Handloads for 44 Mag Lead Cast with H110, or TiteGroup

Well with my 357 mass loading out of the way I am on to my 44 mag brass collection.  Using Berrys Bullets I landed at 22gr of H110 for the best accuracy out of my Anaconda, but it was a bit peppy and I plan on bringing the jacketed plinking load down to 21 grains, and loading at 22gr for hunting rounds (XTP).  But I havent messed around with my Lee Mold (TL430-240-SWC).  The mold is dropping a consistent size but I sized them with my Lee push thru for consistency.  I'd like to mimic my 21 to 22 grain plated load with TiteGroup or the H110 I have.  I have about 600 to load mostly cast. So here's some questions:

Tumble Lube or Powder Coat?  Why?

What diameter have you gotten good results from before with out leading?

How do the charge weights vary between plated,cast, and PC?

And finally....what are your favorite loads with H110 or Titegroup ? (I used up all my 2400 on 357's)

Thanks Guys!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you slugged your barrel? That will determine what size you need to size to.

I like to tumble lube. I use 50/50 LLA and mineral spirits. If you can see the alox on the boolit, you probably used too much.

Is the Lee mold a gas check design? If not, you will probably need to slow them down a bit.

Check out Cast Boolits website.

i will go to the man cave in the morning and look up my 44 mag cast lead loads.  i will post them here later.  they were used in silhouette matches back in the 80's in west texas.  the guns used are a ruger blackhawk with a 10 inch barrel, a s&w model 29 with a 6 inch barrel, and a t/c contender with a 10 inch barrel.  i also cast my own 44 mag bullets. it is a 240 gr cast lead gas check bullet.  with wheel weight it comes in a little bit more heavy. i use a hornady and home made free check gas checks on the bullet.  i lube them the old school way,with a rcbs luber/sizer.  never had any leading.  no matter how fast i ran them.  i also got some chronograph data around for the loads.  if i remember i use 2400, h110, and some of type of powder for the match loads.   

i will go to the man cave in the morning and look up my 44 mag cast lead loads.  i will post them here later.  they were used in silhouette matches back in the 80's in west texas.  the guns used are a ruger blackhawk with a 10 inch barrel, a s&w model 29 with a 6 inch barrel, and a t/c contender with a 10 inch barrel.  i also cast my own 44 mag bullets. it is a 240 gr cast lead gas check bullet.  with wheel weight it comes in a little bit more heavy. i use a hornady and home made free check gas checks on the bullet.  i lube them the old school way,with a rcbs luber/sizer.  never had any leading.  no matter how fast i ran them.  i also got some chronograph data around for the loads.  if i remember i use 2400, h110, and some of type of powder for the match loads.   

I shot handgun silhouette in El Paso Tx. and Las Cruces N.M. back in the early '80's. Small world.