Another New AR Caliber Debuted At SHOT

It's called the .416 Hushpuppy, developed by AM-TAC Precision (who?).  The Firearm Blog has the writeup here.  Based on the limited information available, it looks like a slow-moving short range round for closer work...it also looks like some of the wildcats our own Dolomite has come up with.  It looks like a hog-buster for sure, but there are no tables I could find to see how it compares to .458 SOCOM - or anything else, for that matter.  The most interesting takeaway for me is that the round is designed to yaw when it hits a soft target, so the wound channel should be pretty devastating - the company is claiming a bigger channel than that of a 12ga slug, with a maximum point blank range of 200 yards.  If those claims are proven out, the round would be capable of handling any TN game assuming penetration is comparable with other hunting bullet styles.  Since the bullets pictured appear to be match-style open tipped, that last part is pure speculation.

I don't have any need for it in my life, but I do find it heartening to see folks innovating and pushing the envelope as far as what the AR action is capable of.  You never know where the next big thing is going to come from.

650x433xDSC1850.jpg.pagespeed.ic.MXyGXCs

Why not just use necked down 45 ACP brass? Would make it more appealing to people rather than some sort of proprietary piece of brass. Or you could even use any brass from a caliber based on 308 Winchester. You could use the same bolt as what is used for a 458 SOCOM which is probably about as easy to find as a bolt for 7.62x39 right now.

Looking at the case size they are very limited on either bullet weight or powder charge.

Not sure this is is better, in any way, than the 458 SOCOM.

Let me let everyone in on a little secret...after nearly 150 years of metallic cartridges and 50 years of the AR platform...there are no more new developments.

Why must you spoil our childlike fun? :)

Besides, I have a fondness for .41 cal rounds. The .41 mag holds a special place in my heart. Edited by Clod Stomper

Why not just use necked down 45 ACP brass? Would make it more appealing to people rather than some sort of proprietary piece of brass. Or you could even use any brass from a caliber based on 308 Winchester. You could use the same bolt as what is used for a 458 SOCOM which is probably about as easy to find as a bolt for 7.62x39 right now.

Looking at the case size they are very limited on either bullet weight or powder charge.

Not sure this is is better, in any way, than the 458 SOCOM.

Almost a Grendel spin, except they can't make the case any fatter. The 458 SOCOM case (which may be the parent for this one) is as big as you can fit in the barrel extension.

Guest Bonedaddy

Let me let everyone in on a little secret...after nearly 150 years of metallic cartridges and 50 years of the AR platform...there are no more new developments. 

Yep. New things are startin' to become comical, now.

Guest mackdoc1
guys contrary to what your wife has told you all the years size does mater every one is trying. to be biter and better than the next guy I love this and any thing that comes out for the AR/M16 platform KCCO

At first I thought Twilight Sparkle = glitter which = stripper dust which = strippers and I was happy where we were headed.

Then, I Googled Twilight Sparkle and was depressed...

The round does look like something that would look good in the dark of a club and not so good in the light of day...

Glad I never experienced THAT before...

Mark

LOL, I started watching a documentary the other day on bronies. Some people are really weird,

I just Googled "bronies" but made 2 mental guesses as to what it was going to be before I searched it...... Not only was I way off on both guesses but I've come away feeling a little worse about the future of our planet.