INTERNET TAX FREEDOM TAX ENDING 2014

Guest tangojuliet

Guest tangojuliet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=channel%3A52d3e2d9-0-27f7-9d92-20cf303f6714&feature=iv&src_vid=8t3EkQdzwsE&v=nLTSRR2yKsg  gentlemen we dont like taxes right well here is  more possibility on taxes CONTACT YOUR CRONGRESS MEN !!!

No one hates paying taxes any more than I do but I really don't get why this is causing people heartburn.  These taxes are already owed....they've always been owed. If you by anything from a business (over the internet or not) and sales tax wasn't collected on the sale you still owe the tax.

Requiring businesses who operate over the internet to collect sales taxes for each customer's state of residence (or shipping address) is inevitable since most people won't self-report...it's also necessary to put internet only retailers on a somewhat equal footing with business who have brick and mortar locations.

• Like 2

As much as I hate taxes and most are unconstitutional, sales tax is the one tax that is legitimate, constitutional, and legal. Why do internet retailers get to sell without collecting taxes thus lowering their prices which allow them to undercut the local mom and pop stores and that is fair? 

• Like 2
[quote name="Smith" post="1102411" timestamp="1390924223"]As much as I hate taxes and most are unconstitutional, sales tax is the one tax that is legitimate, constitutional, and legal. Why do internet retailers get to sell without collecting taxes thus lowering their prices which allow them to undercut the local mom and pop stores and that is fair? [/quote] Yep. We've just been enjoying something the law never intended us to enjoy. I'm not going to like paying sales tax online, but it is fair unless we abolish the TN sales tax altogether. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like saving money. Who doesn't? But as a former internet retailer, I do support internet taxes because it puts everyone, both brick & mortar stores, and internet retailers, on a more equal footing financially and this is fair. The internet, both with its lower operating expenses (nothing wrong with that) and allure of no taxation (there's potential wrong in that) has hurt and killed local traditional businesses. 

No one hates paying taxes any more than I do but I really don't get why this is causing people heartburn.  These taxes are already owed....they've always been owed. If you by anything from a business (over the internet or not) and sales tax wasn't collected on the sale you still owe the tax.

Requiring businesses who operate over the internet to collect sales taxes for each customer's state of residence (or shipping address) is inevitable since most people won't self-report...it's also necessary to put internet only retailers on a somewhat equal footing with business who have brick and mortar locations.

As much as I hate taxes and most are unconstitutional, sales tax is the one tax that is legitimate, constitutional, and legal. Why do internet retailers get to sell without collecting taxes thus lowering their prices which allow them to undercut the local mom and pop stores and that is fair? 

The video posted has nothing to do with Internet sales tax.

Internet Tax Freedom Act - This law bars federal, state and local governments from taxing Internet access and from imposing discriminatory Internet-only taxes such as bit taxes, bandwidth taxes, and email taxes. (it does not bar collection of sales tax on commerce)

Market Place Fairness Act -  Is proposed legislation pending in the United States Congress that would enable state governments to collect sales taxes and use taxes from remote retailers with no physical presence in their state.

• Like 1

Okay I will chime in, I too don't like any taxes however sales tax is the most fair. If you don't buy a $50,000 pickup truck you don't pay the sales tax. But the federal income tax was never ratified and is illegal. It was supposed to be a tax to business taxing only their profits. We that work for a living do not profit, we trade our time and expertise for money, but we don't make a profit on that time!!!

Okay I will chime in, I too don't like any taxes however sales tax is the most fair. If you don't buy a $50,000 pickup truck you don't pay the sales tax. But the federal income tax was never ratified and is illegal. It was supposed to be a tax to business taxing only their profits. We that work for a living do not profit, we trade our time and expertise for money, but we don't make a profit on that time!!!

:popcorn:    :surrender:

The video posted has nothing to do with Internet sales tax.

Internet Tax Freedom Act - This law bars federal, state and local governments from taxing Internet access and from imposing discriminatory Internet-only taxes such as bit taxes, bandwidth taxes, and email taxes. (it does not bar collection of sales tax on commerce)

Market Place Fairness Act -  Is proposed legislation pending in the United States Congress that would enable state governments to collect sales taxes and use taxes from remote retailers with no physical presence in their state.

:doh:   Okay...I stand embarrassed...Good catch! 

I think the same principal applies though doesn't it?

Most states (although specific state laws differ) do assess a sales/use tax on services...I'm not sure why internet service should be treated any differently than any other in a given state.

:doh:   Okay...I stand embarrassed...Good catch! 

I think the same principal applies though doesn't it?

Most states (although specific state laws differ) do assess a sales/use tax on services...I'm not sure why internet service should be treated any differently than any other in a given state.

A state or municipality may still impose a franchise tax or telecommunications tax to the internet provider(IE AT&T or comcast) the cost of which will certainly be passed on to consumers. The law only stipulates there will be no direct tax levied on internet services specifically to the consumer based on internet speed(ie- bandwidth tax), or usage by volume(ie- the bit tax or email tax) or any other tax method that would cause multiple taxation on the same service. TN already taxes internet providers by considering the providers  telecoms.

• Like 1