Explain to me the legalities of shooting on your own land outside city limits

Junkstack

So you called a responding agency and asked for the legalities of shooting on your land?

No, because I live in the county so I knew I was legal and besides I knew most of the officers when I moved to where I live now.

I tell everyone who asks your same exact question to go ask the responding agency. Officers are not out to get you, they want their shift to go by as easy as possible and I can assure you that responding to a report of gun fire is not at the top of their list of things to do. By inviting them to your house they will do exactly to you what they do to me when they get a call about gunfire, they assure the complainant that everything is just fine and not to worry. Doesn't hurt to invite your neighbors over to shoot either.

• Like 1
[quote name="Junkstack" post="1097311" timestamp="1390081572"]Thank you. Someone that understands what I'm looking for.[/quote] Don't thank me yet. I agree with what others have said. You should call the responding agency and discuss it with them. Even though you have a copy of the law in your hand, you can still go to jail if that is what the officer wants to do. There are plenty that go spend a weekend for POP (Pissin Off the Police). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't thank me yet. I agree with what others have said. You should call the responding agency and discuss it with them. Even though you have a copy of the law in your hand, you can still go to jail if that is what the officer wants to do. There are plenty that go spend a weekend for POP (Pissin Off the Police). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I want the law, that's what was provided. Only an idiot would think that the police can't arrest you for something else. That's just common sense.

There is not a law on the books that will prevent you from getting arrested, even if the officers are 100% wrong and you are 100% right. Knowing the law will help you when you get in front of a judge but I can assure you that if an officer wants to arrest you then you will be arrested. Legally you cannot physically resist to avoid arrest even if you are 100% right. If the officers are going to arrest you then you can either go to jail on the bogus charge and have it dropped later or you can resist and get charged with resisting arrest which will stick even if the officers were wrong for arresting you. If they are going to arrest you they are not going to want to hear what the law says. And one more thing, being abrasive when they show up is not the best course of action either.

I thought that in Tennessee you have the right to resist an unlawful arrest. I don't remember if I read that or was just told that.

And have a 50/50 risk of someone being anti-gun and not actually going on what the law is simply "because it could be dangerous"? No thanks.

Then risk being arrested or cited for disturbing the peace! After all you asked!

Dave

I thought that in Tennessee you have the right to resist an unlawful arrest. I don't remember if I read that or was just told that.

Try it sometime and let us know how it works out for you.

If The Man wants to arrest you there's not a thing you can do about it.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

I talked to a Sherriff deputy here in Montgomery County about me setting up a little range here at my house in the county, outside the city limits, just for me and my kids to shoot on. I was told shooting was no problem (I don't remember if it was a County or State thing) but if I shot more than 300 rounds per month, I would be required to get petitions signed by the neighbors and apply for a range permit. I would also be responsible for any damages that occurred to the property of others and could be charged for disturbing the peace if a complaint was filed. He also advised me to go talk to my neighbors and let them know what I was doing, and what would be the best hours for me to shoot that didn't bother them. Worst thing in the world you can do is piss off your neighbors with your shooting. Your life will be miserable on your property as long as you live there!

Dave

I also try to be aware of my neighbors. I generally shoot during the weekdays and quit before 3pm. Most neighbors, the ones I don't hate, are at work during this time so they don't hear a lot of shooting. But even when I talked to them they said it didn't bother me.

The only neighbor that had an issue with me shooting has a problem with guns. He doesn't live up here but visited his property every couple of months. I caught him trying to look in our house with binos. I walked in and then back out to look at him. He didn't appreciate the fact I was looking back at him with a scope. A few weeks later I was showing some kids how to shoot and he came on our porch cussing about all the shooting. My wife asked him to leave and he caused a big stink. My wife said she was going to call the cops and he said that isn't the way to treat neighbors. We told him we don't care because he came up cussing. I even gave him my number and I told him to call me before he came up and he would never hear another gunshot. His response was that people should not be shooting those things anyways. I told him that the shooting wasn't going to stop and he said he would see about that. He said he was going to call the cops and tell them I was shooting illegal machine guns, which I don't have or shoot. After that he would honk his horn any time he was on his property and I was shooting. After that we put a metal gate up across the driveway and after that he would spin his tires and honk his horn when he realized he couldn't come back on our property. He even decided to shoot in an attempt to upset me as I was shooting. I just chuckled. There is a lot more to the story but I am not going to go into more detail.

I have even had to shoot some big stuff in the middle of the night and the cops never show up.

• Like 1

In addition to the above, common courtesy goes a long way. On occasion I'll get company over that wants to shoot and I don't feel like driving all the way to the range. I'll call my two closest neighbors 1/4 & 1/2 mile away respectively, and inform them I plan on shooting today so don't be alarmed, and if they know of anyone on their property hunting or out and about, as I don't want to disrupt a hunt or risk an errant bullet by a guest. I'll limit the shooting to an hour or two maximum.

They appreciate it and I get along well with the neighbors.

• Like 1

I wonder where he came up with the number. :ugh: I hope that isn't state wide.

I'm not sure. I never questioned it as I figure I could not or would not shoot 300 rounds or more a month anyways. It could be a county thing...I don't know!

Dave

My wife and I are seriously considering buying a house with 15 acres that we have found.  Two reasons for this purchase is for the kids to have some large property to explore and play.  The other reason is to have a Hickok45 type shooting compound.  The property is in the county, and is miles and miles from the nearest city limit.  The property lays well and where I would shoot is in a small wooded hollar, and then there is an open field for long range shooting.  It really will be a great piece.  Anyway, there would be neighbors within ear shot of the shooting.  Before I shell out the big $$$ for the property, I have been considering visiting the neighbors, just to get a feel of the neighbors and test the waters of their gun stance.  I do know one of the neighbors is a deputy in the local Sheriff's office, maybe a higher up.    The point of this, this thread is very interesting, informative, and gives me additional thought before we pull the trigger (no pun intended).

Edited by Runco

I would just recommend that even with a decent backstop you don't shoot in a direction where your neighbors may be right behind the target.

On Christmas morning we had a man get killed while working in his yard. His neighbor was shooting at this private range and somhow managed to send a round into the chest of the man next door.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/deputies-man-dead-after-being-shot-possible-stray-/ncThz/

Just be very sure you won't put your neighbors in danger. 

"Exempt Personal Firing Range: A location where a person may engage in
target firing or plinking (at non game targets) with legal firearms on his
own property or on the property of another with the consent of its property
owner or lessee for persons of no more that three (3) consecutive days per
month or five (5) total days per month, not exceeding 200 rounds of
ammunition per person, per day."

This appears to be the amended ordinance for Montgomery County. It would be worth checking your county to see if there are any restrictions on shooting on your property. Also, Montgomery County has on the books, "zoning and nuisance" laws which shooting would fall under. Land use and Zoning Restrictions must also meet noise control requirements depending on where the property is located and how zoned. If your property is Zoned "Residential" beware, even if living in the county!

The Sheriff Deputy told me wrong at 300 rounds per month. Its been a couple years and that may have been the case at one time but has apparently been changed.

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

+1 on meeting the neighbors, but i wouldnt lead with the gun thing

Certainly agree.  I would probably lead into how quiet the area is, have there been any break-ins, and then question on hunting that will lead to occasional target practice. 

Edited by Runco

I'm not sure. I never questioned it as I figure I could not or would not shoot 300 rounds or more a month anyways. It could be a county thing...I don't know!

Dave

300 rounds a month is just 10 rounds a day. We've gone thru more than 300 rounds on a Sunday afternoon. And, that's in the back yard BTW.
  • Like 1

It appears that shooting no more than Five days a month has caused me to break the law. Every single day (no days missed) I fire at least 1 round at my target every single day!!!! My neighbors haven't complained in a while, so I guess one a day doesn't pee them off!

Dave

Edited by DaveS