Explain to me the legalities of shooting on your own land outside city limits

Junkstack

I've seen many threads about people shooting (safely) on their own land, and it always comes up about being outside of city limits. My wife and I are about to start looking for land to build a house and would like to be able to shoot some steel on my own land. Obviously it would be done with a safe back stop (large dirt mound) and I would be shooting suppressed (just to help with the sound, but not that anyone will be close). I'm curious about legal statutes, city limit maps (Chattanooga), and experiences anyone has with this.

Go to the Police Department that would respond to someone calling in about you shooting, ask to talk with a Command Officer and see what they tell you. Because what anyone else says really doesn’t matter.

And have a 50/50 risk of someone being anti-gun and not actually going on what the law is simply "because it could be dangerous"? No thanks.

And have a 50/50 risk of someone being anti-gun and not actually going on what the law is simply "because it could be dangerous"? No thanks.

You asked homeskillet, they gave you a response, no reason to get uppity. Most, not all but MOST, of law enforcement are all for responsible citizens and their second amendment rights. I suggest looking into county ordinances on the matter. 

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 4

That’s why I suggested you talk to a Command Officer; they will tell you what the law is and how their Officers will enforce it. It was just a suggestion; sorry you didn’t like it.

Here is a link to the TN state laws. They don’t cover city ordinances or Department Policy’s a particular department may have.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

When I moved to Gallatin, just outside the city limits, I called the PD. I asked about shooting, and the officer asked my address. He said, "That's outside the limit, right?" I replied yes. He said shoot all I want.

And that’s fine, but my point is that if Sumner County SO responds to a call at your house; what Gallatin PD told you is meaningless if SCSO has something different to say.

You asked homeskillet, they gave you a response, no reason to get uppity. Most, not all but MOST, of law enforcement are all for responsible citizens and their second amendment rights. I suggest looking into county ordinances on the matter. 

Who's uppity? :ugh: Yeah, he gave a response and it isn't what I'm looking for. Next...

And that’s fine, but my point is that if Sumner County SO responds to a call at your house; what Gallatin PD told you is meaningless if SCSO has something different to say.

And that proves exactly what I was saying. Why ask someone that may either be against it or flat out not know, but pretends he/she does? I'd rather find actual law and people that have experience in it. 

And that proves exactly what I was saying. Why ask someone that may either be against it or flat out not know, but pretends he/she does? I'd rather find actual law and people that have experience in it.

Well…. That was kinda my point. The people that will be responding to the call know the actual law and have experience in it. But as you said, that isn’t what you are looking for, so maybe someone will be along shortly to fill you in with what you are looking for.
Here is the code for Chattanooga city limits:

Sec. 25-6. Target or practice shooting. (a) It shall be unlawful to target practice with a firearm without the express written consent of the owner of the property, either public or private, where such target practice occurs. Such written consent shall be on the person of the shooter while shooting. It shall further be unlawful to discharge a firearm on any property, public or private, with or without consent, wherein such discharge endangers adjacent or neighboring property, either public or private, or the owners or tenants thereof. It shall further be unlawful to discharge a firearm on any property, public or private, with or without such written consent, wherein such discharge disturbs nearby residents or businesses. (b) For the purposes of this section, the term "firearm" shall mean any weapon from which a shot is discharged by force of an explosive or a weapon which acts by force of gunpowder, and shall also include all weapons which expel a projectile by means of the expansion of compressed air and/or carbon dioxide; the term "disturbs" shall mean to create a loud or obnoxious noise; the term "endangers" shall mean to discharge a firearm in a manner that shot or projectiles cross or fall on other properties; and the term "nearby" shall mean any property within six hundred (600) feet of the point of firearm discharge. (Code 1986, § 25-6)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
You'll just have to do your homework and make sure you know the state laws, local laws and ordinances, and where the city limits are. Most of the time it's all available online. If not, you can call or visit the county courthouse.

The vast majority of cities prohibit discharge of a firearm within city limits. There may be other requirements regarding proximity to buildings, noise, etc.
Guest Keal G Seo

Most of the time inside the city limits it more a Disturbing the Peace deal than it is discharging on your own property. Your best bet, if building outside the city limits, is to check with either the SO and/or your local lawyer. Most places it shouldn't be a problem if done properly but you always want to check the local stuff.

Who's uppity? :ugh: Yeah, he gave a response and it isn't what I'm looking for. Next...

Man my life sure would be better if I only got what I wanted too...

It doesn't really matter if you can quote all the law if the officer that responds wants to arrest you. Sure, you can beat it in court, after you bail out, and pay a lawyer and miss work...

Pretty bad shame that a simple question at the office would solve it.

• Like 2

Also realize that cities annex all the time. Our little town has grown by 3x the residents in the last 10 years despite people leaving because they continue to expand the city limits. What was once in the county may be in the city in the future unless you are WAY out.

There is not a law on the books that will prevent you from getting arrested, even if the officers are 100% wrong and you are 100% right. Knowing the law will help you when you get in front of a judge but I can assure you that if an officer wants to arrest you then you will be arrested. Legally you cannot physically resist to avoid arrest even if you are 100% right. If the officers are going to arrest you then you can either go to jail on the bogus charge and have it dropped later or you can resist and get charged with resisting arrest which will stick even if the officers were wrong for arresting you. If they are going to arrest you they are not going to want to hear what the law says. And one more thing, being abrasive when they show up is not the best course of action either.

DaveTn gave the best advice in talking to the agency that will be responding to any calls. I even invited them to my place to shoot.

I've never had a problem shooting at any property outside of city limits where it was a safe to do so.  I've even shot in a couple of subdivisions.  My MIL lives in a cul-de-sac and her yard backs up to a very steep hill.  All the neighbors will come over to shoot.  It's pretty cool for suburbia.  If you don't want to open that can of worms with the local SO (and it would be a SO as opposed to a PD since you are outside city limits) you could always hire a lawyer and seek their opinion. 

I lived in one place in a very rural area and shot in my back yard, as did one of my neighbors (wasn't really a neighbor, lived 1/4 mile down the road.  We had a guy about a half mile down that would call the SO every time we would shoot.  I can't imagine anyone living in a setting that rural and having problems with neighbors shooting???  Sherriffs office responded a couple of times when I was having a shooting marathon.  Pretty much said something like said "Guy down the road made a complaint so we had to check it out, you are being safe, what are you shooting?  That guy is an idiot!" 

Also realize that cities annex all the time. Our little town has grown by 3x the residents in the last 10 years despite people leaving because they continue to expand the city limits. What was once in the county may be in the city in the future unless you are WAY out.

There is not a law on the books that will prevent you from getting arrested, even if the officers are 100% wrong and you are 100% right. Knowing the law will help you when you get in front of a judge but I can assure you that if an officer wants to arrest you then you will be arrested. Legally you cannot physically resist to avoid arrest even if you are 100% right. If the officers are going to arrest you then you can either go to jail on the bogus charge and have it dropped later or you can resist and get charged with resisting arrest which will stick even if the officers were wrong for arresting you. If they are going to arrest you they are not going to want to hear what the law says. And one more thing, being abrasive when they show up is not the best course of action either.

DaveTn gave the best advice in talking to the agency that will be responding to any calls. I even invited them to my place to shoot.

So you called a responding agency and asked for the legalities of shooting on your land?

I've not paid much attention since I've never lived anywhere that shooting would be possible but don't I recall some restrictions about distance from the road and residential buildings? I believe that may be a state law.

Edited by tnguy

You were. 

don_t-be-a-douche-7.jpg

Well my sincerest and most humble apologies kind sir. I'm sure it is quite difficult to determine to intent behind simple words on a computer screen without seeing a person's body language or voice leaving it to be subjectively interpreted by the reader. I do apologize for the misinterpretation.

Edited by Junkstack

I've not paid much attention since I've never lived anywhere that shooting would be possible but don't I recall some restrictions about distance from the road and residential buildings? I believe that may be a state law.

Here in Putnam County, I went over to a buds and we just go out back to blast some rounds. A sheriff's deputy showed up one time when I wasn't there, they had apparently gotten calls about "full auto" fire. It was my brosef mag dumping a MAK90, lmao. The deputy checked out the rifles, saw that the MAK wasn't "full auto" watched them blast a few more rounds and left. I'm sure the closer you get to a metropolitan area, the more nervous and anti-gun people will become so it will vary from county to county.