Destructive 9mm ammunition

If you look at the ballistic gelatin test you can see the round has two problems, under penetration and over penetration. It is not going to work well in the real world. There is no way a 95 grain bullet split into 9 pieces is going to have a lot of penetration. Especially if it encounters such things as clothing.

LOL, their video claims the spinning bullet acts like a holesaw cutting through anything in its path. Also the specially designed trocar petals are responsible for the bullet's stability, I guess we can all go to smooth bores now. When they start talking about an acoustic wave I realize they are blowhards. They say the acoustic energy creates an ease of entry at the bullets point of impact. So the noise of the bullet makes it easier for the bullet to enter the body, another huge LOL.

In the video there is a lot of fancy talk.

The video says it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGH7cDFw7c

IMHO, this ammo is more dangerous to use than anything out there right now.  Not only do you have to worry about 1 single piece of shrapnel hitting an innocent, but now you've got 8 for every trigger pull.

Even the video of the ballistics gel (granted we don't know the consistency of it) shows some of those flechettes flying right out of the intended target area.

No thanks, if I want sh!t flying everywhere I'll use a shotgun.

In the video there is a lot of fancy talk.

But it works to sell stuff. How many times have you seen people post that they carry Glaser’s because they are so devastating? They were designed for a specific application and general carry wasn’t it. Then the rave was frangible ammo of all types. Some people just want something new. How many times have you seen some of the best rounds called “old technology?”

To me the intended purpose of an SD round is to cause an armed opponent to be unable or unwilling to fire his weapon at you. Sure, any round including a .22 may cause the average person to stop. But when you have someone cranked up on drugs, adrenalin, and emotion they may not feel pain and continue until they are physically unable to continue.

There are many SD/Duty rounds out there that are proven performers; some have been around for nearly 30 years.

I’m no ballistic expert, but I know metallurgy and a little physics. The applied physics of this round doesn’t work for me. But hey, someone on here get some of this and try it out. Maybe it will turn out to be the last round we ever need. biggrin.gif
Mass is a large factor in penetration. #1 buck at ~40gr is the smallest sized shotgun pellet that consistently penetrates 12+ inches and so if you want that sort of performance you will have to make each fragment dense and heavy enough that it can do the job. Even at 40gr the large surface area of the petals would reduce penetration versus a spherical pellet.

lets say we have a 5 petal design. If each petal weighed 40 gr for penetration and the core weighed 40 gr as well, you would have 240gr, which is close to a 230gr load in .45

In .40 you would be down to 3 petals + base for 160gr or 4 petals + base for 200g

In 9mm... well it's prob not worth bothering with unless you go ahead and split the whole thing up into 3 sections like the old quik shok

I wonder what effects it might have on a handguns rifling after a few thousand rnds. but you probably couldn't afford to shoot that many. I would like to get some .45  and give it a try.

Yep, I would guess if you had the funds to go through enough to impact the barrel; the cost of a new barrel would be pretty insignificant. biggrin.gif
  • Like 1

IMHO, this ammo is more dangerous to use than anything out there right now.  Not only do you have to worry about 1 single piece of shrapnel hitting an innocent, but now you've got 8 for every trigger pull.

Even the video of the ballistics gel (granted we don't know the consistency of it) shows some of those flechettes flying right out of the intended target area.

No thanks, if I want sh!t flying everywhere I'll use a shotgun.

To be fair on the flying out part, the gel block isn't the height or width of a torso.   You could make the argument though that if you got hit in an extremity though that those things could go flying everywhere.  So I guess that's actually a fair point, never mind.

But it works to sell stuff. How many times have you seen people post that they carry Glaser’s because they are so devastating? They were designed for a specific application and general carry wasn’t it. Then the rave was frangible ammo of all types. Some people just want something new. How many times have you seen some of the best rounds called “old technology?”

To me the intended purpose of an SD round is to cause an armed opponent to be unable or unwilling to fire his weapon at you. Sure, any round including a .22 may cause the average person to stop. But when you have someone cranked up on drugs, adrenalin, and emotion they may not feel pain and continue until they are physically unable to continue.

There are many SD/Duty rounds out there that are proven performers; some have been around for nearly 30 years.

I’m no ballistic expert, but I know metallurgy and a little physics. The applied physics of this round doesn’t work for me. But hey, someone on here get some of this and try it out. Maybe it will turn out to be the last round we ever need. biggrin.gif

Yeah but when they say it acts like a holesaw to cut through barriers or that the accustic shockwave of the bullets softens the target before the bullet hits the target. It is when I hear of such nonsense that I know that they are talking out of their ass. I know people try to show their products in the best light possible but don't BS us either.

Physics alone will keep it from performing. You have a 90 somthing grain bullet. Figure 1/2 of it is the base. That leaves 8 "trocar" petals that weigh, at most, 6 grains each which is less than a 177 caliber pellet. And because of all the surface area there is no way it would penetrate more than a few inches and that is giving them a lot. Almost any material would slow it substantially as well before hitting flesh. Then you have the ~45 grain base that weighs less than a 25 ACP bullet and we all know how well the 25 ACP works as a manstopper. Even if you double the velocity it is still a 45 grain projectile.

These are the bullet equal to the Counter Sniper scopes. They advertised the scopes had "Bertrillium-Zantitium" coatings. BTW, there is no such animal but it sounds impressive. I would also like to hear more about the "rare earth gasses" their scopes are SEALED with. Not to mention the fact they use an ion charge applied to the scope to prevent dust, laughable. Then there is the reticle itself which is really flashy.

In the end I wish them well but once the real world testing starts the truth will come out. But by that time they will have sold a metric ton to people who are easily impressed and more easily parted from their hard earned cash.