Presidents visit

RC3

Tennessee's roads are pretty good in the scheme of things.

http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_141e2a22-ea67-11e2-9663-001a4bcf6878.html

I do wish they'd use better materials though. It seems like they don't last too long before they're being redone. And while we're wishing, let's have some proper reflective paint instead of that stuff that disappears in the rain.

I think one big reason is that the interstates and highways are paved with asphalt instead of concrete, they may require more maintenence but it's a much smoother ride. Seems like when I cross the state line to another state with concrete roads i'm driving on an old timey wash board, BaDunk   BaDunk   BaDunk   BaDunk. I'm always glad to get back on asphalt again.

I guess i'm not that bothered by Obama visiting McGavoc, all presidents do that to some degree even though it's a waste of money, it's all just politics as usual. Noticed he didn't bother comming to Tennessee when he was running for re-election, I guess he knew that would be a waste of time.

Well I do know there has been a  very big change in Mc Gavock High school in past several years. It use to always be in the news for gang violence issues and i have not heard of any of that in several years now so if they were able to turn the school around I am glad for them. It is a good thing when a child can get an education without fear of getting shot or cut up. I have always been one for education but I also do really get tired of hearing it from politicians that are talking out both sides of their mouth about it. Obama is pushing education really hard and pushing college very hard and there are about 80% of college graduates that got out of school after getting their education and running up big college loans to get these fine educations that have been and are still unemployed because the jobs are not out there. I think before you preach higher education you need to provide employment opportunities and then preach higher education. Obama is putting the cart before the horse on this issue.  Oh yea, I forgot he leads from behind all the time.....my mistake............................ :wall: :wall: :wall:

[quote name="bersaguy" post="1103699" timestamp="1391108295"]I guess he picked McGavock High School because it reminded him of schools in Chicago. 70 to 80% of students are gang members that attend school there and his audience of students were all hand picked so go figure..... talk with a bunch of thugs for an hour.............jmho[/quote] I'm pretty certain it wasn't because it reminded him of the schools in Chicago but rather because it is recognized as an "Academy of Nashville" based on its turnaround and forward thinking in education based in aviation, law, transportation, digital design, hospitality and communication. The CMA and Ryman Properties have contributed significantly to the school's program and I seriously doubt they would spend their money if 70 to 80% of the school's students were "gang members" and "thugs". Not sure where you got your percentages but it would be greatly appreciated if you cited your source because I would love to be corrected.

I think one big reason is that the interstates and highways are paved with asphalt instead of concrete, they may require more maintenence but it's a much smoother ride. Seems like when I cross the state line to another state with concrete roads i'm driving on an old timey wash board, BaDunk   BaDunk   BaDunk   BaDunk. I'm always glad to get back on asphalt again.

I guess i'm not that bothered by Obama visiting McGavoc, all presidents do that to some degree even though it's a waste of money, it's all just politics as usual. Noticed he didn't bother comming to Tennessee when he was running for re-election, I guess he knew that would be a waste of time.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the asphalt. Most of the roads in the UK are. I don't know if it's true but I've heard that they don't put enough bedding under the roads and that causes the surface to wear more quickly. I think a lot of the road building has the faint whiff of corruption around here (the contractors carve the market up between them I've heard. One-bids are a common occurrence) so that could make sense.

We need to stop the obsession with higher education. It's not for everyone, nor should it be. Apprenticeships should make a comeback.

Higher education would be easier if colleges were not charging an arm and leg. I been working for the past three years to save up so I can go back, but it almost makes me want to completely forget about it.

Here ya go. The BS Express parked at the Nashville airport. A buddy shot the pic...

BlowbamainNashville_zps33808be5.jpg

I'm surprised the Secret Service allowed someone to take that picture.

If you look at the lower right side you can see a dump truck. They wanted to block off the whole fence line but we didn't have enough equipment so it was spaced out. For whatever good that did??!!

Edited by msnow

Higher education would be easier if colleges were not charging an arm and leg. I been working for the past three years to save up so I can go back, but it almost makes me want to completely forget about it.

They need to cut some/most of the government funding. Colleges know what people can pay and just factor in any government freebies. It's like the digital tuner boxes were $40 higher when there was a government $40 voucher.
[quote name="msnow" post="1104045" timestamp="1391173342"]If you look at the lower right side you can see a dump truck. They wanted to block off the whole fence line but we didn't have enough equipment so it was spaced out. For whatever good that did??!![/quote] So you're saying michelle was there too?
  • Like 1

I'm pretty certain it wasn't because it reminded him of the schools in Chicago but rather because it is recognized as an "Academy of Nashville" based on its turnaround and forward thinking in education based in aviation, law, transportation, digital design, hospitality and communication. The CMA and Ryman Properties have contributed significantly to the school's program and I seriously doubt they would spend their money if 70 to 80% of the school's students were "gang members" and "thugs". Not sure where you got your percentages but it would be greatly appreciated if you cited your source because I would love to be corrected.

Back before they made the big changes that have very much improved this school I spoke with several teachers that quit teaching there and also several LEO's that were assigned to the school to work there every day while school was in session and they told me that you could walk into any classroom at the school and in a class of 35 students and there would be at least 15 to 18 students wearing gang colors. That was not just a few classrooms but all of them. The teachers I spoke with quit because they could not teach because of the many disruptions that would take place while they were trying to teach. A few of them were even threatened and that is where my stats came from and oh yea, My Sister-in law and her husband were two of the teachers that ended up quitting. Guns were found almost daily and taken from students by resource officers along with many knives. The problem came to Mc Gavock when the new busing programs began and they began busing children from the inner city in attempts to offer the children an opportunity of a better education which I have no problem with. The idea just didn't work.............jmho