Finally cutting the cable cord

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest Keal G Seo

Well I currently have Dish Network and their price finally went back up, off of promotional pricing, to 97 bucks a month. They aren't cutting me any more deals (at least short of me actually saying "Ok then cut it off today") and the next package down knocks 1/2 of my channels off the list...the beauty of packages instead of a la cart. So I am in the process of cutting the cord all together.

My first decision is which TV to get for the living room (bedroom is already set). It is a toss up between $350 for a 47" plain Jane HDTV + a $99 Roku or a $350 for a 42" smart TV with the apps pre-installed. Is the $100 difference worth it for 5 more inches and a stand alone app unit?

Second decision is Netflix or Amazon. For sure getting Hulu for the most current TV streaming but as for movies and such not sure which of these two I would prefer. Any suggestions on why I should choose one over the other?

I already have computers and tablets that can be connected for other streaming stuff and I know they can be used in place of the Roku but given some of the less tech savvy people in the household I would rather just give them a remote.

Any other words of advice/encouragement for me?

The vast majority of the TV I watch is streaming and an occasional rented DVDs...my DirectTV bill is due soon and I'm probably going to cut it off in a few days (I've been holding out a bit because I still have some things recorded that I want to watch and I'm pretty sure my ability to run my DVR will end once the service is off).

I currently have Nefflix and Amazon and overall I find the content on Amazon to be a bit better but haven't decided which to keep (leaning toward Amazon). I don't have a Roku and was considering getting one.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest Keal G Seo

Ok, since I am not to smart on all these high tech gadgets.  I am now with Netflix and get about 10 or 12 movies a month. Sometimes more. Now with that said. Does Amazon offer a similar program like Netflix?

I will be going with the streaming service not the DVD/BR by mail. Amazon offers a similar streaming service with mostly the same stuff but a few exclusives and a PPV service, Netflix has a couple of made for Netflix shows. Amazon does not offer DVD/BR by mail.

I am leaning towards the Amazon side for the $26/year savings plus free 2 day shipping for Prime items but wasn't sure if Netflix had something else over them or if the made for Netflix series were worth it.

Edit:Actually thinking about it, could get all three for about 275/year. Compared to Dish that is 3 months of service ($1152/year). Might as well get all three, right? Still about a 75% yearly savings.

Edited by Keal G Seo
I've been off the cable/sat train for more than 2 years now. I bought a decent digital antenna and mounted it in my attic, then trunked it into the main co ax junction box so it feeds all tvs in the house.

Between that, Netflix, and hulu I'm good to go. Costs me a grand total of $19 a month. The trick on Netflix is to search though, cause the normal listings get old quick. There is tons of stuff. Sports ect. But searching is required
  • Like 1

Ok, since I am not to smart on all these high tech gadgets.  I am now with Netflix and get about 10 or 12 movies a month. Sometimes more. Now with that said. Does Amazon offer a similar program like Netflix?

Amazon has video service that is similar to Netflix  If you are an Amazon Prime member (yearly fee) you get free 20 day shipping on anything Amazon actually sells you get a huge amount of stuff (movies, tv shows) for free from their video service. You can also rent movies (new releases, etc) from Amazon Video.

As with Netflix, you have to have software "somewhere"...my TV has Netflix and Hulu preloaded; I use my PS3 for other services such as Amazon.

I'm still struggling with figuring out the best combination for me and then figuring out what to do with my flatscreen in the bedroom as the only thing feeding it right now is my DirectTV service!

I have been cable free for about a year. The real downside, as Randy W mentioned, is the lack of sports programming and ESPN. I have Hulu Plus, Netfilx instant and Amazon Prime, although the Amazon was purchased more for the free two day shipping on purchases than the streaming tv service. If you are deciding between Amazon Prime and Netflix, I recommend Netflix as it seems like it provides a greater number of movies and shows. All of my software runs on an Xbox one, but I have also used a Roku 2 and thought it performed well. 

I have been researching this too. Only problem so far for me is Sports. No ESPN for college football.  Anybody figured this part out?

For the die hard sports guy, have a.friend who has comcast and offer to pay for their sports package in return for their login...then you can watch it on the go via an app on an iPad/tablet/smartphone, then if at home use Apple TV or chrome cast to toss it up on the big screen...works like a champ!
  • Like 1
My wife and I got rid of cable about 3 months ago and don't miss it except for the sports. We stream off a Roku 3 in the bedroom and XBOX one in the living room. I wouldn't recommend streaming off a smart tv because the apps are way to slow compared to the Roku. We have subscriptions to amazon prime, netflix, and hulu plus. Like wiljo05 said, if you know someone who has cable or satellite who is willing to allow you to use there acct, you can gain access to sports and other channels.
Chrome Cast is a cheap alternative if you decide to not go the Amazon route. You can watch movies directly from Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube. You can also use a extension in chrome to cast your browser, but you can't turn your computer off while you do it this way.

Sent from the blue lagoon.
  • Like 1

Keal,

Wife and I cut the cord about 5 years ago, currently have Hulu, Netflix, and Prime. Oddly enough we're about to cancel Hulu b/c it overlaps greatly with what is available here OTA, so our DVR catches that. Otherwise Netflix and Prime both have either exclusives or originals that we watch and love. (Prime- Justified, Political Animals, Betas) (Netflix- House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and Lilyhammer)

I highly recommend http://canistream.it/ for making sense of what is available at any given time on the different services, and allows you to set reminders for when a show becomes available on a particular service.

http://instantwatcher.com/ is another netflix content tracking site the wife uses frequently.

If you have a SO or have guests using a particular TV stick with appleTV or the Roku, the chrome-cast is lacking in the UI dept.

• Like 2
Guest Keal G Seo

First question: what is a Roku? Second, if you ditch cable, don't you have to keep internet and doesn't the price of internet go up? Third, is there a streaming limit?

Roku is kind of like an app device for "dumb" TVs. Used to stream stuff like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Go etc. I already only have internet through my cable provider and it is $40 a month for 20 down 5 up. Pretty average. Would it be cheaper if I ordered cable and phone too? Yes, but only relatively because while I would only pay say 20/month for internet now I would be paying 20 for phone and 100+ for TV. Currently I have that internet from Comcast, phone is VOIP through MagicJack for 2.50/month paid 30/year and cable is actually satellite that I am dropping.

Oh and no there is no streaming limit on the provider's side, just with your ISP...whatever your data cap is but you can figure about 1Gb for a full HD 1 1/2 hour long movie. A lot less for SD stuff.

Edited by Keal G Seo

Also choosing the TV with the roku is the way to go, the Roku, Atv, chrome-cast, playstation, ect. are updating and adding features/content at a pace no smart TV manufacturer seems to be able to keep up with., though I only have experience with samsung and sony smart TVs.

I am going to follow this thread, we just got our first smart tv yesterday and I am trying to figure just what I bought. It has a lot of apps and connects to the wireless network in the house but I can't figure out how to get stuff from the laptop to the tv lol. I want to loose Dish but i want to make sure everyone can watch what they want.

I've been off the cable/sat train for more than 2 years now. I bought a decent digital antenna and mounted it in my attic, then trunked it into the main co ax junction box so it feeds all tvs in the house.

Between that, Netflix, and hulu I'm good to go. Costs me a grand total of $19 a month. The trick on Netflix is to search though, cause the normal listings get old quick. There is tons of stuff. Sports ect. But searching is required

This almost exactly what I do.  I didn't know you could mount an antenna in the attic until I started researching cutting the cord.  My antenna is the typical aluminum outdoor multi-spoked kind mounted in the attic and connected to the old cable coaxial hub.

We use a Roku to stream the three shows that I actually cared about on cable:  The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, and Sons of Anarchy.  They cost about $1.79 to $1.99 per episode, so it is as close to a la carte programming as you can get currently.  We also got Amazon Prime this year, which has been worth it between the free instant videos and free shipping.  Because we have Amazon Prime, my son got hooked on Doctor Who, and we have watched all the new ones in about a 3 month period.  

I had Netflix once, I think Amazon Prime has about the same movies included as the "free" instant streaming, but it has been awhile since I last used Netflix.  

As for using someone else's (such as a relative) cable provider login to watch their streaming channels, I would keep that low key and maybe not talk about it too much.  It is probably in some fine print that the cable subscriber can't loan out the login, and if it becomes wide spread, the companies are going to try to use the force of law to punish those who get around the system.

Edited by dawgdoc

I have an odd feeling it depends on the content, MLB contractually can't let me stream "in market games" even though we don't really live in an MLB market IMHO. With a good VPN, and a credit card that bills to an apartment in Berlin I manage to get all the games the wife wants to watch and to the MLB's server logs and pocket book it looks like a Card's fan watching from Germany. It would be much easier to just steal the content but if there is any even remotely quasi-legal way for me to pay for the content I want, I try to.

For live sports I suggest this:    http://neolive.eu

I do not mess with the Desk top streaming stuff. Just click on the link to the show you want to watch.

The resolution isn't the greatest and sometimes the stream isn't great, but I use it to watch out of market NFL games (I'm a Packer fan).

Like many Interwebs things, be careful what you click on. Stick to the links for specific shows and you should be OK.

Jeff

Guest Keal G Seo

I am going to follow this thread, we just got our first smart tv yesterday and I am trying to figure just what I bought. It has a lot of apps and connects to the wireless network in the house but I can't figure out how to get stuff from the laptop to the tv lol. I want to loose Dish but i want to make sure everyone can watch what they want.

Easiest way to get stuff from the laptop to the TV is just a straight HDMI and screen share. Certain TVs can also play certain files from USB thumb drives. Depending on how advanced it is it might be able to get it from the local network but I haven't delved into that yet.

As for making sure everyone can watch what they want to, what I did was had everyone write down their #1 show they don't want to miss and made sure we could get it online somehow...legally that is, I already know it's all available otherwise.

We dumped dish about 6 months ago, we are now approaching $600 saved.  We went with the traditional antenna (space age appearance).  Excellent quality and reception, we are about 50 miles from Sharps Ridge in Knoxville.  I have the living room big screen hard wired into my desktop, and its a click or two to have what's on my twin desktop monitors transferred to the big screen.  We stream a lot of movies, shows, and whatever we can find on the net.  We do use Amazon (prime) movies quite alot and Youtube.  We still keep up with our favorite shows like Duck Dynasty, Pawn Stars, and others.  On Friday's or Saturdays, we sometimes either rent from Redbox, or Amazon again, or just buy a new DVD or Blu Ray.  The sports thingy is a challenge when its not on CBS or FOX.  I too would like a solution, a no cost solution.   You may want to make sure your high speed internet service is good enough for live streaming with excellent quality, ours is, but I know other people that have dropped dish and followed our example, have some high speed internet problems.  Movies are broken or digitized blocks.

Here are some links from TGO past on antennas and old fashioned ways:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/5498-need-high-def-antenna-info-might-dump-the-satellite/?hl=antenna#entry1017538

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/70075-who-watches-tv-the-old-fashioned-way-for-free-and-not-cable/?hl=antenna

Easiest way to get stuff from the laptop to the TV is just a straight HDMI and screen share. Certain TVs can also play certain files from USB thumb drives. Depending on how advanced it is it might be able to get it from the local network but I haven't delved into that yet.

As for making sure everyone can watch what they want to, what I did was had everyone write down their #1 show they don't want to miss and made sure we could get it online somehow...legally that is, I already know it's all available otherwise.

Yeah I learned this today, oh well. I am going to activate the free trials of hulu and netflix this weekend. I jsut can't believe I can "beam" something from my phone to my tv but not my laptop.