Unloading a Muzzleloader without firing it

I bought a used Black Knight (the original one so it's the older design) and it was still loaded. It's been that way for a couple of years I was told. Would it be safe to put a primer in and shoot it since it's been that long or is there a way to pull the bullet out safely?

I have shot them after they stayed loaded well over a year, but publically, pull the breach plug and ram it out. If not, use a worm on the rammer and pull the ball. Or......tie the gun to a concrete block and fire it from a distance with cord.

I've not ever had a problem shooting MINE after extended periods of time.

Dave

• Like 1

For those who are more familiar with these, wouldn't there be severe corrosion of the barrel after being loaded for a couple years?

Not necessarily.  Corrosion usually comes from moisture in the air, and if it is loaded, then there is no way for it to get into the powder.  The projectile will keep moist air from getting to it down the bore, and the cap should seal the breech.

If it were me, I'd still pull the ball and dump the powder.  You don't know if it has a double load, smokeless powder, or other major no-no.

• Like 1

Not necessarily.  Corrosion usually comes from moisture in the air, and if it is loaded, then there is no way for it to get into the powder.  The projectile will keep moist air from getting to it down the bore, and the cap should seal the breech.

If it were me, I'd still pull the ball and dump the powder.  You don't know if it has a double load, smokeless powder, or other major no-no.

Thank you. I didn't want to just go to the woods and think "what's the worst that could happen" because that's usually when you find out how bad it could have been. Thanks everyone.
  • Like 1

For those who are more familiar with these, wouldn't there be severe corrosion of the barrel after being loaded for a couple years?

No. The powder doesn't cause corrosion. The salts left behind from most spent percussion caps and from burned black powder attract moisture, which in turn causes corrosion. You have to shoot it before it's a problem.

I don't expect everyone back in the blackpowder days unloaded their rifles and revolvers every night.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

No. The powder doesn't cause corrosion. The salts left behind from most spent percussion caps and from burned black powder attract moisture, which in turn causes corrosion. You have to shoot it before it's a problem.

I don't expect everyone back in the blackpowder days unloaded their rifles and revolvers every night.

Reportedly, Bill Hickok did.  Fired his Navy Colts, cleaned and reloaded before bed.  :D

I bought two CVA's a couple of years ago at the 127 sale. Both were loaded. Cleared the in-line ok, bore was shiny new. The Bobcat, on the other hand - 3+ inches of ramrod indicated the a double load, no breech plug, of course. I pulled the first bullet, but broke an extractor in the other. So I flushed out the charge with water, let it dry, poured in a small charge of BP through the flash hole, and shot the whole mess out.

Ended up with 2 functional smoke poles for cheap. :)

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I know it's an old thread but I got the bullet and powder out tonight. I cleaned it up good, well with Gun Scrubber, Rem Oil, and patches. I need to get a .50 cal brass brush. It actually cleaned up really good.

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2

:up:
Looks like a good one. What scope are you going to put on it? I love bow hunting, but I'm looking forward to ML season!

Thanks Batman! I don't have a scope for it so if worse came to worse I could use the irons. But Luke said he might have one I can borrow. Only issue is sighting it in before Saturday lol. Might be (cough cough) out of work one day this week :lol: Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1

I load mine the day before ML season and unload days or weeks afterwards (a year this time around) with no problems.

Dave

Dave,

There is one difference between the newly bought rifle of Rugerla and you. He didn't load his rifle but you loaded yours and you know exactly what's in it.

I picked up another rifle in Spokane in October. It was almost a match to my Pedersoli Flintlock except iso .50 cal it was .45 and caplock Pedersoli.

Before I plopped down the cash I took the ramrod out and stuck it down the barrel. Sure enough there was a load in it with about 6 inches of powder down that smoke pole. I took it over to one of my sisters kids house, pulled the breech plug and used a 135psi of air to pop the load out it it.  When we did it actually back flowed the powder out of the barrel, back thru the breech plug. I squirted a mess of WD-40 down the barrel and waited 15 min then out it popped.

I then thoroughly cleaned the rifle and found a rough spot right about where the ball and charge was sitting in the barrel. There was also a bit of rust in there which i think was because of accumulated moisture that got to the powder through the nipple. Some bore cleaner, lots of strokes up and down the barrel and some shooting and you'd never know the the barrel wasn't new. 

Nice pics of the new rifle! To me scopes are a different issue with Bp. Imho you buy a scope, any brand for your smoke pole and it's the luck of the draw when it's going to break. It might be the 5th shot or the 100th shot. Bp just seems to have a way with destroying perfectly good scopes. I tend to go with 

front globe and rear aperture which acts just like a scope without the magnification.

LP

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 2

On that rifle, you could have unscrewed the breech, and pushed out through the breech end,whatever was in there with your ramrod. Some models do not afford that luxury.

I often unload mind that way. As I shoot 777 pellets, and Powerbelt bullets, I can reload the same charge at a later date.

Edited by gregintenn