Gibson Guitar "Government Series"

R_Bert

I have thought about buying a guitar. I haven’t even handled one in many years and don’t know squat about what’s out there now. Can the guitar aficionado’s tell me; is this an $1100 guitar or is the price inflated as a political collector’s item?

I have thought about buying a guitar. I haven’t even handled one in many years and don’t know squat about what’s out there now. Can the guitar aficionado’s tell me; is this an $1100 guitar or is the price inflated as a political collector’s item?

Gibsons tend to be pricey. I haven't seen the specs on this one or played one. You can get an Epiphone which is owned by Gibson cheaper with nearly as much quality. Some say more. Check out Musicians Friend online and check out the prices. There are some good guitar stores around Murfreesboro and Nashville too.

Edited by Tuffus
Guest Lester Weevils

I meant compared to a Gipson of this type and quality that wasn’t a “government Series”. I assume this is a limited run??

I don't pay real close attention to guitar markets, but Made in USA Gibsons (and Fenders) seem to sell in the $1000 MINIMUM price range.

A lot of Gibson and Fender product can be had cheaper, which is manufactured somewhere else. There is an absolutely gigantic geetar factory in S. Korea, Samick. Unless things have recently changed, that company makes a lot of the Epiphones (gibson) and non-USA Fenders. The quality control of the Korean geetars is real good compared to the price.

Back in the old days, you had to pay a goodly sum to buy a geetar that was at all playable. The bad old days of Woolworth geetars that were near impossible to play. But one good thing about the last decade or two, is that there are a lot of low-priced, not made in usa geetars, that might not be comparable to thousands of dollars gibsons, fenders, guilds, taylors, martins-- But they are damned good easy to play axes nonetheless.

The price is about on par with other similar models. Your not paying a bunch extra for the "limited series".

As to whether its a good buy or not is debatable. If you want it because it pokes fun at the gov, and your willing to spend that kind of cash then fine. If you want it as a guitar to play just look over the specs. It's weight relieved mahogany and maple body, mahogany neck. Pretty standard Les Paul stuff. It's git a carved top which some desire, some don't and some like both. I'm in the later camp. I don't like the finish color and the Dirty Fingers pickups are known for being overwound aggressive and IMO not really some of gibsons best. The neck is a slightly thicker one in spec, but there will be thicker and thinner ones out there.

Personally I am in the mood for a new guitar and I'll be passing on this one. I'm pretty much a Gibson whore so its a pretty good chance it will be gibson inspired. Right now I'm working on a nifty les Paul jr. / telecaster project that I need to finally get finished.

I think I'm the one TDR was referencing. :whistle:

These guitars are made using the seized wood those commie basta....  the Feds took in the raid.  I'm not personally a huge fan of the finish on these, but that's a personal taste thing.  Most of the ones I built (I personally touch about a third of the guitars we make) were nice and heavy, just really ballsy feeling!  Nicky's got it right, the Dirty Fingers pickups are much hotter and ... well.. dirty! than the traditional '57s or 490/498 pickups folks have gotten used to over the years.  But, if you're gunna use this thing to scream out pissed off rock mayhem in defiance to "the MAN", these pickups are all about that!

Switching gears... my favorite new guitar we're making right now is the 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker!  I know... crazy!  It's a street price of about $550, satin finish, thin-line body style, but all maple and still pretty heavy.  It's one solid sunnuvagun!  The P90 pickups in it are pretty plain and a little low on the output, so those would be swapped out for something aftermarket if it were mine.  I don't know I love it so much, but I enjoy every one I handle.. might get me one this summer.  I can't decide if I want the blue, red, or yellow. :confused:

The 2914 melody maker is on my radar for sure. Looked more like a combo of two of my favorite Les Pauls, the single cut jr. and the lite series. I've got a custom lite so the melody maker would be different yet familiar feeling addition.
Do you all still make the SG classic? Those were cool guitars too. That and my firebird VII are the two I really regret letting go of.

On that note musicman you should suggest a USA run of Firebird IIIs in the original 60's custom colors. Cardinal Red with a set if P90s? Uh yes please. :drool:

PS, its all about the TV yellow for the melody maker. :cool: Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

Haha!  Yea, love that yellow!  I'm supposed to want mine in blue... I love blue everything.... but that yellow screams "pick me!! PICK ME!!!!" every time I see it!  The blue is so dark it's almost black.

I'm just a peon man... our guitars are designed and decided wwwaayyyy upstream of me!

I have an old Epiphone Les Paul Special II, the cheap of the cheap. I like it, for a cheap guitar.

I bought my daughter a cheap Fender/Squier Strat with a SSH setup last year, and it has one of the fastest necks I have ever touched. It blew my mind for a cheap guitfiddle.

Ya do realize that there are three very nice guitars listed on the forum right now. ;)

In regards to the Gibson Government Series LP, I wouldn't buy one thinking it will be a collector's item and will increase in value over the years.  That will more than likely not happen.  This is nothing more than a gimmick to sell more guitars. Even though I am a very limited government guy, I would not buy one of these for that reason.  Please don't take my frankness the wrong way.  I like Gibson guitars, and I have owned several LP Customs over the years.  However, when I see these LPs, the only expression that comes to mind is meh.

Guest Lester Weevils
I consider the SG and Firebird the purtiest gibson geetars, though the flying V and explorer and 335 have their good points as well.

In 1967 bought a new SG Junior for $78 at Rhythm City in atlanta. Sometimes george would get in a real good mood considering he was usually such an old crook. :) But I let it get away somewhere along the line.

Some years back was tempted by a fire engine red three pickup firebird, with bigsby and all gold hardware. Needed sunglasses just to look at it. Gaudier than a pink cadillac. Maybe shoulda got it.

I'm not a guitarist and only have a couple of old oddball geetars, a purt nice cheap cedar top seagull acoustic, and a second year made in usa parker nitefly I got on closeout for $800. IMO the parker nitefly is kinda "the ultimate strat". Solid as a rock, and you can get it out of the case after 6 months and it is still almost perfectly in tune. IMO they are better than the neck thru body parkers.

While I like the marketing concept behind the "Gov't Guitar"series, the actual guitar doesn't do much for me... but then again, my guitar tastes run a little bit outside the box-- I'm a big fan of the "other" company that begins with "G".

Good luck to Gibson though-- while I'm not much of a fan of Gibson guitars, I always like to see a local company do well. I hope they sell a bunch of 'em! :up:

rob_colorgretsch_lowres.jpg

CopyofCC_06sm_zps73274f0e.jpg

user244_pic6459_1294629063_zps22a776cc.j

100_0747-sm.jpg

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not a member so can't see what's happening, are they trying to sell one for 4k?

LES PAUL GOVERMENT FIRST SERIES GIBSON GUITAR THAT THE FEDS CONFISCATED THE WOOD IN A RAIDED 2011 ON GIBSON IN NASHVILLE THEY HAD TO GIVE THE WOOD BACK, THE FIRST ONES THEY MADE FOR EMPLOYES ONLY 2013 HAS A BALD EAGLE HOISTING A GIBSON GUITAR NECK IN GOLD,
THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE SOME MORE IN 2014 its in nice green case with black letters all paper work from THE HEAD MAN AT GIBSON AND THE PICTURE THAT WAS IN PAPER OF THE SERIES 11 THAT COMMING OUT IN 2014
THE PICTURE WAS IN THE PAPER FEB. 4th
THE FIRET ONES L@@K BETTER THAN THE ONE THAT WERE IN THE PAPER $4,000 OBO CALL 
SARGE 615 218 3044

I don't care if Les himself planted the tree the wood came from and it was confiscated by space aliens. Not worth 4k IMO. I'd be willing to bet that in 5-10-25-50 + years the market agrees.

That same 4k will go a long way in the currently soft vintage guitar market. Much better use of the money, just as perilous if you don't really REALLY know what your doing. Alot like buying collectible C&R guns, only knock off and repro parts are much more prevalent.
Ok, you posted that while I was typing. :-)

Yea, that first run was old enough to be legal for sale now. I thought we were still talking about the current run of Gubmint Gitterz. Like Nicky said, dude is nuts. We were offered those at less than 1/5 of his asking price, and they were not for employees only, though they did make a big push for us to buy one. (I didn't)

Ha! I couldn't see it either, but I doubt it's an employee. Is the serial # in the listing or pics? Bigtime no-no for us to sell our guitars within 12 mos of purchase. Henry has successfully prosecuted some folks, and they watch for that kind of thing.

Here is the original post. I could have misunderstood what he was saying, but I thought he way insinuating he was an employee selling a "special" version. I don't know anything about these, so I'm probably wrong.

LES PAUL GOVERMENT FIRST SERIES GIBSON GUITAR THAT THE FEDS CONFISCATED THE WOOD IN A RAIDED 2011 ON GIBSON IN NASHVILLE THEY HAD TO GIVE THE WOOD BACK, THE FIRST ONES THEY MADE FOR EMPLOYES ONLY 2013 HAS A BALD EAGLE HOISTING A GIBSON GUITAR NECK IN GOLD,
THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE SOME MORE IN 2014 its in nice green case with black letters all paper work from THE HEAD MAN AT GIBSON AND THE PICTURE THAT WAS IN PAPER OF THE SERIES 11 THAT COMMING OUT IN 2014
THE PICTURE WAS IN THE PAPER FEB. 4th
THE FIRET ONES L@@K BETTER THAN THE ONE THAT WERE IN THE PAPER $4,000 OBO CALL 
SARGE 615 218 3044