Women Gun shop owners

Guest lsmalls

Guest lsmalls

I was wondering if there are many women gun shop owners in TN. I'm getting ready to open a gun shop and was wondering how involed women were in this field?

Thanks

not many visible ones.   That is, all the gun stores I visit could be owned in whole or part by a woman who does not set foot in the place, but that seems very unlikely.

Women are more involved in guns than they used to be --- the big stores have a few behind the counter and they know as much as the men usually (a few of the guys are hard core, most are not gun people either gender).   A few family owned businesses have women that work and some (most) know the industry.  A lot of gunshow sellers are man/wife pairs and the women at least know enough to run paperwork or help you look at something, some know a lot, some very little.  Still, at a rough guess, I would say less than 1 in 10 or so has a woman owner if you include husband/wife joint owners.  I am not aware of ANY 100% woman only owned gun stores, and only a couple of "sellers" at the shows, most of those not actually selling guns but related items.  

I will say this, and it is just my 2 cents.   A woman selling guns in a gun store is going to need to be on the top of the game.  She (if working the floor, management or silent owner does not matter) will need to know the brands, ammo, how they work, which are popular and why, which are not and why, and be able to talk guns to a man without making many mistakes.  IMHO she will be judged to a higher standard than men. 

I will say this, and it is just my 2 cents.   A woman selling guns in a gun store is going to need to be on the top of the game.  She (if working the floor, management or silent owner does not matter) will need to know the brands, ammo, how they work, which are popular and why, which are not and why, and be able to talk guns to a man without making many mistakes.  IMHO she will be judged to a higher standard than men.

Do you not hold men to the same standards? I've been into many gun shops owned/run by men who couldn't tell the difference between a Glock and a 1911, much less the differences between ammo.
  • Like 4

Do you not hold men to the same standards? I've been into many gun shops owned/run by men who couldn't tell the difference between a Glock and a 1911, much less the differences between ammo.

Me?  I actually have very low standards either way, I expect the seller to either lie on purpose or to just not know anything, so I try to research ahead of time.  But your point is exactly what I said --- lots of the male sellers are either shifty on purpose or just ignorant, and get away with it, I think (again, my personal opinion) a female would not get away with it as easily.  Its hard to say if I am right or not, we don't have any test subjects!

I've never known one, but I think it doesn't matter and the idea is great. I have seen women at On Target gravitate to the woman who used to work there, (I haven't seen her there the past couple of times that I was there), and it is clear that they are more comfortable with discussing their protection needs with a woman rather than a man. Go for it!!!

Guest lsmalls

Thanks for the input. I'll be studing up on the Arms and Ammo I'm not familiar with. I've been shooting since I was a kid, but I will have plenty of Men at the store who know more then I do. I'll let y'all know when the store is ready to open. I'll be back with more questions I'm sure. I appreciate the kindness on this board and all the help.

They're not in Tennessee, but I believe that JSE Surplus is owned by a couple ladies.  They used to set up some tables at Knoxville gun shows.

I think I generally hold men to higher standards when it comes to firearms.  They tend to think that they know what they're talking about simply because they're men.  Women are less inclined to do that, in my experience.  I know that I've been fed more BS by guys than by women.

lsmalls, where do you plan to open your business?

Will

I have a co-worker who owns a gun shop. She's a certified NRA instructor, former Marine, has an HCP, and really knows her stuff when it comes to guns.

Her dad runs runs the shop full-time, but she's not a silent partner by any stretch.
  • 3 weeks later...

Ismalls;

I think your timing is great actually.

More and more women are exercising their constitutionally protected rights than ever before. 

While there are many "universals" concerning the carrying of firearms, there are many things gender specific...

I wish you the best, and hope you'll let us know when you're open for business.

FWIW there are some great husband and wife teams out there "spreading the word". :pleased:

Jerry and Kay Miculek

http://miculek.com/about-us/

John and Vicki Farnam

http://defense-training.com/dti/about/

There's several women that work over at my favorite gunshop - M&M Firearms in Whitesburg (east of Morristown).

They all know their stuff very well, and better than a lot of the male gun salesmen I've run across.

I'm in M&M often and the ladies there definitely know what they're talking about.

Thanks for the input. I'll be studing up on the Arms and Ammo I'm not familiar with. I've been shooting since I was a kid, but I will have plenty of Men at the store who know more then I do. I'll let y'all know when the store is ready to open. I'll be back with more questions I'm sure. I appreciate the kindness on this board and all the help.

Best of luck with your endeavor, and don't let the "Fudds" get you down. As long as you know your stuff, you'll do fine. :usa:

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen women at Frontier (Kingston), Stars & Stripes (Maryville), Coal Creek (Knoxville) and Nashville Armory (Nashville obviously).  Couldn't say if they were owners, spouses or just employees but I find they are usually more honest. 

In a gun shop, I've noticed you either have guys who know a lot or guys who don't but assume you know even less.  They don't like to admit they don't know something and will make up an answer where a woman is more likely to say "I don't know" and offer to help you research the answer.  I prefer to deal with honesty any day.

Good luck! Where is your shop gonna be?? 

• Moderators
Woman at Fugates in Calhoun taught our HCP class. She did a great job. Even kept us long time shooters engaged for the 8 hour class on a Friday night from 4pm to midnight. My wife left feeling much more comfortable about semi autos and now carries a Walther P22.
  • 1 year later...

Not sure if this thread is still hot or not.

My name's Rachel. My husband John and I own Fighting Sheep Dog in Claxton/Powell. We're a full service gunsmith, but our showroom specializes in ARs, AR parts, and AR accessories. I don't say this to advertise. This information is pertinent to this conversation.

My husband does all of the gunsmithing. I handle customer service, transfers, inventory, social media, marketing, and everything else.

So, when you walk in the door, want to build an AR, or have questions about special ordering a firearm, I'm your Huckleberry.

While I don't think it's right, I would agree that women are held to a higher standard when it comes to firearms. I have some older gentlemen who only want to speak to my husband. And if they are older guns - that's a good thing because I just don't know that much about them!

However, if you walk in and want to build an AR, want to know why some upper receivers have forward assists and some don't, want to know about barrel twist rates, or anything else - I'll run circles around most men you know.

I write all of the blogs on our website, handle the newsletter, and am constantly trying to find new and innovative pieces for our shelves.

I'm GLAD to see another female FFL holder coming forward! Where's your store going to be?

• Like 3

Ismalls, there is a going concern of a gun shop in Kingsport called "The Gun Rack' that is owned and operated on an everyday basis by a woman. She also supervises the store's 5 lane indoor pistol range and has a staff of several men working for her as salesmen and range officers. She was widowed several years ago, so she took the bull by the horns and runs a very good operation.FWIW

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 1