Any "Gill Gun" Experts On Here?

Sidewinder

As posted elsewhere on this site, I recently acquired a Savage Model 6A, "Gill Gun" in .22 caliber. Anybody know anything about these guns? This one has a tubular magazine, but I understand the Savage Model 7 is clip fed. I've done some research on these guns, but it's always best to get the real scoop straight from the horse's mouth, as a matter of speech. Probably some of you had one of these when you were a kid...maybe your first gun.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess there's not much interest in these old guns...maybe that's why they're so cheap! I've figured mine is dated somewhere between 1945 & 1947. Had to put an outside (right) ejector, plunger and spring in it. Shot it the first time yesterday, and it functioned flawlessly. I found out about the clickaty clack sound, as the bolt does not go back into battery until the trigger is released. Fun gun.

I have quite a bit of time spent working over the Springfield 87 guns...they are practically the same thing.  They are good guns when they are in proper repair, but kinda a pain when parts aren't lined up right.

-The new, dirty ammo spits out of every part of these guns

-The loading mechanism is way more complicated than it should be

The two things that I figured out is that 1) there is a clip type spring that has to be installed perfectly and not bent or you will have feeding problems. 2)there is a metal plate that can be bent to adjust the angle of attack when the cartridge leaves the tube and approaches the loading gate.

Don't let this scare you...when they work - they work perfectly for tens of thousands of rounds (practically forever) with NO issues.

If you can try it out first you are golden if it goes though 2 or 3 mags without problems.

To clean it...take the wood and spray the metal off with brake cleaner...then lube and put back together.

They are pretty darn neat guns...they shoot incredibly well and if the price is right I would buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite a bit of time spent working over the Springfield 87 guns...they are practically the same thing.  They are good guns when they are in proper repair, but kinda a pain when parts aren't lined up right.

-The new, dirty ammo spits out of every part of these guns

-The loading mechanism is way more complicated than it should be

The two things that I figured out is that 1) there is a clip type spring that has to be installed perfectly and not bent or you will have feeding problems. 2)there is a metal plate that can be bent to adjust the angle of attack when the cartridge leaves the tube and approaches the loading gate.

Don't let this scare you...when they work - they work perfectly for tens of thousands of rounds (practically forever) with NO issues.

If you can try it out first you are golden if it goes though 2 or 3 mags without problems.

To clean it...take the wood and spray the metal off with brake cleaner...then lube and put back together.

They are pretty darn neat guns...they shoot incredibly well and if the price is right I would buy it.

Thanks for the feed back I Like Pie. I had to bend the tang you mentioned, to allow the lifter to lift the round closer to the feed ramp. I have a Savage Model 6A, and have ran about two 15 round tubular mag full through it. Still need to sight in the scope. I'm looking for a Savage Model 7...same gun, but clip fed, so I'll have a pair. Fun gun to shoot. I was running Remington Golden Bullets through it, and it ate them like they were candy! I'd love to hear from others who own these guns...maybe pick your brain a little. I'll bet these things were great squirrel and small game guns, back in their day.