Taurus and I'm not happy

I've had a PT709 'Slim' for several years.  Thought it was a decent gun, convenient to carry and actually shot very well.  Always functioned.......until 3-4 months ago.  Started having light primer strikes.  At first a rare happening, but  unreliable none the less.  Then much more frequent.  Well as you know they have a lifetime warranty.  Sent it back (my dime).  They have had it a little over 3 months now.  I've called once a month because the online repair tracker says they are awaiting parts.  First, last month they finally said they were waiting on a barrel.  Now this month a new striker assembly.  I know this stuff comes from Brazil, but enough is enough; especially enough of Taurus.  It was a good reason to go and buy the S&W Shield, but I'm finished with Taurus, nor would I recommend someone buy one, unless you truly have a lifetime to wait on parts and turnaround.

I've owned one Taurus and it was the first pistol I bought. 24/7 pro in 9mm. It was a great carry gun and 100% reliable. I sometimes wish I'd kept it.

That being said, it's hard not to to see all the issues they seem to have with quality control and their "warranty" is apparently pretty bad as well.

It's a shame because the have had some good ideas over the years.

Edited by Erik88

Yeah, quality does cost more.  I understand all guns of all makes have problems from time to time, just like anything mechanical.  But what really got me thinking is that the barrel quality has to really be questioned if the headspace changed enough to give light primer strikes and they recognized it.  And it is not like this gun has had even a thousand rounds through it.  Like eric said, it seemed to be a good idea....almost a clone of the Shield.  Just thought I would fulfill my promise to Taurus that I would be sure and let others know of my experience. :rant:

What is strange is years of trouble free service then problems with parts that don't typically fail.

Is 3 months excessive for what will be a total re-furb?

Maybe...but it can make some sense getting critical parts from Brazil if their business model is for the U.S. part supply stock to be for wear and tear items.  

After my less-than-stellar experience with a local 'smith, I realized time moves at a different pace on the bench.

If I'm not mistaken I have heard on the news recently that Brazil is having some unrest issues. Something about the Government and elections which may also be slowing down the time it is taking. Not sure but could be an issue for them. I hope my Bersa's never get any issues even though they don't have a lifetime warranty I spoke with my gun smith and he said he has not had any issues getting Bersa parts when he needs them. Sorry your having the bad issues with Taurus. Hope it gets resolved soon and your gun comes back in 100% great shape..............jmho

I had to send in a pt22 for warranty repair. It took forever but it was repaired when it came back. Then I sold it :) Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

May be a good plan....sort of like an ex-girl friend......never the same and can't trust 'em.

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

Had a PT92 a while back. Firin' pin broke the tip off. Sent it back explaining that fact and that the barrel set pointing left all the time ridin' that side of the slide bore forcing me to adjust my sights way too much to the right to compensate. Well, they fixed the firing pin but did nothing about the barrel, just sent me a 3 rd. target "copy" sayin' that it hit fine. I swear it was a copy of the one I got when I bought it. Took over 3 months to get the damn thing back. Of course, I traded it, right after. Not sure I'd buy another Taurus pistol, again. Doubtful but I do want a Circuit Judge somethin' bad. With it's quick 5 shot capability and short size, it should be a good "house" shotgun and it might even make a good short range deer gun with rifled slugs or .45 CL.

What, a Taurus malfunction? No way! *insert sarcasm here* After talking to a fella that's owned a shop here for a number of years, he has told me the number one gun they log in for repairs are Taurus weapons. One of my best friends whom owns a new shop has had five and he got rid of them as none of them would cycle a full mag. I watched a brand new out of the box, Judge's firing pin lock up on first shot. I will NEVER own one, regardless of the propaganda that Taurus lovers give me.

Guest Bonedaddy

Other than the Circuit Judge, I wouldn't have another. Read a lot of reviews of their guns comin' in new that were full of grime and the metal all burred up, plus, a lot of weak, breaking firing pins. Not good bizniz IMHO. Just not made so well, I'm a thinkin' but I do like the idea of the CJ and its size. It's somethin' even my wife could handle easily inside the house. Use some 4 shot and she would be good to go. Who knows on the quality as I've never shot one, yet. That PT92 got traded in on a SR9 and I couldn't be happier.

I too, own a PT709 that would not run well.  It rarely made it through a magazine without a malfunction.  Failure to extract, failure to eject, etc. I probably shot a thousand rounds of factory and reloads trying to find a reliable load.  (I work near Owl Hollow, it was a lunch time thing.) 115s through 147s.  Lead, plated, RN, JHP, FP....  The first trip to Miami, at their expense, did not help.  On the scond trip they replaced the slide and barrel.  I paid the shipping. (The thing was so poorly built that the cartridge rim wore a groove in the side of the slide.)  The good news is that it now runs with everything I put through it.   I put a Glock trijicon sight on the front and made a new rear sight to adjust the POI.

I too, own a PT709 that would not run well.  It rarely made it through a magazine without a malfunction.  Failure to extract, failure to eject, etc. I probably shot a thousand rounds of factory and reloads trying to find a reliable load.  (I work near Owl Hollow, it was a lunch time thing.) 115s through 147s.  Lead, plated, RN, JHP, FP....  The first trip to Miami, at their expense, did not help.  On the scond trip they replaced the slide and barrel.  I paid the shipping. (The thing was so poorly built that the cartridge rim wore a groove in the side of the slide.)  The good news is that it now runs with everything I put through it.   I put a Glock trijicon sight on the front and made a new rear sight to adjust the POI.

bonedaddy.........you must be a glutton for punishment :cool: doubt I will ever buy another Taurus :puke: with the other quality firearms available. IF I ever need a firearm in an emergency, I want one I can bet my life on.

I have a Taurus model 444 ultralight Raging Bull 6 shot 44 magnum revolver with a 4 inch barrel that I would absolutely bet my life on. I have fired at least 1500 full power loads and probably 500 more cast lead rounds through it a with out a single hiccup. It is 28 ounces of perfection in my opinion.

I know Taurus has had a lot of problems over the last few years, however, I believe that their large frame revolvers are amazing. Just my 2 cents.
I will not send them a used gun for repair or warranty work. I call and order what I need to fix it myself.

I have had them demand that I send a gun in to have a sight replaced. I refused and bought a set. The sights were cheaper than shipping and a lot quicker. The sight issue was a Bud's Gun Shop issue and not a Taurus issue.

I love my Taurus 24/7 OSS DS in 9mm. I have at least 2,500 rounds through it now without issue. It is one of the most accurate semi autos I have shot.

I will say that the times I have spoke to Taurus CS I learned they are BS artists. They know how to tell you what you want to hear. But calling them on it generally gets the truth.

"....I love my Taurus 24/7 OSS DS in 9mm. I have at least 2,500 rounds through it now without issue. It is one of the most accurate semi autos I have shot...."

Second that. I got one of the OSS models in a trade deal several years ago and have been really pleased with it. As with most guns I own, it is far more accurate than I am.

Just on a side note...I have a Glock hating buddy who swears that the OSS is the best poly gun he's ever shot. But then he hates all poly guns as well. So maybe that's not much of an endorsement.

I had a PT145 shot less than 200 rounds thru it started misfeeding. Sent to Taurus and they sent it back in 4 months. Fired first shot and still had the same problem. Sent it back and 5 months later got it back. Said it was bad mags gave me 2 new ones. Fired another 100 rounds thru it and the same problem again.  Returned again to Taurus and they sent me back a new gun after 7 months. Sold the gun as soon as i got it back. Would never ever buy another one. 

I had a PT145 shot less than 200 rounds thru it started misfeeding. Sent to Taurus and they sent it back in 4 months. Fired first shot and still had the same problem. Sent it back and 5 months later got it back. Said it was bad mags gave me 2 new ones. Fired another 100 rounds thru it and the same problem again.  Returned again to Taurus and they sent me back a new gun after 7 months. Sold the gun as soon as i got it back. Would never ever buy another one. 

Being a glutton for punishment, I too own a PT145.  Mine was problematic with the original magazines but shoots fine with the latest using full power ball but not everyone is as fortunate.  It went back to Miami once. Many, including mine, would drop the magazine without hitting the button.  Taurus refuses to modify the magazine catch to solve the problem but a few minutes with a file will do the trick.  Mine is fitted with a laser/light and serves as a bedside gun.  I laugh when I see Jessie Duff endorsing Taurus.  They must pay her a lot.  I'll bet the 1911 she shoots went to a third party for rebuilding.