Destructive 9mm ammunition

The 9mm xpd rounds are 25 grains heavier and designed to retain weight on impact.  The R2 ammo breaks up into 9 very small sections.  That's pretty much the same as firing 9 #BBB shot pellets at probably a speed of around the 1450 fps mark.  It looks interesting, but without seeing some serious independent testing i wouldn't trust my life to it.

That's nothing like BB's. They have points. I'm thinking .357 sig is gonna be real impressive.

The 9mm xpd rounds are 25 grains heavier and designed to retain weight on impact.  The R2 ammo breaks up into 9 very small sections.  That's pretty much the same as firing 9 #BBB shot pellets at probably a speed of around the 1450 fps mark.  It looks interesting, but without seeing some serious independent testing i wouldn't trust my life to it.

I emailed them about buying only the projectiles because as you said, you'd want to see some serious independent testing. I'm as independent as it gets and I trust myself more than anyone else on this earth. It being a new product i'm not seeing them selling just the component.

Guest semiautots

If you used this ammo to defend yourself, I would imagine a lawsuit over "killer" ammunition.  Those of you that can remember the Black Talon will attest.

Surface area, Mass, Velocity.
It lacks two of the three. I doubt it will be popular with LE as a duty round. Looking tough and being new won’t cut it if the physics and ballistics aren’t there. I think it will probably go the way of the Glaser and other frangible ammo...quietly into the night.

It’s a shame though; all that machining of ammo and money involved would help our manufacturing base; if they are machined here.biggrin.gif

Guys, you better hurry up and get you as much as you can because this round will be made illegal very quickly

With that said, this round pretty much imo neutralizes the debate of 9mm vs .40/.45. Yeah it still will not pack the punch as the bigger round but being able to pack a few more rounds in and take someone down with 1 shot makes 9m loads very nice looking. Same with thr .380 load. My 6 round pea shooter got a little more nasty
Guest Bonedaddy

I'd like to test some myself to see if they'd replace my DRT for defensive ammo. If they'll get through Winter clothing and still penetrate 5-6" in all directions, that's gonna be a purdy damn bad wound area. Imagine what a 12 gauge slug of this would do. Sho' would like to try it on a big ol'buck. Would like to see how it does against windshields and car doors. The DRTs will go through 6" of solid wood, no problem but I've never tested it against a car situation, so I back up each of those rounds with a good heavy hollow point. If that's stuff is worth it, I'm gonna get after'm to make it in .357 mag., too.

i was signed up for email notification on this ammo for when it comes in stock at a favorite retailer. They sent out the notification email last night at 11:27pm, eastern.

Naturally I was asleep, get up at 6:30 this morning, see the email when I check my phone. The FIRST thing i do is come into my home office and fire up the pc with a big grin on my face. "Alright, finally going to get my hands on some of this stuff.....". Boy was I wrong. All I got when I got to the product page was a big SOLD OUT. Apparently they got in 250 boxes and sold out within minutes. Thats what I get for trying to get some sleep! 

Depending on the penetration depth of the fragments this IMO has the potential to be more effective than conventional FMJ and JHP rounds on clean front to back shots, and still capable but less effective on shots through intermediate barriers (shoulders, hands and arms held up defensively etc). Will of course make a nasty shallow wound regardless