AK stock ??

Guest NELSON

DSC00357.jpg

I picked up this furntiture at the gun show last weeknd. They were in great shape and for $40 I didn't think that was too bad.

The problem now is I don't own an AK. My g/f is wanting one and her birthday is coming up, so what better excuse for a new gun. The question I have is: Will theses stocks fit any AK variant. I am looking at this rifle to buy and swap furniture.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=40086

Edited by NELSON
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That buttstock appears to fit a stamped, square cut receiver AK. It should fit most AK variants that you run into(WASR, SAR,etc). Those stocks were used during the previous AWB to get the AK into this country by not having a seperate pistol grip. Most folks have traded them out to the standard AK configuration of pistol grip and seperate stock. Pretty good wood there.

Good luck with your AK project.

Edit: Just looked at what you want to buy. Some of the parts on a WASR have been replaced with USA made parts for legal reasons. These could include the pistol grip or stock or handguards. Be careful that you don't take it out of compliance by adding non-USA parts back into the "count".

Maybe someone who knows WASR's will reply and tell us what USA parts are on it.

Edited by Westwindmike

If you want an AK, fine, but swapping on that furniture isn't really a step forward. more than likely, wherever you get the AK from already swapped the pistol grip as one of the required US made parts to make it legal, so you're probably going to need to swap some other part to US made part over to make up the count difference.

Personally, I think the standard AK setup in the link you posted looks better anyway.

If you shop around, you should be able to find an AK for less than $400... and run it as-is...

As long as theres no way to prove that wood came from out of the country that shouldnt matter should it?

I am normally not a tinfoil wearer... but is this really the battle you want to be taking up with the gov't, should it come down to that?

I'd hate to go to jail based on "the wife likes it" and nothing else.

Oh, and BTW - they can check what wood that is made from, and where that species is native to. And combine that with comparison of other factory non-US stocks that are identical, it isn't going to take much to prove that stock is NOT from the US.

I'd hate to go to jail based on "the wife likes it" and nothing else.

I couldn't agree more. However, she is going to get the gun the way that she wants it. If that means changing more part so that the parts count is up to par than so be it.

I am just concerned with buying a gun that the stocks won't fit on.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

I personally like some of the TH stocks. I have a laminated one that came off an early AK-x import. It's small. LOP is about three inches shorter than standard. I'm going to use it on a Saiga .223 I'm converting for the nieces and nephews to use.

As to 922R........meh..........I think they'd only pursue that as a tack-on to more serious charges. Or, perhaps, if they wanted to get a subversive, be-tin-foiled radical such as myself. :D

Seriously......I don't mess around with 922R. I count my parts, but I also think it would be nearly impossible to prove in most situations if you have the good sense to keep your mouth shut and lawyer up. Whatever type of wood that is, I can guarantee that someone, somewhere has imported more than a few pillow blocks of that species. Were any of these hewn into rifle furniture? Can the government prove otherwise? Beyond a reasonable doubt?