TV Converter Box

Guest UKTN

I need a converter box for 1 TV that I use rabbit ears on and I thought I had read a post here where one brand of box was recommended over another brand. I used the search function but couldn't find anything. Anyone got a suggestion?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

most places will recommend a zenith box, model # DTT901, which has the digital and analog tuner, and will allow both signals to pass through until the signal is cut off. these are 59.99 minus the $40 coupon. There are some out there that are 49.99, but have bad reports on them.

we sell these and I'd be happy to answer any questions you had about them. Just stop by hhgregg off Shallowford and ask for Adam. I'll be there all day wednesday

The Zenith and Insignia are the only boxes out there that have the Gen 5 chips. That mostly helps with multi-path problems. I had that problem on analog. No problem now. Both boxes are essentially the same. Made by LG.

I'd recommend either of those. None of the others.

I'm using the Insignia. but researched it a LOT before buying (if you couldn't tells). :D

Guest abailey362

when you get them, make sure to be aware of the expiration date. once they expire you can't use them and can be re-issued. it sucks have to tell grandma and grandpa that a coupon card expired yesterday...or two months ago...knowing that they probably can't even read because of the font size.

and before anyone says it...no you can't make an exception. each coupon card has to be redeemed through the ntia website before it is used and the approval code has to match what's put in for the company to be reimbursed.

Guest abailey362

also if you live on the edge of analog reception....you probably won't be able to get digital reception. don't hear much about these "dead spots" on broadcast tv, because the answer is for them to pump up their output to reach the same people...and that costs money.

I just cant wait for the free wifi that'll be on part of the newly available analog spectrum

Digital TV "food" stamps!!

I gots mine! You can get two vouchers.

If you have cable or satellite, won't need the digital box.

Not necessarily, if you have cable, you have old non digital tv's that are connected directly to the cable, then you will still need the converter box or you need to get a cable box. Am I right on this? I have an old tv in the kitchen, and a older Sony in my bedroom that has no box, just connected directly to the cable wire.

If you let the coupon expire, can't you just order more?

If you let the coupon expire, can't you just order more?

Your limit is 2 coupons. So if you order two to begin with and you let them expire, you're SOL. If you order one and it expires, you can still order the second one.

Guest bluecanary25

db99wj

Only OTA (Over The Air) signal is going to be affected.

This requires a TV aerial to receive signal.

Satellite and cable will continue their service as-is.

When cable goes to all digital, they will offer their own boxes (as anyone that has digital service now, knows).

Satellite is already digital.

Hope this helps.

Not trying to be a smart-ass......

I ain't real brite and DA BOSS says I AM an ass............. :cheers:

db99wj

When cable goes to all digital, they will offer their own boxes (as anyone that has digital service now, knows).

Hope this helps.

I ain't real brite and DA BOSS says I AM an ass............. :cheers:

I appreciate the info. I just want my TV's to work. The Kitchen TV is an old 13" tube, the tube is going out, has been for a year, I have to smack it on the side to get the picture to come up. Still has a great picture though. I have told my wife that I have to buy a new one at the beginning of the year. Going to buy a HD LCD for the kitchen.

I've been accused of being a smart ass and a dumb ass, I guess I need to ask my wife for a clarification!:rock:

Edited by db99wj
Guest abailey362
db99wj

Hope this helps.

I ain't real brite and DA BOSS says I AM an ass............. :P

pretty close on this. Cable will switch over, just not a hard cut off date. They will use the momentum from the analog cut off to switch to digital and require an extra $5 a month per tv to keep em running. They have said they will switch soon, just none of the cable companies will give a date...it will just happen very quickly when they decide to kick it in.

pretty close on this. Cable will switch over, just not a hard cut off date. They will use the momentum from the analog cut off to switch to digital and require an extra $5 a month per tv to keep em running. They have said they will switch soon, just none of the cable companies will give a date...it will just happen very quickly when they decide to kick it in.

Well, about half of Comcast's subscribers are already "switched".

Meaning, if you have "digital service" with the converter box. And more of the regular 1-99 channels have been moved into the higher numbers over the last couple of years. As of now, basic digital service includes one converter box w/ remote, no extra charge.

Matter of fact, I had two boxes, and when they redid the pricing structure some time ago, I quit receiving the additional charge for either box. But of course, overall cable bill has crept up and up anyway.

- OS