Your workbench??

TripleGGG

• Moderators

[quote name="Lowpower" post="1104663" timestamp="1391270086"]Kinda like this? The bench on the right, by the window, i use to work on guns. The small bench beside it I use for .45-50 reloading. I keep an old separate Lee single stage press for bullet pulling and recapping. I have 7 removable heads with dies mounted for most of my reloading chores. 9mm, .45acp, .45 scholfield, .45LC, .308, .30-06, and 6.5-06. If you look at that old desk, it's made of laminated MDF, built 20 years ago and weighs 150 lbs. I have it one wheels. In fact, everything I have expect the .45-70 table is one wheels. I will be putting that on wheels, also. I have a couple of long workbenches, one steel, one wood, in the garage along with a couple of wheel mounted tool boxes, one for a milling machine. The second for a drill press. I also have an electric powered hack saw on wheels. I cal roll all of my shop equipment out to use and back to store. My 6" Atlas metal lathe is fixed to a 3rd bench. [url="http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/23_zps74ff05d0.jpeg.html"]23_zps74ff05d0.jpeg[/url] [url="http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/22_zps151daec0.jpeg.html"]22_zps151daec0.jpeg[/url] [url="http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/21_zpsb11a948b.jpeg.html"]21_zpsb11a948b.jpeg[/url][/quote] lowpower, great looking setup. I really like the wheels idea. Especially with a move on the horizon when we find a house we like. Thanks for sharing.

Guest Lester Weevils

When I started learning how to remodel the house about 2004, only had about 1/3 the basement to use for "temporary" woodshop. I needed some benches but didn't want to build them too massive, or put too much money/time into them, because I planned to sometime move them to the outside shop after the remodel was done. Something maybe will actually do one of these days. The basement is kinda crowded and I wanted em fairly easy to break down and move when necessary.

So I ended up over a couple of years building four benches refining the same basic idea. The first couple were cruder than the last two, made of a mix of remodel scrap and new materials. The harbor freight and sears cheap bolt together steel tool stands, I consider rather wobbly and weak in their factory-designed configuration, but discovered that adding strategic wood reinforcement and bottom shelves, attached with screws and liquid nails, makes them very rigid and strong. No wobble or shake. The first one was for the miter saw--

MiterSawBench_Web.jpg

3/4" ply top and bottom for the top "box", with 2X6 boards in the middle, 3/4 ply on the sides, and 1/4" ply "lips" to keep tools from falling out of the storage niches on front and back. And the middle and bottom reinforcement gave good storage for various tools and clamps. That was a harbor freight tool stand.

Made another, out of mostly scrap wood, similar concept, for the mini-lathe. One of these days I might add real drawers in the drawer openings, but cheap walmart plastic drawer units work OK to keep machining accs.

LatheBench_Web.jpg

The later two benches used sears bolt-together tool stands which are a bit better quality than the Harbor Freight. I made the tops out of bought-for-purpose, not scraps. The interior bracing on the top boxes, between the top and bottom 3/4" plywood plates, is about 12" wide 3/4" plywood in an "H" shape, which gives real good resistance against top surface flex. The top and bottom plates, with such wide vertical stiffeners, gives a fairly light top surface that just doesn't want to flex very much. If/when I ever move them out to the shop, I can just unload the contents, remove the top boxes from the stands, and move the pieces out to the shop pretty easy.

BandsawBench1_Web.jpg

BandsawBench2_Web.jpg

The main workbench is the same concept, just bigger, sitting on two sears tool stands.  Added some drawers to this one. The bandsaw bench and the main workbench roll around on cheap harbor freight pallet dollies, which work good if you examine before buying, and grease well before putting in service. Those dollies are cheaper than buying just the wheels at ace hardware or home depot.

There is space underneath the workbench for the little router table. When I want to keep the benches from rolling I put chock blocks under them. I've had bad luck with locking casters. In my experience the locks don't work worth a flip. Also have the table saw riding on a couple of harbor freight pallet dollies.

WoodWorkBench1_Web.jpg

WoodworkBench2_Web.jpg

WoodworkBench3_Web.jpg

Edited by Lester Weevils

Ended up dragging out my other "workbench" this afternoon to put up some shelving, Since I'm a car guy my garage has NO space for wood/remodeling tools so all of them pretty much live in constant flux being shuffled around from room to room where ever the work is going on currently. I have a few of these Heavy Duty Work stands from dewalt that I pretty much use for everything woodwork/construction wise. One day they might be holding my miter saw, the next I might have tabletops on both for furniture assembly, I've even been known to clamp a 2x14 to them and use them like scaffolding when painting crown molding.

12261832493_4aa9c16637.jpg

Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Like 1

I'm getting ready to build some benches.  Been in my place for 10 months and I'm just getting around to it.  I acquired a reloading set up Christmas of 2012 that has yet to get out of the box, partially because I don't have a place to set it up.  I'm thinking a 2 bench set up like many I see here.  I want one bench solely for reloading and other gun use and I want another for putting junk on, I mean everything else.  Doesn't look like the reloading bench needs to be exceptionally sturdy but I would like the other bench to be substantial to where I can beat the tar out of things on it with a 2 1/2 pound sledge and put objects in the vise and crank on them with a 6 foot cheater bar without yanking the workbench all over the garage.  I remember my grandfather building workbenches out of lanes from an old bowling alley, they were nice and heavy and solid.  I may know where I can pick some up too!

• Like 1

Workbenches need to be sturdy and heavy for reloading.

If you're going to be installing and timing rifle barrels in your vise, you need to anchor it to a concrete pad.  You can lift a big Wilton vise and a heavy bench with a long cheater bar  -   voice of experience.

• Like 1

If you're going to be installing and timing rifle barrels in your vise, you need to anchor it to a concrete pad.  You can lift a big Wilton vise and a heavy bench with a long cheater bar  -   voice of experience.

I removed the bottom drawers of my toolbox and filled the hollow space under the drawers with lead ingots and loose lead shot. Added around 1000 lbs to the bottom of the box(aside from the weight of the tools which bring the total to just over 2500 lbs) I've strapped a porsche engine to it to break a stubborn crank bolt loose with a  8' cheater bar and not had ANY issues. 

You can do the same with a stout built wood workbench if you build a strong lower shelf (nearly on the ground) that will hold a bunch of lead.  . . .though I guess if you weren't into casting there wouldn't be much reason to have a few thousand pounds of lead stashed but I like to be able to move my benches occasionally and try to bolt as little to the shop floor as possible.

• Like 1

If you're going to be installing and timing rifle barrels in your vise, you need to anchor it to a concrete pad. You can lift a big Wilton vise and a heavy bench with a long cheater bar - voice of experience.

Quite true. I tore the top of my workbench loose from the base while applying a stupid amount of torque to something in my vice.

Quite true. I tore the top of my workbench loose from the base while applying a stupid amount of torque to something in my vice.

I would have rather broken my bench top. I broke my my large vise once by applying a stupid amount  torque using a floor jack handle. Broke clean in half!

Reload bench

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/bench1_zps4a6968d3.jpg.html]bench1_zps4a6968d3.jpg[/URL]

Casting bench,made from an old fake rock counter top(freebee)

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/bench2_zpsa7628912.jpg.html]bench2_zpsa7628912.jpg[/URL]

Supplies

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/bench4_zps8c96d43c.jpg.html]bench4_zps8c96d43c.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

Not for OCD folks I build stuff in my shop when needed I know where everything's at kids know to stfo.
Reloading area is in a climate controlled room. Ms db knows to keep her smokes 50 ft away she avoids the bench. Smokes and all.
Velvet Elvis stands guard over my redneck paradise enjoy..
Work bench:

e6yru4y9.jpg
9anady8u.jpg
jyra5epa.jpg
y3abe9er.jpg

Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 3

some of those work rooms look to be in the basement or in the corner of the garage, how do you keep the temp controlled in them. I have been working on my area that I have set up and is in the garage, and has been getting colder than an old witches teat, I do fire up a large propane heater and it will do the job so it is always fluctuating from very cold to comfortable.

Thanks

[quote name="mootw" post="1104369" timestamp="1391211254"]This photo was taken right after I brought this which accounts for the fact that it is uncluttered. This table was originally owned by a cabinet maker who built it himself. He fixed a metal placard just below the tabletop which is engraved: A. E. Hanson - 1959. I use the table primarily to clean guns on. [url="http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/mootw/media/WorkBench_zps2b0162aa.jpg.html"]WorkBench_zps2b0162aa.jpg[/url][/quote] 3 bottle openers on each side. You can open 6 beers at once. Now that's a work bench!

I use propane heat for my garage shop, my reloading area is always nice at 64 degrees all year round practically.i resealed my garage doors to help eliminate a bad draft i had so its in tune w the house temp more than usual.Id like to build a 2 door 24x24 shop, just need to save up and get some fill for the backside of the fortress to support a slab....