ar-15 hunting

yes, .22 centerfire is legal in TN to hunt big game with. will it do the same thing as an '06? maybe, maybe not. with these smaller calibers on game like deer, alot goes into the bullet weight, bullet construction and most importantly bullet placement. place a 150gr .30-06 slug on the shoulder of the whitetail deer and most likely you've got venison in the freezer. do the same thing with a 45-55gr HP (remember, its illegal to hunt anything in TN with FMJ) .223 and you most likely have lost a deer. put that same bullet from the .223 just a hair off the shoulder like you would with a bow and you've got meat in the freezer. also make a headshot with that same bullet from the .223 and you've got meat in the freezer. the key word in that last sentence is "make a headshot", not fire at the head and blow off an ear. shots like that are for those instances you know you can place the bullet where you want...not for the average "hunt once a year Billy Bob" out there... just my .02 cents...

• Like 1

Of course it will not match the 30-06 but if i'm not mistaken anything centerfire is legal to deer hunt with. If I were to hunt with a .223 I would make sure the gun is very accurate & only go for a shot in the neck bout 3" down from the head, but that's where I always aim.That's just my:2cents:. Don't take my word for it take a look at TWRA website for the info.

• Like 1

It is legal now. Even though I own one I prefer other calibers to deer hunt with. I do use an AR but its in .458 caliber and flings a 300 to 405 grain HP round. More than plenty there.

My son uses a Rossi .223 single shot with scope and got his first buck last year. Buck didn't move more than 30 feet from where he was shot before he piled up. Naysayers will discount the .223 but properly used and with the right round, it will do the job. Make sure your using HP or JSP (core lokt style spire points).

Aarons1stdeera1.jpg

Guest bang-flash

So is the general consensus to use heavier bullets and have good hits with a 223?

In the load department what would be an ideal cartridge? Brand/weight/ etc..

Thanks

• 9 years later...
On 9/19/2008 at 5:28 PM, cknight98 said:

yes, .22 centerfire is legal in TN to hunt big game with. will it do the same thing as an '06? maybe, maybe not. with these smaller calibers on game like deer, alot goes into the bullet weight, bullet construction and most importantly bullet placement. place a 150gr .30-06 slug on the shoulder of the whitetail deer and most likely you've got venison in the freezer. do the same thing with a 45-55gr HP (remember, its illegal to hunt anything in TN with FMJ) .223 and you most likely have lost a deer. put that same bullet from the .223 just a hair off the shoulder like you would with a bow and you've got meat in the freezer. also make a headshot with that same bullet from the .223 and you've got meat in the freezer. the key word in that last sentence is "make a headshot", not fire at the head and blow off an ear. shots like that are for those instances you know you can place the bullet where you want...not for the average "hunt once a year Billy Bob" out there... just my .02 cents...

Thank you for the information. I have been looking for a straight-forward answer to this question for some time. I've asked others as I wish to start coyote hunting. Their responses range from, "you can use calls and 'spotlight' at night," to "with coyotes, anything goes." That sounded very suspicious to me. So I appreciate the good info! Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, Ehunt said:

Thank you for the information. I have been looking for a straight-forward answer to this question for some time. I've asked others as I wish to start coyote hunting. Their responses range from, "you can use calls and 'spotlight' at night," to "with coyotes, anything goes." That sounded very suspicious to me. So I appreciate the good info! Thanks again!

Read up on the hunting regulations for coyote.  They have changed some over the last few years.  Ask specific questions if you can't find the answer.  I am sure someone here can point you to the correct regulation.  Just FYI, coyotes are not considered big game.  Just turkeys, deer, elk, and bear are considered big game if I remember correctly.

• Like 1