So you want to see a picture of some of the Walmart problem?

I don't facebook and I've never been on armslist, so have at it.

Edit:  I went and looked at armslist to see what it was.  In the Saturdays listings somebody has a Remington bucket that was recently sold from Outpost on there for double what Outpost sold it for.

Edited by hardknox00001
  • Like 1
Posted on about 8 different gun pages on facebook. Its their right to do that, and this is a capitalistic society, but its my right to share a picture of someone in a public place. If you honestly believe you're doing nothing wrong, then you won't have a problem with me sharing a picture of you doing it. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots
  • Like 8
Guest Lester Weevils
Are the magnitude of reselling, and bigger demand, the only significant factors?

Apologies beating the dead horse, but in the 2009-2010 ammo famine, I managed to collect a stock of 10,000+ .22 just buying one more box than I planned to shoot, weekly. Sure that is hoarding (or alternately provident saving for a rainy day).

Am sure lotsa folks were doing the same. Ammo was tight but wasn't unobtanium. Wallyworld almost always had a little bit on the shelf and I'd typically only buy two 100 rd minimag boxes every time. They cost a little more but run good in most guns.

I don't even look at the ammo when walmart shopping nowadays. If there are purchase limits, unless a lot of resellers have a flock of lackeys for straw man buying, its hard to see how that alone could make such a widespread deep ammo famine, unless the demand is drastically higher or the supply is down. Edited by Lester Weevils

bet Walmart gets in a pallet and probably just trickling it out.

As I have said for months now, once people stop paying those ridiculous prices, they'll drop down.  Getting upset over some fools waiting in line for hours to make $25 just compounds the problem...

I mean really think about it, is it worth anyone's time to spend 3 hours going to walmart to buy 1000 rounds of ammo for $50, pay taxes on it and it cost them gas $ to get back and forth, my guess is they're too dumb to realize after all is said and done that it costs them more than they have invested.

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 2
We have been talking about this for over a year, it still boils down to supply and demand. If we boycott buying ammo locally and on the internet across the country, going to the LGS and going to the ranges for a month IMO this nonsense would stop. Think about it, no demand equals no profit. The industry would have an outcry of surplus and no customers buying. Things would change quickly or companies would be forced to go out of business. The a**holes waiting to gouge ammo would have to get real jobs and everything would go back to normal.

I was in the local WM with my son yesterday so I walked through the sporting good section. I was looking in the case and checking the stock and the clerk started up a conversation with me. She was very nice and we started talking about the hoarding situation. she told me there were regulars there every time she set out the new stock and that she made sure she took her time getting it out, making them wait as long as possible... I just laughed and and said, "good for you" and went on my merry way.

I know I have heard similar locally but I still find it hard to believe someone at the warehouse loaded a truck with

3 boxes of 1000 round .22 and 10 boxes of the 555 round Winchester .22.

Seriously, someone said, lets put 3 boxes of 1000 round on a truck?  I bet Walmart gets in a pallet and probably just trickling it out.

Complain to mgmt about that one.  :D

Not to defend Wal-Mart but you do realize that would require several full pallets of 550rnd boxes of federal 22lr just to send ONE box to each Wal-Mart Supercenter in the US. There are quite a few of them to say the least(3,273 according to wikipedia) and that doesn't count the non supercenters. :stunned:

• Like 2

Not to defend Wal-Mart but you do realize that would require several full pallets of 550rnd boxes of federal 22lr just to send ONE box to each Wal-Mart Supercenter in the US. There are quite a few of them to say the least(3,273 according to wikipedia) and that doesn't count the non supercenters. :stunned:

Yep. I highly doubt Wal-Mart is holding back anything. Doing so would not be beneficial to them, so I can't see them spending time and money on something like that. 

The hoarding and gouging of .22LR ammo is the worst. This is the training ammo for our children. I teach my grandchildren when they come to the country, but I have had to taper off because of the ammunition shortage. I refuse to pay the outlandish prices they are charging at gun shows.

A while back I was at work and my wife & 3 daughters stopped by to pick up a few things. We were walking thru the kids cloths when a man walked by and saw my name badge. He stopped and started yelling at me about how Walmart was hoarding ammo. This was right in front of my family. I stopped him and asked if he really believes that. He said he did. I told him that Walmart is in the business to make money. We sell everything from hairspray to ground beef. Why would we hoard something that we can sell? He nodded his head and walked off. Not only do the employees have to deal with the "ammo campers" getting angry about not getting in any .22, they have to also clean up their mess when they leave. These guys not only leave the chairs but also coffee cups and tobacco juice spit cups everywhere.
The 22 ammo thing has went on longer than I thought it would have.I hope it goes back to normal soon .The AR's and 22 rifles was hard to get for a while because everybody thought the sky was falling ,now they are a dime a dozen.I still think the Government has something to do with the 22 shortage.

Not only do the employees have to deal with the "ammo campers" getting angry about not getting in any .22, they have to also clean up their mess when they leave. These guys not only leave the chairs but also coffee cups and tobacco juice spit cups everywhere.

Is it not within Walmart's power to not allow those guys to use your merchandise to "camp out". It should be a, you use it you buy it policy.
  • Like 3

Is it not within Walmart's power to not allow those guys to use your merchandise to "camp out". It should be a, you use it you buy it policy.

The managers should have enough balls to tell them to get their lazy a$$ up if they are not buying the chairs,coolers , and 5 gal. buckets they are sitting on. If they are leaving that stuff out and leaving a mess behind when they leave that should piss off the WM employees and the manager enough to not let it keep going on!
  • Like 5

Are the magnitude of reselling, and bigger demand, the only significant factors?

Apologies beating the dead horse, but in the 2009-2010 ammo famine, I managed to collect a stock of 10,000+ .22 just buying one more box than I planned to shoot, weekly. Sure that is hoarding (or alternately provident saving for a rainy day).

Am sure lotsa folks were doing the same. Ammo was tight but wasn't unobtanium. Wallyworld almost always had a little bit on the shelf and I'd typically only buy two 100 rd minimag boxes every time. They cost a little more but run good in most guns.

I don't even look at the ammo when walmart shopping nowadays. If there are purchase limits, unless a lot of resellers have a flock of lackeys for straw man buying, its hard to see how that alone could make such a widespread deep ammo famine, unless the demand is drastically higher or the supply is down.

As I remember, 380ACP was the golden cartridge of that era. I vividly remember an a-hole selling boxes of it for $100 each at the Nashville gun show, and people lined up to buy it!

Guest Lester Weevils

As I remember, 380ACP was the golden cartridge of that era. I vividly remember an a-hole selling boxes of it for $100 each at the Nashville gun show, and people lined up to buy it!

Yep, thats what I remember too. .380 was the only true unobtanium. It was even near-impossible to buy .380 brass and bullets.