Which indoor TV antenna should I get?

• Moderators

According to LifeHacker:

1. Mohu Leaf
  2. Clearstream 2
  3. RCA ANT1050
  4. Terk HDTVa
  5. Winegard Flatwave

I myself have considered picking up that Mohu, it seems pretty neat and may do so sometime. If I do, I will definitely post my experience here. However, I also read the following rumor and have yet to try it even though I am extremely interested.

Theoretically you can pick up some channels by hooking your TV up to your cable line even if you don't have cable. I pay for Charter thus have an active cable connection. Supposedly if I hook the TV up to the cable line I may be able to pickup some local channels for free. Anyone tried this before?

According to LifeHacker:

1. Mohu Leaf
  2. Clearstream 2
  3. RCA ANT1050
  4. Terk HDTVa
  5. Winegard Flatwave

I myself have considered picking up that Mohu, it seems pretty neat and may do so sometime. If I do, I will definitely post my experience here. However, I also read the following rumor and have yet to try it even though I am extremely interested.

Theoretically you can pick up some channels by hooking your TV up to your cable line even if you don't have cable. I pay for Charter thus have an active cable connection. Supposedly if I hook the TV up to the cable line I may be able to pickup some local channels for free. Anyone tried this before?

Yeah that's what Keal G Seo recommended to me. I can confirm it does work on my end. I get all of the main local channels with a few extras.

Uverse sales don't tell you the whole truth ... they did not outright lie, however their package did not deliver what they promised. Especially when it came time to renew.

You may want to reconsider another provider.

Tried them for a year and I'm back at charter. For one thing, customer service is much better. My internet service sucked with Uverse.

I am waiting for a company that will come out with a cafeteria plan so I pay exactly what I want to watch.

In the meantime, I haven't watched TV in two years, I surf and go where I want.

I hate talking heads and I like movies.

I get my news from the internet. Edited by Currently
Once things go a la carte, you'll just see genres spread over more channels to make you buy more of them. Heck syfy or whatever it is is a mess already.

The world is heading to a pay-per-view model and that's a good thing. Edited by tnguy

WOW! I have had it up to my neck with ATT. They are now saying again that I can't get Uverse TV there! I spoke to  Comcast just a minute ago and they can set me up with a no contract plan for a nice price that I am probably going with. Most of these folks I have talked to at ATT are so incompetent that I am not sure how they still have a job.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks back I purchased a Mohu Leaf antenna as well as what amounts to Amazon’s knock off of same.  Sorry to necro the thread but I just got around to trying out the antennas on all the applicable televisions. 

For reference, from the research I’ve done, I’m about 20-30 miles from most of the major towers. 

Television one (1) (wall mounted HD):  Virtually no difference between the two antennas.  Both picked up ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, WB, several smaller stations and multiple sub-channels with minimal fiddling.  Both seem to do best with window placement if possible. Neither picked up PBS which from my research is the most difficult to pick up in my area.  

Television two (2) (old as dirt CRT that won’t die):  I had to run this through a digital converter box if that makes a difference.  Due to the layout, window placement wasn’t really possible on this one.  Essentially the same report except that the Amazon model actually seemed to produce a little better picture quality.

Television three (3) (wall mounted HD):  This room has a different orientation and is the only television upon which I was able to pick up PBS but only with the Mohu.  Otherwise, same results with both models.

There tis for what it’s worth.

Edited by Mike A