So you want to see a picture of some of the Walmart problem?

Its on the sign on the sporting goods desk. "All ammo will be put out at x:xx"

I've been reading this thread the last few days and I was bored today so I went to a couple of stores in my area just to see what was going on at the ammo counter sand there was no sign like that. But then there was not much ammo either....1 box of 45 and 1 box of 250 rnd 9mm. Plenty of shotgun ammo though.

Here in northeast Georgia, all I ever see is the "NO .22LR" sign (they recently switched from hand lettered to typed).  I used to get vague answers whenever I asked about when ammo comes in.  One guy, who no longer works there, would give hints (such as, "I might get here between 7 and 7:30 am").  Even when I have gone on my day off, I have only seen one 50 round box of Remington, and that was actually in the case.  I only use Walmart to get 9 mm or .223 now, and only when I'm there for other shopping.  I got tired of making early-morning special trips.  All the big box stores are 10-20 minutes in the wrong direction, but Walmart is on the way to work.

I understand that we live in a capitalist country, and people are free to do this, but I do wish there was a more level playing field.  I might be happy to stand in line, as long as I knew when the line forms.

The only luck that I have had in the last year is going to Academy at opening.  Usually there are 10-12 people already there when I arrive about 5 minutes before opening.  I have never gotten a big bulk pack, but I at least got a 550 round box when I needed it.  My impression was that those guys waiting at Academy were buying for personal use.  The manager at Academy was very open about their shipments--this store always gets new ammo on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, so I can plan my trips.  Walmart seems to be random, or I just don't get there early enough.

I'm not much for siccing the government on anybody, but I was just thinking how they caught Al Capone in his bootlegging operation.  If the IRS or  Tennessee tax officers were to visit these gun show sellers, take down their tax numbers and call them for an audit......well, you know the rest.

Here in northeast Georgia, all I ever see is the "NO .22LR" sign (they recently switched from hand lettered to typed).  I used to get vague answers whenever I asked about when ammo comes in.  One guy, who no longer works there, would give hints (such as, "I might get here between 7 and 7:30 am").  Even when I have gone on my day off, I have only seen one 50 round box of Remington, and that was actually in the case.  I only use Walmart to get 9 mm or .223 now, and only when I'm there for other shopping.  I got tired of making early-morning special trips.  All the big box stores are 10-20 minutes in the wrong direction, but Walmart is on the way to work.

I understand that we live in a capitalist country, and people are free to do this, but I do wish there was a more level playing field.  I might be happy to stand in line, as long as I knew when the line forms.

The only luck that I have had in the last year is going to Academy at opening.  Usually there are 10-12 people already there when I arrive about 5 minutes before opening.  I have never gotten a big bulk pack, but I at least got a 550 round box when I needed it.  My impression was that those guys waiting at Academy were buying for personal use.  The manager at Academy was very open about their shipments--this store always gets new ammo on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, so I can plan my trips.  Walmart seems to be random, or I just don't get there early enough.

Isn't Academy more restrictive with the ammo? One box limit on .22? most re-sellers aren't going to waste their time for one box. If they can snag 3 bricks (that's the limit at the store near me), that's a $60 profit. If they could only make $20 profit from a limit of 1 brick, they aren't nearly as likely to wait in line for a lengthy amount of time. I am surprised Wal-Mart hasn't gone to a 1 box limit on .22.

I'm not much for siccing the government on anybody, but I was just thinking how they caught Al Capone in his bootlegging operation.  If the IRS or  Tennessee tax officers were to visit these gun show sellers, take down their tax numbers and call them for an audit......well, you know the rest.

Without tangible evidence of sales record, cross reference of bank accounts and other income depositories against known income, etc, impossible to prove taxes are owed. Anyone running a biz totally with cash and no recorded sales data is pretty much untouchable. Same with the amateur ammo resellers.

They got Capone because of confiscated ledgers of accounts, so they could prove an unreported income flow.

Obviously, actual FFL gun sellers would be easy targets, but I've never seen one that didn't charge TN sales tax, so unless they're not sending it in, they're cool.

- OS

As crazy as this sounds, maybe what they need to do is make it a lottery system.  Essentially so everyone has a fair chance, have it at 6:30 or 7:00 at night when most people can make it and then give out numbers.  Pull random numbers until the ammo is gone.  This way people who show up 2 hours ahead of time because they have nothing better to do can't monopolize the purchases.  I hate that it has to come to that, but that is the only way I can think to make it truly fair.  

Luckily I stocked up a long time ago and just haven't been shooting as much to keep supply up, but for those with none, that would seem to be fair.  I suspect the resellers who weren't guaranteed ammo wouldn't show up as much.

It would probably be a nightmare for Wal-Mart to administer so I doubt it would ever be done, but we can wish.

What Wal Mart should do is to raise the price on it to the point where they have a constant stock of it. Right now, like it or not, it is underpriced.

• Like 1

What Wal Mart should do is to raise the price on it to the point where they have a constant stock of it. Right now, like it or not, it is underpriced.

You're right, but if they do that I guarantee the price will never go back down. I wish someone had data that showed ammo prices over the last 10 years. I do know that in 04-05 WWB 9mm was around $5.99 a box. 

If ammo continue to rise in price at the same pace I don't see how I will be able to continue shooting. It's climbing at a rate 10x inflation at least.

• Like 1

It shouldn't go back down as long as people are willing to pay it. Did you ever have an Economics class?

I'm not thrilled about it, but as ole smilin' Larry says "....and that's the way it is."

Face it....your dollar ain't worth what it once was. If that makes you fret, I don't think you'll enjoy the next several years.

It shouldn't go back down as long as people are willing to pay it. Did you ever have an Economics class?

I'm not thrilled about it, but as ole smilin' Larry says "....and that's the way it is."

Face it....your dollar ain't worth what it once was. If that makes you fret, I don't think you'll enjoy the next several years.

Yes Greg. I understand supply and demand. You do bring up something I hadn't thought of. What will be the magical number at which people stop buying ammo? That's when prices will go back down.

After my last post I did a quick google search. In 2002 you could order 1000 rounds of ammo for you AK-47 for $69 shipped. 12 years later that same case of ammo is around $250. I just wish I would have had the foresight to stock up when I first really started shooting in 2010.                                                                                                               

• Like 2

Yes Greg. I understand supply and demand. You do bring up something I hadn't thought of. What will be the magical number at which people stop buying ammo? That's when prices will go back down.

After my last post I did a quick google search. In 2002 you could order 1000 rounds of ammo for you AK-47 for $69 shipped. 12 years later that same case of ammo is around $250. I just wish I would have had the foresight to stock up when I first really started shooting in 2010.                                                                                                               

...and 12 years from now I predict you will wish you had stocked up now.

I didn't buy ammo at Walmart before the idiocy set in and I don't buy it now nor will I in the future.

If people have time to sit around and wait for it and others are stupid enough to pay far more per round than it is actually worth I say that's there problem and prerogative....seems stupid on many levels to me but whatever.

that's my thoughts.. free enterprise. if they are stupid enough to do it.. it's supposed to be a free country.. at least that's what I've heard! :-)

First let me say that I have never resold 22 ammo, and NEVER will! I have not, and will not pay 3X $$ for a 22 brick! I will park my 22 rifles and pistols before that!

That being said, I have been known to be in the ammo lines early in the morning at Wally. I may go once a month or so, and have left with no 22s several times. Both of my sons, my wife, and myself LOVE to shoot 22s! We have several 22 pistols and rifles, and I want to have something on hand to shoot in them. I work 40+ hours a week, and the only time I can go stand in line is on Saturday and Sunday. I make NO apologies for going to stand in line! If it is what I have to do to get 22s, I will! If you take my picture standing in line, it will not anger or embarrass me in any way, I am just doing what I have to do to shoot the guns I LOVE to shoot, and to make sure my family can as well!

And, I have NEVER grabbed one of Wally's chairs to sit in, I always stand!