New sights for my Gold Cup 1911, different rear sight views?

timthetoolman

The Eliason cut rear sight on my Gold Cup is crooked and I am looking for replacement options.  Has anyone had this issue before?  Im also wondering what type of sights, and sight picture would be ideal.  ie 3 dots, white outline, etc.  Any input?

It would be great to find a pic on the net that showed the different types of rear sight setups from the shooter POV but I couldnt google one up.

Yep that's it. Midway doesn't have them but amazon does. If I am going thru the trouble and expense I wonder if I should go to something other than a target style rear blade? Not even sure what's out there. Seems like all my pistols have a different sight picture. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.wichitaarms.com/Products/sights.asp

Some milling required but a "Tank" of a sight, positive click adjustables, and I will admit droppable though I wouldn't make a regular practice of it

Here ya go, looks like a BOMAR and is long enough to cover the old colt groove in my series '70  gunsmith melted it in and IIRC came forward just a smidge to do it has been fine since 1988 or so.  the .38Super (blue mag base pad) was crooked, Dad was OK with it but it bothered me so I C-More'd it  the 10mm (center) was a std. dovetail so a BoMar sits there.

What purpose will the Gold Cup serve ? Bullseye shooters prefer black on black I have found it to be the most versatile for me as my attention isn't drawn away by a bright line or dot or triangle etc.

One shooter I knew went through a period of changing sights used nail polish/model paint to try out the different options and colors before dropping coin on the real deal 

I prefer my iron sights all black except for my carry which is a std. Glock 23 but looking at TruGlo TFOs in the near future   3-dot is usually a carry option

1911s-1.jpg

Edited by LngRngShtr

I've considered having a smith mill in the slide for a dovetail like the Bomar, but I keep thinking it will ultimately hurt the value of my Colt.  Not like I plan to sell it but if I had to I'm not sure it wold help the value any.  I'll slide it apart in a bit and see if I can figure out what's causing it.  When I bought it Colt said it would be a 6 month turn around and I like shooting it too much to part with it for that long.  So I took it to a local smith and he fiddled around with the roll pin but couldnt straighten the sight.  His eyes arent the best anymore so who knows...could be a crappy sight, could be a bent pin, could be a poorly drilled slide....wish me luck.

Heres a pic

E5759BA4-1023-4900-A78B-4C16916BC2DB_zps

the gap below the sight, maybe carefully bent the tang of the Eliason to bring the blade level ?

mine was a "parts gun" before I got it the GC top end was on the SS frame in the pic the frame pin holes are ovaled from the large round count so maybe it will become a .22 trainer or a carbine conversion some day.

Gold Cups aren't what they once were the Series 70 collet bushing doesn't lend itself to the premo accuracy of a fitted bushing and the series 80 lock doesn't do the trigger pull any favors either  they still shoot better than a "regular" 1911 but nothing like the older pre-70s GCs they were hand fitted

Mine cracked the bushing and jammed in the middle of a PPC match shooting light loads so a KART bushing was fitted and it still out shoots me even with 180 PF USPSA loads

Still wondering what your intended use is for the GC  the milling for a sight or a fitted bushing done well may not affect the value as much since this isn't an unfired specimen 

Maybe timcalhoun can help  he is on here somewhere

John