Where to go?

Titansfan

Been a fan of "Walking Dead" last couple of seasons, there was discussion from time to time of where to go or what to do, was obvious that us who think of survival will not relate good to a TV show.

Anyways, I was on a geocaching adventure that took me to Virgin Falls, Rock Island State Park and near Fall Creek Falls.  At a virtual cache called (Smoke Signals), location: N 35° 40.172 W 085° 18.373

Location is an closed fire tower which is located on top of a large hill, terrain is steep on all sides expect the road leading up to the fire tower, that being the weak point.

I didn't go up the tower this time since I was on of the few in the group that had already completed this virtual.  I visited the location in 2006. 

House is there, along with out buildings and a propane tank.

Pictured our our hike to the tower.  Large and very tall tower.

Advantages:

Rural area, should be less indigent walkers

Wooded and complex terrain, walkers don't trasverse very well

Flat area on the hill top, be able to grow some crops, possible small number of livestock

Tall tower for overwatch of the entire hilltop and surrounding area.

Propane tank, fuel for heat and cooking.

Concerns:

Rural area, be longer distances to obtain supplies

House one story and is wood, need to be more secure.

Fire tower is very tall, use of arrows, crossbows would be ineffective at that distance.

Water source not on the hilltop.

If overrun, by walkers or rogue survivors, retreat would be difficult.

Would be difficult to, but not impossible to defend against rogue survivors.

To fortify, use barbed wire at base of hill and areas up the hill to trap or delay walkers.

Stronger fence at hilltop ridge, with one exit/entrance

Reinforce the house.

6ed87e31-8a0c-4ae5-9727-1f43cc959fcb.jpg

That residence was occupied by FCF park rangers at least during the spring/summer/fall months when FCF is busy last I was up that way. A friend was dating an interpretive ranger that was living there. Not saying bugging out there is a terrible idea, but I do know one time we showed up in a different car well after dark and were greeted by a gun barrel until her roommate(also a park ranger) recognized who it was.

The fire tower does have a great view though.   :up:

Guest theconstitutionrocks

I think the key question is "where to go....from what"? Who are you hiding from? Is this a hunker down and hde or are you going to be actively conducting some kind of operation? If the goal is just plain hiding, then the likely best choice is to be in a remote area, WELL off the beaten path, dug in with overhead cover-concealment, and a significant break in your scent/thermal trail as well as how you got there (leaving your truck parked a mile away is pointless, you either need to walk or at best case use a bicycle).

If you are talking about conducting some sort of "operation" then the whole host of questions about, "why, against whom, where, payoff, motive, method, desired outcome, target proximity, post operation evasion and relocation" all come into play, not to mention the issue of "one man does not an army make" You would have to have co-actors which increases your vulnerability to detection as well as logistical challenges.

Seems to me like any tall structure would be a deathtrap as a means of escape. If swarmed with say a horde, there's real no way to get away short of fighting your way out or disabling someone in the MAG to leave them for fodder, either way is a VERY bad idea. Only go higher if you have a plan for a way out, otherwise you're just signing your own death warrant. However as a form of recon it's an excellent idea and seems though the area as a whole in general is not a bad idea. You would also wanna be as far away from any population centers as possible. Though you post someone up in that tower with a suppressed marksman rifle and some form of alert system to those below(radio, bell, what have you) and you'd have a pretty good setup imho.

Edited by whitewolf001
I think about stuff like this often. Why doesn't anyone ever take to the water? And I am refering to a Walking Dead scenario with "walkers" more than anything. I don't think the dead can tread water very well. I would consider a good size boat. Wouldn't have to be just 100 feet or more from shore.
  • Like 1

I think about stuff like this often. Why doesn't anyone ever take to the water? And I am refering to a Walking Dead scenario with "walkers" more than anything. I don't think the dead can tread water very well. I would consider a good size boat. Wouldn't have to be just 100 feet or more from shore.

While a good option, it makes you a BIG target for looters unless you keep moving which then brings up the problem of refueling.

Seems to me like any tall structure would be a deathtrap as a means of escape. If swarmed with say a horde, there's real no way to get away short of fighting your way out or disabling someone in the MAG to leave them for fodder, either way is a VERY bad idea. Only go higher if you have a plan for a way out, otherwise you're just signing your own death warrant. However as a form of recon it's an excellent idea and seems though the area as a whole in general is not a bad idea. You would also wanna be as far away from any population centers as possible. Though you post someone up in that tower with a suppressed marksman rifle and some form of alert system to those below(radio, bell, what have you) and you'd have a pretty good setup imho.

install a zip line what will take you to a hidden fully loaded vehicle.

You'd prefer to be eaten by rich walkers? What a snob! ;)

- OS

I dont have to worry about the rich walkers, they wont eat me, Ive been told I have bad taste LOL

Edited by OKelly

Thought about the water, barge, houseboat, island off Paris Landing, etc.  When 99% of so of the population are "Walkers", infrastructure is no more.  Dams that regulate the rivers will not longer work.  Could only tell how flooding would become.

"I think the key question is "where to go....from what"? Who are you hiding from? Is this a hunker down and hde or are you going to be actively conducting some kind of operation? If the goal is just plain hiding, then the likely best choice is to be in a remote area, WELL off the beaten path, dug in with overhead cover-concealment, and a significant break in your scent/thermal trail as well as how you got there (leaving your truck parked a mile away is pointless, you either need to walk or at best case use a bicycle).

If you are talking about conducting some sort of "operation" then the whole host of questions about, "why, against whom, where, payoff, motive, method, desired outcome, target proximity, post operation evasion and relocation" all come into play, not to mention the issue of "one man does not an army make" You would have to have co-actors which increases your vulnerability to detection as well as logistical challenges."

From what, a walker take over...virus going global.  Remote area to be away from Walkers.  But since I reside in Dresden, that would mean for me a trip onto I-40, passing by or through high pop areas such as Nashville if stay on 40, Mufreesboro, Frankin on 840.  I saw better places during my hike the previous day at Virgin Falls, far more remote, water access.  But too remote for other resources.

We hiked to the fire tower since the access road was closed.  When I completed the virtual in 2006, I drive right to the base of the tower.  I didn't make the trip to the top of the fire tower this time, the 10 mile hike the previous day took a major toll on my knees.  In the event of a walker take over, a bar across a gravel road will NOT deter me from entry.

The hilltop is flat, crops could grow and maybe some livestock. 

But fire towers tend to imply wooded areas and wooded areas imply cover for zombies and bad-guys.

It would probably be trivial to topple one of those towers with a truck and a length of chain also.

A little off topic but I have always wondered about how we could identify ourselves to other TGO members in a SHTF situation. There's lots of us. I mean I guess you could just ask anyone you came across but a secret way to identify ourselves would help. Maybe the emblem on a bag or something...
I like the idea of a boat. But I would use it to get to an island in Percy Priest Lake. On an island, you could have great cover (build it). You will have great fields of fire (no cover on the water as people/zombies approach). Shooting at the waterline will slow approaching boats even more. Access to food (fish) and water. Lastly quick avenues of escape.

John