I gave powder coating lead projectiles a try tonight. Result pics

I'm a bit behind everyone else with giving this a shot.  But tonight I decided to pry PC with a gun, and with the brass tumbler method.  I coated some 300 BLK 230 grain, some 9mm, and some 44 mag that I cast up quickly for the test.

Pictures arent all the best but here the 300 blk dusted and going in the oven

49454423-6764-4149-B22E-87F7CA39C4C2_zps

And here they are after cooking for 20 min at 375

75346AC5-FE9A-477E-BEAA-C56EE50BE81A_zps

For the 9mm I tried the tumble coat.  I then stood some one end using gloved fingers, some on end using hemostats, and I just dumped a few to see if that might work.

Coverage from the tumbler

9B7FB173-E341-4D51-A6E0-E6D4C6844C5E_zps

To the left are ones i touched, to the right are the ones i stood on end with hemostats, and the bottom has a few laying in there as poured onto the sheet

BC69D1EB-B944-4DAC-9C9E-A33F49A1353B_zps

Here are results of the ones laying down...some flat spots, decent coverage.

5B27CD03-EDC1-42F8-8794-F278CBB0B796_zps

Here are the ones stood up with surgical gloved fingers

AF7B4877-CE06-45E7-8CFF-661BCFABD4E7_zps

And here are the ones stood up with hemostats, definitely the best looking of the tumbled boolits

9B4F48A0-AD34-4502-9DDD-D6837ECD949E_zps

I was impressed with the coverage of the tumbled bullets

Next i made a jig to hold some 44's, sprayed them with the gun, and baked.  Some foil stuck to this batch, but i am pretty sure this can be perfected faily easily

1CCC9606-5D27-4533-973F-FFDCD7A25D37_zps

DDA3E4F2-D0F3-4545-8CC3-302C11A9A457_zps

I may have had the oven a little hot, they seemed to flow too much, but cooled looking pretty good.

8EF21E96-F8A3-4ED6-8996-4D95EC114338_zps

1519396B-9DB3-4972-9429-5544BCAB4ECD_zps

BDD33FED-5BA8-48D5-AEAF-CEB125A6936D_zps

Tumbled 9mm vs PC gun 300 blk

2FEF0F27-C974-426B-AA05-906A1681C60D_zps

I used Hot Coat High Gloss Black powder and a garage sale toaster oven set at 375 for 20 mins.  If it weren't for standing the rifle bullets up to prevent odd little flat areas I think the tumbling method is a winner.  The gun gave a thicker nicer coat naturally, but I havent mic'd any of the rounds yet.  I didnt have any hardware cloth laying around so perhaps cooking them n something like that may solve the efficiency issues of standing bullets on end and aerodynamic issues from flat spots cause by laying on foil.  I like the idea of a jig or tray setup for various calibers so that the PC gun can be used to produce really nice looking rounds, that hopefully function better as well.  If the 9mm will stop leading I will be happy, and I am really interested to see what can be done in the AR 300 Blackout without leading.  I have some 155 grain projectiles to try for that as well.

What do you all think compared to results you've been getting or seeing?

Edited by timthetoolman

Have you slugged your gun yet?  the 'as cast-as coated' diameter will work very well in .38/.357s too.  You have some very good looking bullets there.  

Yes his 9mm has been slugged. I know this because we both did ours at the same time. 9mm has been the biggest source of problem and once we slugged them and they both measured .356 we knew why since the bullets were dropping from the mold undersized. Another problem is when seating the bullet the case is actually swaging the base of the bullet to and even smaller diameter causing MASSIVE gas cutting so between that and the bullets starting life undersized it was a perfect recipe for failure. We've got another set of 9mm dies to try along with the PC adding some bullet diameter so hopefully this will cure what ails it.

Yes his 9mm has been slugged. I know this because we both did ours at the same time. 9mm has been the biggest source of problem and once we slugged them and they both measured .356 we knew why since the bullets were dropping from the mold undersized. Another problem is when seating the bullet the case is actually swaging the base of the bullet to and even smaller diameter causing MASSIVE gas cutting so between that and the bullets starting life undersized it was a perfect recipe for failure. We've got another set of 9mm dies to try along with the PC adding some bullet diameter so hopefully this will cure what ails it.

Luke;

My buds and I are just starting both casting and powder coating.

So I'm gonna ask some dumb questions for both Luke and Tim...

Luke mentioned: "Another problem is when seating the bullet the case is actually swaging the base of the bullet to and even smaller diameter".

Was this even when belling the case mouth more than you normally would, or was this traceable to your die set?

If the die set, which make of dies?

Did you guys cast your own?

When resizing the bullets (I assume you do)...did you use a .356 resizing die?

What bullet weight of 9mm?

And last but not least...Where did the photos go? :ugh:

Thanks in advance and Thanks for starting this thread guys.

Edited by prag

Luke;

My buds and I are just starting both casting and powder coating.

So I'm gonna ask some dumb questions for both Luke and Tim...

Luke mentioned: "Another problem is when seating the bullet the case is actually swaging the base of the bullet to and even smaller diameter".

Was this even when belling the case mouth more than you normally would, or was this traceable to your die set?

If the die set, which make of dies?

Did you guys cast your own?

When resizing the bullets (I assume you do)...did you use a .356 resizing die?

What bullet weight of 9mm?

And last but not least...Where did the photos go? :ugh:

Thanks in advance and Thanks for starting this thread guys.

Yes, we are having the swaging issue even with the maximum amount of bell. The issue it below the belled area and really only effects the last 1/8" of the bullet but it is plenty to allow the gas to cut around it rather than pushing against the base causing it to seal up.

I'm not willing to throw the die set under the bus yet because we've not switched up the dies to compare them. No matter what the findings are I wouldn't fault the die manufacturer because the dies have seen a lot of use which could play a role.

Yes they are bullets that we cast using Lee molds.

There is no need to size the bullets because they are undersized as cast but even if they were dropping oversize we'd still not use a .356 sizing die because cast bullets need to be oversized by a couple thousandths so a .358 bullet sizing die would be used.

I believe the advertised bullet weight is 124gr but I can't remember what they actual weight is. I believe it is off by a grain or so towards the heavy side.

I reckon we've done a poor job with taking pictures but the issues I've mentioned have been quite small so being able to get them to show up in a photo might be tough. I've got a few of the bullets that we pulled that show that the bullet is being swaged by the case but i'd have to dig a little to find them.

I was out of town when Tim was trying out the PC so any questions about that you might should direct to him. I hope to have some time this weekend to work with the PC some.

Thank you Luke.

This is all very helpful.

I hope you can solve your mystery quickly and easily.

I've loaded a number of varying charged rounds to chrono and test for accuracy. Again, this is a first endeavor for us.

I did resize upon recommendation, or perhaps my mis-interpretation of the recommendation, but I'll load some not resized to check as well.

It'll be next week before I can try them out because of work, unfortunately.

For some reason, probably some setting on my computer, I can no longer view the photos and the links don't download for me. But as I recall, the photos were of very good quality.

I appreciate what you're saying regards the dies.

Thanks for your assist and the info.

Good Luck to you guys.

• 1 month later...

127 Grain 9mm (Wheel Weight) / 4.1 Grains of HP-38 / Wolf Small Pistol Primers.

Double Tumble Powder Coated in Blue.

No smoke, barrel leading at all, and very easy.

Attempting to get a photo up

Edited by kcevans

127 Grain 9mm (Wheel Weight) / 4.1 Grains of HP-38 / Wolf Small Pistol Primers.

Double Tumble Powder Coated in Blue.

No smoke, barrel leading at all, and very easy.

Attempting to get a photo up

When you say "double tumble" do you mean that you tumbled and baked then tumbled and baked again or did you tumble them and then add more and tumble them again then only bake them once?

Tumbled and baked twice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

I would like to see a pic, I assume the bullets just look better after this?
BTW, has anyone tried All Powder Paints? Their prices are much better than Powder Buy the Pound, looks like they only sell by the pound (the one color I have been using is $12 for a pound vs $10 for 2oz at PBtP). I coated some bullets today for the first time in a few weeks and realized I am basically out of powder. I plan to try a couple of new colors too.

BTW, has anyone tried All Powder Paints? Their prices are much better than Powder Buy the Pound, looks like they only sell by the pound (the one color I have been using is $12 for a pound vs $10 for 2oz at PBtP). I coated some bullets today for the first time in a few weeks and realized I am basically out of powder. I plan to try a couple of new colors too.

I just ordered a couple of colors from them, average of $12/pound plus $7 flat rate shipping is not bad at all. Here is a link if anyone is interested http://www.shop.allpowderpaints.com/

Tumbled and baked twice Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Thanks. We tried some .308 bullets for Blackout and ended up tumbling and baking twice. Once just didn't cut it and we did a couple batches which tumbled for varying lengths of time which didn't seem to make any difference in the end result. Tumbling and baking them the 2nd time really helped.

I don't have a pic but they mine were much better. I've got a guy that does powder coating that said he'd hook me up with powder so i'll be trying that next. 

I received my powder from All Powder Paints today and tested 2 of the colors. I also tried the double tumble/bake.

Yamaha Blue. 1st tumble and bake
20140314_164255.jpg

2nd tumble and bake
20140314_165852.jpg

KTM Orange. 1st tumble and bake.
20140314_171112.jpg

2nd tumble and bake.
20140314_173136.jpg

These are Speer 9mm cast that have a "hard multi-layer lube" that is very very slick and dry. Not waxy, sticky or even visible. These were .355 before and exactly .356 after coating.
I do not think the 2nd tumble and bake is worth it for the blue. The orange definitely needs 2 coats and maybe even a 3rd tumble bake cycle.

I can't get the system to let me upload pictures

I use photobucket as well.

Locate the photo you want to link.

Move your cursor over that photo and it should show a "wheel" at the top righthand corner.

Move the cursor over the wheel and a dropdown list should appear.

Click on "get links".

You should see "IMG Codes".

Click on it and it should read "copied".

Go back to your post, right click and hit "paste".

That outta do it. :pleased:

Govwatchlist_zpsa01b18b7.jpg

• Like 1