Man's 'target practice' prompts school shooting scare

greenego

Guest TresOsos

Deputies later found the man. It turns out that he wasn't doing anything illegal, but investigators said he did promise not to practice during school hours.

"Maybe he was within his rights, but when so many things are going on at this time and the right to bear arms is such an issue right now in our country, we need to be a little bit more responsible in how we discharge our weapons especially for the sake of the children," said Vazquez Sr.

Bed wetters......

[quote name="TresOsos" post="1099487" timestamp="1390435249"] [b]Bed wetters......[/b][/quote] I'm sorry, but the phrase "for the sake of the children" has very little meaning to me anymore. Edited by KKing
  • Like 7

"Maybe he was within his rights, but when so many things are going on at this time and the right to bear arms is such an issue right now in our country, we need to be a little bit more responsible in how we discharge our weapons especially for the sake of the children," said Vazquez Sr.

This pretty much sums up everything going on in this country right now on so many levels.

• Like 2
[quote name="TresOsos" post="1099487" timestamp="1390435249"]
"Maybe he was within his rights,

"No maybe about it there kemosabe."

but when so many things are going on at this time and the right to bear arms is such an issue right now in our country,

"Only an issue for those who want to see it fall. I'm good, no issues here. "

we need to be a little bit more responsible in how we discharge our weapons especially for the sake of the children.

"Wrong again there bucko. You can't be more responsible than being responsible allows. You can't be a little negligent, you can't be sort of responsible, you are of are not, period.

[\quote]
Guest TresOsos

This pretty much sums up everything going on in this country right now on so many levels.

Yeah, but remember for the longest time it was all about the elderly.

If you used this for anything else they would go crazy.  Say Black have a right to vote but shouldn't because Obama is President or Gays have a right to get married but shouldn't because all the wedding toppers are bride and groom and it would be an all out hanky stomping.

Sounds like some drama queen overreacted and then it spiraled into stupidity. This guy is nearly a mile away from the school and someone thought there was an active shooter? I'm only a mile from a quarry and they detonate tons of explosives, yet no one freaks out and makes national news.

i am looking at a house about a mile from a school in Knox County. Two acres so big back yard to shoot in. I was just wondering if there was any info on target practice near schools when I form this article. Anyone else live near school and shoot in their backyard?  

I'm sorry, but the phrase "for the sake of the children" has very little meaning to me anymore.

Agree, that's one of their favorite little sayings. It's used in that way to try to make their "POLITICAL"argument morally superior and to make them feel all rightous when it's really exploiting children for their political agenda. They want to make the guy who was target practicing the bad guy when in reality it's the idiots who freaked out and locked down the school, probably scaring the crap out of the children for something the cops probably knew wasn't an active shooter. Hey, let's make a big deal out of this to scare some niave soccer moms so we can pass a new law banning shooting.

Also, the word "racist" has little meaning to me anymore.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

If I wasn't doing anything illegal...  I'd tell the officers to expect a call every day as I used my personal property the way I see fit.

Deputies later found the man. It turns out that he wasn't doing anything illegal, but investigators said he did promise not to practice during school hours.

Bed wetters......

This is another case of common sense.   If you choose to blast away near a school, you can expect, at least for the first time or two, a visit from the police.   Handle it appropriately, and it is a chance to spread the word that guns and shooting are legal and safe when done properly.   Depending on the distance & noise factor, not shooting during class may be an appropriate response --- at some distance, traffic on a close road will be louder, so it just depends. 

It is not bed-wetting to take a defensive posture if you hear gunfire, esp if you are at a potential target which, unfortunately, a school is.   Those teachers are responsible for those kids, and they must investigate.  It is also not fair to expect a non gun person to be able to judge the distance and caliber of a shot in the 'distance'.  Many probably do not know that you can hear some shots from a mile off or more. 

All in all the only problem I see here are the idiots that want to "do something about it" when there is no problem.   Shooter located, situation assessed, danger zero, problem solved, move along.

• Like 1
[quote name="Jonnin" post="1099760" timestamp="1390488269"] It is not bed-wetting to take a defensive posture if you hear gunfire, esp if you are at a potential target which, unfortunately, a school is. Those teachers are responsible for those kids, and they must investigate. It is also not fair to expect a non gun person to be able to judge the distance and caliber of a shot in the 'distance'. Many probably do not know that you can hear some shots from a mile off or more. [/quote] Not fair? Please tell me how judging distance of a noise has anything to do with being a "gun person". If you can't tell the difference between a shot in your immediate proximity and one a mile away, you need to wear a helmet. My 80 year old grandmother has never fired a gun in her life, but I promise you she can tell you if something is a good distance away or if you might need to keep your eyes peeled I understand teachers and school admins have a tough job and they want to look out for their children as much as they can. With that should come not freaking out and sending the kids into a tizzy in this situation. Instilling more undue fear into youths isn't helping them any Edited by KKing
  • Like 1

The guys lives a mile away from the school in question...  it's not like his property is right next door :)

This is another case of common sense.   If you choose to blast away near a school, you can expect, at least for the first time or two, a visit from the police.   Handle it appropriately, and it is a chance to spread the word that guns and shooting are legal and safe when done properly.   Depending on the distance & noise factor, not shooting during class may be an appropriate response --- at some distance, traffic on a close road will be louder, so it just depends. 

It is not bed-wetting to take a defensive posture if you hear gunfire, esp if you are at a potential target which, unfortunately, a school is.   Those teachers are responsible for those kids, and they must investigate.  It is also not fair to expect a non gun person to be able to judge the distance and caliber of a shot in the 'distance'.  Many probably do not know that you can hear some shots from a mile off or more. 

All in all the only problem I see here are the idiots that want to "do something about it" when there is no problem.   Shooter located, situation assessed, danger zero, problem solved, move along.

• Like 1

My parents live within hearing range of the elementary school that I attended. We checked with the local police before we used the 100 yard range behind our house we set up. We usually didn't shoot during school until after I graduated high school and was home more during the day. Never had a problem with anybody caring. Of course we live out in the country. Did have a problem with my rat terrier stealing kinder-gardener lunch boxes lol 

• Like 1

Not fair? Please tell me how judging distance of a noise has anything to do with being a "gun person". If you can't tell the difference between a shot in your immediate proximity and one a mile away, you need to wear a helmet. My 80 year old grandmother has never fired a gun in her life, but I promise you she can tell you if something is a good distance away or if you might need to keep your eyes peeled I understand teachers and school admins have a tough job and they want to look out for their children as much as they can. With that should come not freaking out and sending the kids into a tizzy in this situation. Instilling more undue fear into youths isn't helping them any

I am simply saying that a typical non shooter exposed to gunfire sounds through a building wall cannot tell the difference between a 9mm pistol shot in the parking lot outside and a 308 thousands of yards away.   If outside without the walls, its a little easier, but then you have to ask about a 10-22 fired around the corner of a building vs the 308 over the hill.    Yes, a shooter can tell, within some margin of error.  Some non shooters probably can too.   But some people have no common sense nor grasp of physics, sound, real world distances, or much of anything else.   A goodly number of them went into teaching, from what I recall of elementary school!

I absolutely agree about freaking out.  Calling the police, keeping the kids in the classroom for an extended lesson, and being cautious makes sense.  Panic, in any situation, is always bad, calm is always good.   Caution is also good. 

There are always the other concern too.  So he was a mile away.  A rifle will still kill at that range if safety is not being observed or the shooter is malicious.  If you can hear it, it can probably get to you, when it comes to gunfire, and again, at a potential target site (school), a little caution is justified. 

• Like 1

There won't be any winners here.

If the school/teachers take the most cautious approach by getting the kids inside and calling the police and and it turns out to be nothing then they are all "bed wetters"...if they did nothing and those gunshots they heard turned out to be someone who was coming to shoot the school and the kids then everyone would be all over those same teachers for being such idiots for not reacting sooner.

I say, if you are going to err it's a hell of a lot better err on the side of caution; if that makes me a "bed wetter" in the eyes of some then so be it; I've been called far worse LOL

• Like 1
Guest TresOsos

This is another case of common sense.   If you choose to blast away near a school,

A mile away is not "near" a school.

Over reaction by a frick"in BED WETTER