window tint question.

vontar

I tried to search to confirm but this is about the best I can come up with.

http://tintlaws.com/tennesee-window-tint-law.php

I have heard in the past, some people say the back glass of a truck doesn't matter however per the link above it appears it has to allow 35 percent as well.

I am not worried about the side glass on the truck I am getting, but the back seems it might be on the dark side.  At the very least I will need to have it checked.

Can anyone confirm if there are any exceptions I am just over looking?

What gets me is how can people have flags and other backgrounds you can't see though in their back glass and not have a problem, but if it is dark tint it becomes an issue?

I noticed in the back glass, I couldn't really see the dealer tag, so I expect I may get stopped and checked with the temp 30 day drive out tag before I get my real tag on it.

Seriously, I see vans drive around with no back glass.

later, night all.

Guest TankerHC

On one of my trucks I had a window sticker of the Armor branch insignia that covered the entire window. You couldnt see into it, but you could see out. I guess that was legal. 

There is no exception to a rear window. All windows in a vehicle must be atleast 35%VLT. The law that covers this is TCA 55-9-107. The only way to have below 35% is to have the approved sticker by TDOS for medical condition or the LEO and commercial motor vehicle exemption per state law.
Guest TankerHC

There is no exception to a rear window. All windows in a vehicle must be atleast 35%VLT. The law that covers this is TCA 55-9-107. The only way to have below 35% is to have the approved sticker by TDOS for medical condition or the LEO and commercial motor vehicle exemption per state law.

Which bring up a question that I have. I'm just guessing you may already know the answer since you know where the Reg to that was. (I couldn't find it). Is there a limit to the amount of tint? Reason I ask, in MS and Colorado (I lived both States) blacked out tint was illegal, in Colorado not only blacked out tint but ground lighting effects and lights around the license plate. Reason I ask, not because I want to do it, factory is already dark enough for me, but I see vehicles all over Chattanooga and the surrounding area with blacked out windows and quite a few with ground lighting effects. Had wondered about that.

Not trying to hijack, just dont want to start another thread on the same topic. Will go BOT.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest Keal G Seo

I didn't think the rear window on trucks mattered. What about older trucks that have no window? The vanity tints? What if you have a bed cover/camper that completely blocks it?

As for the side windows though, I wouldn't go anywhere near the legal limit, that is just asking to get pulled over every time they see it so they can test it. Then on top of that being right at the limit if you have a bit of dust on there blocking even 1% of the light you can get a ticket when it tests 1% over.

VLT = visibile light transmission that is like the darkness. So more than likely if the window is blacked out it is below the 35% level. As far as the ground lights I couldnt give you a clear answer I think it would depend on the color.
I always put temp tags in a ziplock bag and attach them in the normal location, that might solve one of your issues. The tint law is strictly enforced in some areas, and almost ignored in others. I've ran 15% all the way around for a long time and have yet to even have my tint mentioned during a traffic stop. Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I am not 100 percent, but the tint level on this truck, looked factory.  I didn't get right up and check to see if there was a film or if it was truly in the glass.  I had that though as I was leaving the dealership.

The Back side don't appear to dark, but the main back appear to be borderline.

Keal makes a good point, if I had a camper, it would just be blocked for the most part.

Will_reed.  I think in some areas they only check if they are needing to throw the book at someone. 

I had also off and on heard that factory embedded tint was an exception but according to the law that pain103 posted I don't see an exception except for commercial, government and medical.

Thanks.  I will get them checked at the first opportunity.

Edited by vontar

You're not likely to be hassled by the police for excessive rear window tint, based on personal experience.  That is, unless you're a known bad actor.  In that case, the cops will pull you over for window tint, just to talk to you and smell the smoke inside your car.  :D

• Like 1

I traded in a Caddy a few years ago that was blacked out all the way around.

The dealer told me they would have to remove the tint before they sold it because it was illegal to sell it to someone else like that.

If the dealership that you're buying from is reputable, I would think that they wouldn't sell a car with illegal tint. (Liability issues too I would think?)

I don't think you will ever get stopped for excessively dark back window tint, there is supposedly and exception for multi passenger vehicles(vans, SUVs, limos, medical, and LE). Another issue is most tint meters won't work but on roll down side windows. I would venture to say most LEOs think truck back windows can be dark.
Guest Broomhead

I have had tint on the windows of one of my cars since we bought it in 07. It is over the legal limit. Since we have had the car, I have never been pulled over specifically for the tint and I have only had one cop test it. He was trying to find things to write me up for because he was mad that I didn't pull over the exact second he flashed his lights. I'd hit my flashers and acknowledged that he was there and was pulling me over, I was attempting to get to a driveway entrance so that I wasn't completely blocking traffic, thus making it safer for him. He didn't care, he looked over the entire outside of the car and looked inside trying to find something else to get me for.

I have been pulled over a few other times, mostly for speeding, and have not had any other officers even mention the tint. Just having dark windows does not make you an automatic target for cops.

BTW, I'm not bashing the above mentioned cop in anyway, simply stating what I perceived him to be doing.

You're not likely to be hassled by the police for excessive rear window tint, based on personal experience.  That is, unless you're a known bad actor.  In that case, the cops will pull you over for window tint, just to talk to you and smell the smoke inside your car.  :D

In TN no, in VA yes.  TN seems to generally ignore the window tint laws.  If you get pulled over in VA with blacked out windows, expect some hassle.

Another thing to keep in mind....   window tint laws apply where you are, regardless of where the vehicle is registered.  It doesn't matter if the vehicle has FL or AZ tags where the legal tint is 10-20%, if you're in another state where 35% is the max legal tint, you can get a ticket for it. 

• Like 1

In TN no, in VA yes. TN seems to generally ignore the window tint laws. If you get pulled over in VA with blacked out windows, expect some hassle.

Another thing to keep in mind.... window tint laws apply where you are, regardless of where the vehicle is registered. It doesn't matter if the vehicle has FL or AZ tags where the legal tint is 10-20%, if you're in another state where 35% is the max legal tint, you can get a ticket for it.

How so? When I goto Maryland I don't have to have a front plate. I highly doubt a judge would uphold a citation with the same circumstances as you mentioned. Now that doesn't mean an officer would pull you over for it.

I put 20% over top of my factory tint in the rear and xtra-cab windows with 20% only on the door glass and I've never even been questioned about it, my back and extra-cab glass is 8-10% best I can figure.

In TN no, in VA yes.  TN seems to generally ignore the window tint laws.  If you get pulled over in VA with blacked out windows, expect some hassle.

Another thing to keep in mind....   window tint laws apply where you are, regardless of where the vehicle is registered.  It doesn't matter if the vehicle has FL or AZ tags where the legal tint is 10-20%, if you're in another state where 35% is the max legal tint, you can get a ticket for it.

I got nervous last time I drove to VA. Both vehicles have tint done that we're paid with cash, so they are a little darker than normal. Last time my neighbor went to FL, she did get pulled on the interstate for her tint. I've never been pulled or questioned about my windows.

How so? When I goto Maryland I don't have to have a front plate. I highly doubt a judge would uphold a citation with the same circumstances as you mentioned. Now that doesn't mean an officer would pull you over for it.

I put 20% over top of my factory tint in the rear and xtra-cab windows with 20% only on the door glass and I've never even been questioned about it, my back and extra-cab glass is 8-10% best I can figure.

I would assume that like lots of things, it's considered secondary enforcement.  If you run across a LEO in a bad mood, or do something silly and they decide to throw the book at you, it'll be on the list.   My guess is the cops in Maryland recognize you as a tourist and choose not to hassle you about it, unless you give them reason to hassle you. 

I would assume that like lots of things, it's considered secondary enforcement. If you run across a LEO in a bad mood, or do something silly and they decide to throw the book at you, it'll be on the list. My guess is the cops in Maryland recognize you as a tourist and choose not to hassle you about it, unless you give them reason to hassle you.

Agreed, I've drove my truck a lot of places and never been hassled.

It always amazes what is illegal for us peons but is exempted for the Gov.

Too dark of tint is like those covers or rings around your tags. Odds are nobody will say anything to you or even get stopped for it but they are illegal. If you get stopped more than likely are going to get a warning but if you don't get a warning then thats how it goes. Me personally I like having some slight tint but not much more. I think it greatly reduces your visibility at night.

The LEO exemption has come in handy more times than you would think. My vehicle has dark rear windows to help keep my K-9 cool but the fronts are barely tinted. I have also used tinted vehicles to have victims do a drive by or show up without having the suspect mean mugging them.

I run limo tint on my SUV. It's no darker than some of the unmarked crown vics.  ;)
Never been hassled in any state about it.  Then again, I'm not out doing stupid things either!  LOL

Exactly. If you were creeping around the local crack hotel or dope block at the section 8 apartments you might get stopped. But average joe driving to work probably won't hear a word about it.

I used to live near the VA state line and at the time my car was illegal in VA.  I always thought it was dumb they could tell you, that your car perfectly legal in your home state is illegal there.

Guess it is like carry laws, but with a gun you can unload and transport in those cases.  On the side of the road, you can't just peel tint to be legal as you pass though a state.

VA doesn't matter what state you are from, the law applies.

I noticed the TN law had an exception,

(iii)  Any motor vehicle that is registered in another state and meets the requirements of the state of registration. - See more at: http://statutes.laws.com/tennessee/title-55/chapter-9/part-1/55-9-107#sthash.Rbjjw8fa.dpuf

(iii)  Any motor vehicle that is registered in another state and meets the requirements of the state of registration. - See more at: http://statutes.laws.com/tennessee/title-55/chapter-9/part-1/55-9-107#sthash.Rbjjw8fa.dpuf

BTW, I found out, it has factory tint so it is what it is.  I also believe it is probably more of a secondary then a primary.  So as long as I don't draw attention to myself, it should be fine.

Window tint stops are highly dependent on the vehicle the tint is riding on...most of the time.

Someone posted about out of state registration and tint; unless you are residing in TN long term (i.e. - college, work, etc.) your vehicle does not have to comply with 55-9-107. Stopping an out of state tag for window tint alone is not a legal stop - that came straight from the District Attorney when me and some co-workers posed the question a couple years ago. And a TN officer has no authority to enforce any other state's laws regarding window tint (unless there's long term residence, as I said before).

Is that clear as mud?

Here's a scenario:

Say I stop a car for speeding, and it's a visitor from Utah. And let's also say that I have a list which shows that Utah's tint requirement is 40%. I proceed to measure the tint, which comes in at 20%. Even though I know Utah's requirement, and that the vehicle is in violation, I have no authority to enforce their law under my commission on a visiting vehicle.

Hope that helps.