Pipes & Cigars

I have 2 pipes and a humidor full of cigars. It's been a while since I have smoked the pipe though. Really need to break those guys out. I'd smoke that thing 3-4 times a week back in college. Cigar wise I'm a big fan of full flavored cigars. Liga Privadas, Oliva O Maduros and Oliva V's are some of my most favorite. But I also love the mild ones like a Montecristo Classic.
I smoke mainly Tabak Especials. Coffee infused and amazingly good. I have a hard time smoking anything else because I feel so spoiled with those. Worth a shot if you have never had one gentlemen.

The wife and I quit smoking April 1st 2009 when I moved her to Mn. She was at a half a pack a day and I was at 2 packs a day or lucky strike non filters and a can of dip. It was bad. But, what else do you do but smoke when deployed. Such is life. Best thing I've ever done is quit smoking cold turkey.
  • Like 1

I've been a pipe smoker for many years. While my collection consists of about 80-90 pipes, I probably smoke only about 1/3 of them on a regular basis-- some are so expensive (original vintage Preben Holm freehands, a Mark Tinsky, a few Dunhills, etc) that they never leave the house.

I mostly smoke English and Balkan blends w/ lots of latakia and oriental tobaccos, or if I'm in the mood for something different, a nice Virginia/perique blend or Virginia/burley, or possibly some navy-style plug.

I very rarely smoke any aromatics at all-- never could find one that that I could get along with-- not much on super sweet stuff.

• Like 2

I really like the English and Balkan blends too  :up:

Some of my favorites include Samuel Gawith "Squadron Leader", Dunhill "965", Dunhill "Early Morning", Rattray "Accountant's Mixture", McClelland 2030, Wessex "Tradition" and Two Friends "Deacon's Downfall". I also have a nice cache of the original Bengal Slices, which is no longer made, but it's one of my favorites and I use it very sparingly.

As far as Virginia blends go, McClelland "Blackwood Flake", original Wessex, McClelland Christmas Cheer, Grey Havens, and occasional navy flake blends like Escudo and Orlik. I also like just about anything with perique-- Dorchester being one of my favorites, as well as Sunset Flake by Cornell & Deihl.

Although I have a bunch of money sunk into pipes and tobacco, one of my favorite outdoor smokes is an ol' drugstore blend, "Half & Half" in a corncob pipe... doesn't get much better than that for fishing and shootin' out in the great wide open.

I've never been a fan of flavored tobaccos... I just don't get it. I'm not gonna smoke something that smells like burning cookies, and I've never seen a cherry tree growing in a tobacco barn, so I've never understood the use of flavorings and casings to mask a poor blend. Oh, well, to each his own.

Edited by tartanphantom

I too have my grandfather's old pipe.  Ran across it the other day so I thought that I'd throw a pic up from this thread.  I've never smoked a pipe much, just a few times when I was younger.  I think I may clean this one up and go buy some pipe tobaccoo and give it a shot.

18140057_zps60263e81.jpg

That's a vintage Kaywoodie... mostly common drugstore pipes from back in the day, but some of them are now worth quite a bit of money, especially if it reads "Super grain" on the side.  The most important thing though is that it's now a family heirloom... one with memories and possibly a story attached to it-- IMO those are the best pipes ever, regardless of "value".

I've got about 30 pipes at the moment. I've been sorting through them lately trying to reduce it down to about 15. I mainly smoke my Ferndown's and Peterson's, but have a few Stanwell's, Dunhill's and a Castello. My Ferndown's are my favorites. I like just about everything McClelland puts out, but I mainly smoke 5100, Dark Star and Frog Morton on the Town. The new Frog Morton's Cellar is nice too. Other than that I smoke a decent bit of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Dark Flake Scented and Brown Flake Scented. I used to smoke more often, but lately I've just been smoking 4 or 5 bowls a week. Usually on my way home from work.

• Like 2

5100 and Dark Star are two of McClelland's best VA. blends. :up:

I always liked the regular Frog Morton, don't care too much for the "on the town" version. But at least the room note is a little nicer on the latter.

Some of my favorite daily smokers  are a couple of old Sasieni's, a few vintage Comoys, and a pre-transition Barling. Also have a couple of old Petersons that are fantastic pipes-- once I got them broken in (which seemed to take forever). Just recently picked up another Preben Holm-era Ben Wade freehand from the early 70's-- love those pipes, but they are definitely not walk-around smokes.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

5100 and Dark Star are two of McClelland's best VA. blends. :up:

I always liked the regular Frog Morton, don't care too much for the "on the town" version. But at least the room note is a little nicer on the latter.

Some of my favorite daily smokers  are a couple of old Sasieni's, a few vintage Comoys, and a pre-transition Barling. Also have a couple of old Petersons that are fantastic pipes-- once I got them broken in (which seemed to take forever). Just recently picked up another Preben Holm-era Ben Wade freehand from the early 70's-- love those pipes, but they are definitely not walk-around smokes.

I hear you. I have a patent era Dunhill Shell from the war years (1943ish) made after the factory was bombed. I'm just about afraid to smoke it much. It's one of the pipes I'll be letting go to fund some more gun purchases.

I'm a relatively new pipe smoker, but been doing it long enough to have grown a sizable collection. Old Dark Fired and Best Brown Flake are a couple of favorites. I don't do much aromatics, but a bowl now and then. [url=http://s75.photobucket.com/user/whiskey101/media/82B463E3-7615-425B-85DB-E71765CE93CB-3417-000002F7694E1C6D_zps5603c43e.jpg.html]82B463E3-7615-425B-85DB-E71765CE93CB-341[/URL] [url=http://s75.photobucket.com/user/whiskey101/media/29AD4A91-2434-4C73-BDD9-21BF286DBDC8-2759-000002C2DD7E0BF7_zpsa3256c0a.jpg.html]29AD4A91-2434-4C73-BDD9-21BF286DBDC8-275[/URL] [url=http://s75.photobucket.com/user/whiskey101/media/7E0DFC6C-44A5-46CC-AC55-0A7734B20375.jpg.html]7E0DFC6C-44A5-46CC-AC55-0A7734B20375.jpg[/URL] Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I can see how acquiring pipes could be additive just like firearms.

You have no idea... my pipe collection is 6 times the size of my firearms collection... I just realized that I could smoke a different pipe every day for 2.5 months and still not smoke them all. :stunned:

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 2
[quote name="McGarrett" post="1111132" timestamp="1392426049"]I'm not a smoker but always thought that pipe smoking looked like a relaxing hobby. Might be something to try. Nice looking pipes guys, I can see how acquiring pipes could be additive just like firearms.[/quote] Get a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe and a box of Carter Hall and give it a go. You're only out about 12.00 if you don't like it. It does take a little patience and practice though. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
I'm new into cigars and would love to get into pipe smoking. Both can be intimidating really from all the choices of brands, styles, flavors. But as far as cigars I've maybe smoked 30 cigars but I like the java by Drew estate, and the CAO America. Again still very much new so if anyone has good suggestions of favorite smokes, let's hear em! Thanks guys!

I'm new into cigars and would love to get into pipe smoking. Both can be intimidating really from all the choices of brands, styles, flavors. But as far as cigars I've maybe smoked 30 cigars but I like the java by Drew estate, and the CAO America. Again still very much new so if anyone has good suggestions of favorite smokes, let's hear em! Thanks guys!

Check out the Cigar Club store in Madison. They were friendly and helpful to me when I started. 

As far as cigars, I like the Drew Estates Java too. I think that's the cigar I smoked the last few times I chose to smoke a cigar. As for pipes, see my advice a couple posts above. Google "corn cob pipe primer". That will give you plenty of good reading.