Knife Rights said we would be back to fix TN and we are!

Guest gunlobbyist

Formerly proposed as SB1438, this one is now SB1771(Bell, Summerville)/HB1883 (Dennis):  "As introduced, makes lawful the sale, transfer, ownership, possession and transportation of switchblade knives and knives with a blade length in excess of 4"; increases from $3,000 to $6,000 the maximum fine for possessing a switchblade knife with the intent to employ it during commission of a dangerous felony; creates Class D felony of employing a switchblade knife during commission of dangerous felony."

Actual text of the bill here:   http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB1771.pdf

• Like 1

Bell has it in the Senate (co-sponsored by Summerville) and Dennis has it in the House.  It is not yet calendered before any committee - hope one of the sponsors puts it on notice soon.  The committees are making noises like they want to get things done very quickly this year so folks can hit the campaign trail.

I'll post up a rundown like I did last year.

SENATE BILL 1771 By Bell

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, relative to the transfer, ownership, possession and transportation of certain knives and the punishment for employing certain knives in the commission of a felony.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1302(a), is amended by deleting subdivision (7) and substituting instead the following: (7) Knuckles; or

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1302(b), is amended by deleting subdivision (8) in its entirety.

SECTION 3. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1303(a), is amended by deleting subdivision (1) and substituting instead the following:

(1) Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly sells, loans or makes a gift of a firearm to a minor;

SECTION 4. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by deleting subdivision (a)(1) and substituting instead the following:

A person commits an offense who carries, with the intent to go armed, a firearm or a club.

SECTION 5. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by deleting subsection (d)(3) and substituting instead the following:

(3)(A) Except as provided in subdivision (d)(3)(B), a violation of this

subsection (d) is a Class E felony.
(B) A violation of this subsection (d) is a Class E felony with a

maximum fine of six thousand dollars ($6,000), if the deadly weapon is a

switchblade knife.

SECTION 6. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by

adding the following new subsection (e) and by redesignating accordingly: (e)

(1) A person commits an offense who employs a switchblade knife during the commission of, attempt to commit, or escape from a dangerous offense as defined in § 39-17-1324.

(2) A violation of this subsection (e) is a Class D felony.

SECTION 7. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1364, is amended by deleting from subdivision (2) the language “; provided that it is not a switchblade knife”. 

SECTION 8. This act shall take effect July 1, 2014, the public welfare requiring it. 

Section 1:  removes "switchblade knife" from the list of prohibited "weapons" (I hate that word.  No item is actually a weapon until possessed by a person intending harm)

Section 2:  Removes this line from Prohibited Weapons list.  "(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose."

Section 3: Here is the current text.  It basically just removes "switchblade knife."    "(1) Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly sells, loans or makes a gift of a firearm or switchblade knife to a minor;"

Section 4:  Current text.  Again, just removes the blade length restriction.  "(a)  (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4''), or a club."

Section 5:  Current text.  This section actually adds verbiage to the current law.  "(3) A violation of this subsection (d) is a Class E felony."

Section 6:  Again, this one adds verbiage to the current law to make switchblade use during crime a more serious offense.  It will push current subdivisions e and f to f and g respectively.  

Section 7:  Current text is as follows.  "(2) A knife, even if the blade is in excess of four inches (4''); provided, that it is not a switchblade knife; or"   Again, here we are just removing switchblade from the text.  

Section 8:  Self explanatory.  Gives an effective date for if it all passes.  

I hope that gives y'all a good understanding of what they are doing here.  I can post up the entire TCA if necessary or you can just use this link to see the code for yourself.  

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

• Like 3
Guest gunlobbyist

Guys,

Sheriff Terry Ashe the Executive Director of the TN Sheriff's Association is the guy I worked with to gain the TSA's neutrality on this bill this session. Last year they opposed the bill. After spending a lot of time and effort we were able to gain the TSA's neutrality by adding the section pertaining to an increased penalty for a crime committed with a switchblade. This was a reasonable solution to gain their neutrality.

Sheriff Ashe says he is still receiving hate mail from knife owners over the position he took last year. We need to send Terry some "love".

Please email Sheriff Ashe and THANK HIM for working with Knife Rights to reach a reasonable solution. His email address is: terryashe@tnsheriffs.com

Thanks!

Todd Rathner

Knife Rights, Director of Legislative Affairs

Guys,

Sheriff Terry Ashe the Executive Director of the TN Sheriff's Association is the guy I worked with to gain the TSA's neutrality on this bill this session. Last year they opposed the bill. After spending a lot of time and effort we were able to gain the TSA's neutrality by adding the section pertaining to an increased penalty for a crime committed with a switchblade. This was a reasonable solution to gain their neutrality.

Sheriff Ashe says he is still receiving hate mail from knife owners over the position he took last year. We need to send Terry some "love".

Please email Sheriff Ashe and THANK HIM for working with Knife Rights to reach a reasonable solution. His email address is: terryashe@tnsheriffs.com

Thanks!

Todd Rathner

Done! :up:

Guys,

Thanks!

Todd Rathner

This is awesome!

BTW, I think he probably needed some hate mail. Good thing that hatchet is buried now.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest Bonedaddy

Sooooo.....would I be able to use a cane sword? Would a baton be cool? I hafta use a cane at times and would really like a cane sword to be legal. The old club rules are just ridiculous IMHO. Some bozo could claim a piece of 2x4 in the back of my truck is a club and cause me all kinda grief, if he wanted to, though, I do, "sometimes", have a whittled club back there. It came with the truck when I bought it from an old Mason.

Sooooo.....would I be able to use a cane sword? Would a baton be cool? I hafta use a cane at times and would really like a cane sword to be legal. The old club rules are just ridiculous IMHO. Some bozo could claim a piece of 2x4 in the back of my truck is a club and cause me all kinda grief, if he wanted to, though, I do, "sometimes", have a whittled club back there. It came with the truck when I bought it from an old Mason.

If blade length is removed, can't think of any other statute that would make carrying a sword cane illegal myself, especially since  "any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose" would be struck also.

The changes do not include zapping the prohibition on "clubs" however.

- OS

I have a buddy who is Mt Juliet PD. We went round and round about how it was legal for ME (non leo) to carry a switchblade. According to him it WAS legal, it felt odd debating him.

HOPEFULLY this year he will be right. I will be very happy to be in the wrong

Guys,

Thanks!

Todd Rathner

E-mail of appreciation sent.

Thank you Todd (gunlobbyist)  and Knife Rights.

Edited by prag
I just got a reply of "thank you" back from Sherriff Ashe.

My email to him was short and sweet:

Sheriff Ashe,

I want to personally thank you for supporting SB1771. I also want to thank you for working with Todd Rathner of Knife Rights.

It’s good to see you are supporting the rights of the law abiding citizens in the State of Tennessee.

Thank you again!
John

Guys,

Thanks!

Todd Rathner

I've put off replying to this because I didn't want to make an ass of myself.  But I can't help it.  

I will not thank Terry Ashe for anything.  I will not write him any kind of positive letter.  Regardless of how you worked with him and changed his mind or whatever, this is the same guy that sat there last year and said that a switchblade sounds like a shotgun.  I will support this bill because I want it to pass but I will not support Ashe in any way.