KeyMod AR Rails - Love em or Hate em

KeyMod rails on AR's appear to the the hot new rails, with offerings from Noveske, Midwest, Vltor and others. The KeyMod rails work the same way as a lot of shelving and scaffolding. One end of the “keyhole” is bigger, while the other end is smaller. You put your accessory or rail into the larger part of the keyhole and slide it down to the smaller end. The "technology" has been around for ages. Basically, they look just like the shelves at home depot or wal-mart, but as far as use in the firearm industry, it appears that the design was part of a joint project between Vltor and Noveske. 

I am not a fan of quad rails. I just don't need that much rail space. I do however really like the look of the newer style light weight rails in general, such as the Samson Evolution, Midwest Gen II SS and Troy Alpha and VTAC rails, but I really dislike the look of the keymod rails. I can't get over the fact that the rails look just like she shelves I have in my garage. 

What do you guys (and gals) think? Are the KeyMod rails going to be the standard going forward or just a fad that will pass? 

KeyMod Rail

526481_477970595597753_1530079427_n.jpg

Shelving at your local Wal-Mart

industrial-shelving.jpg

tightened with a screw and loctited if you're smart.  It looks to be the modular way of the future but I don't think rails are going anywhere for a while.  I don't think it's a fad anymore than I think smaller, lighter, modular rails are a fad.

Looks to be another good option to have.

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the keymod rails. I've got three setups now with the keymods, with the direction things are headed now it will make the future of 1913 picatinny rails up front completely different.  BCM and several others are now coming out with keymod gunfighter vertical grips and other front end attachments that go on direct as a keymod.  No more 1913 rail to add weight where it's non essential.

I'm still weighing them out in my mind. On one hand they do reduce rail weight by eliminating them altogether, on the other hand there's not that much savings to be had in that regard for what I want on my rifles which is as little as possible.

For me I think they're a take it or leave it kind of thing. I might have one on a rifle, but it would be based more on cost, weight, how it fits my hand or even how I think it might, and honestly looks than any real opinion on whether or not they're a "good idea". For what I do with guns, I can't see it being a big difference either way. :shrug:

I bought one of the uppers from PSA with the Midwest industries keymod rail without knowing much about the platform. I was very impressed with the feel of it. It is lightweight, but still feels solid. Of course I think it looks good and that is what matters the most, right?😏 4u7eru6y.jpg

I really like the idea. I have a Midwest Industries Gen 1 and it has holes for extra rail sections, but with the short barrel and kx3 plugging the end I can't get inside the rail to hold the inner screws. So I have to partially disassemble the rail to add sections. The key mod soles that. I like them.
Someone just called it a fad, not really. There's not a lot of key mod accessories, yet, but it's looking good for what is too come. I have jumped on it because I'm trying to build up my collection first, but I will be changing over to rails after all my ARs are built.