekend so come and play the game.
  • Like 1