Larger Bore Suppressor for Multi-Caliber Use

Looking for advice on using a larger bore suppressor on smaller caliber firearms. My objective is to have a can that can be safely and effectively used across a variety of firearms in the interest of saving money.  Calibers in question would be .45 down to 9mm.

Any lessons learned from the community here are appreciated.

• Admin Team

If it's only pistol calibers you're looking at shooting, I can speak highly of the AAC TiRant45.  You'll need a thread adapter to go down to 9mm, but it will work fine.

Rifle suppressors are made to handle a lot higher pressures, and as such a pistol rated model isn't going to work safely on a rifle.

If it's only pistol calibers you're looking at shooting, I can speak highly of the AAC TiRant45.  You'll need a thread adapter to go down to 9mm, but it will work fine.

Rifle suppressors are made to handle a lot higher pressures, and as such a pistol rated model isn't going to work safely on a rifle.

I'd concur... Ti-Rant fits this space very well.  While I have not personnaly handled a YHM Cobra 45, I have been very pleased with the rest of YHM's line of suppressors.  I sell more Phantom series than anything else.  They're nice cans.  I do have a 40 Cobra I've shot on a Glock for a demo or two but have nothing in the shop to compare it too... I like it but I have both seen as well as heard tons of good stuff on the Ti-Rants... everyone seems to love them.   I don't do much pistol suppressor sales so do not have any in stock but I can get them in 4-5 weeks from my distributor.  Shoot me a PM if you'd like a price.  There's 2 models of TiRant 45s... a 6.4" and 8.7"

Thanks

I have a YHM M2 Cobra .45 that I shoot on .45 and 9mm.  Works great on both.  All you have to do is get the different thread adapters from YHM and change them out for the different threads.  I have even ran it on my .22 pistol.

I haven't laid hands on a Ti-Rant but have heard good things about them.

Your welcome to check mine out some time. 

Ditto on YHM Cobra M2 in 45.  It is much quieter wet, but I suppose that is true for most cans.  I have also heard the Ti-Rant is superb, but I have never played with one.

I have used mine on 45ACP, 9MM, 10MM, and 300 Blackout (subs only).

Take note that I was told by YHM that they didn't recommend it for full power 10mm Auto loads.  And by full power I mean the early 90's (and current Doubletap and Buffalo Bore) Atomic Annie loads that would hole battleships.  The typical 10mm loads (.40 Short & Weak) you find now by Federal, Winchester, Remington, etc are fine.  

Of course this is moot now since I lost all my cans, rifles, et al in the tragic canoeing accident in the waters near the Laurentian Abyssal.

[quote name="atlas3025" post="1106105" timestamp="1391542669"] Take note that I was told by YHM that they didn't recommend it for full power 10mm Auto loads. And by full power I mean the early 90's (and current Doubletap and Buffalo Bore) Atomic Annie loads that would hole battleships..[/quote] So you mean all the things that make 10mm great :) :stir: Sorry...carry on
  • Like 1
The swr octane and silencerco osprey both use the same pistons, I have a osprey (45) and i plan to get a octane 9, so they can share boosters if needed.

If you are okay with loosing the ability to use it on .40 or. 45 look at the liberty mystic. It is a awesome all around can. It can be used on anything rimfire, 9mm, .357 may and Max, .223 (out of a 16" barrel), full power 300 blk out of as short as a 8" barrel, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and plenty others. It really shines on a carbine. Mine should be here in a month or so.

I have a tirant45 and can attest to it's incredible performance on both 45 and 9mm.  I would also look strongly at the octane45.  It performs within a dB or two of the tirant with the added bonus of stainless baffles that can be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner.

YHM isn't known to be a great performer with regards to pistol cans.  They use an outdated baffle design and do not compete with other manufacturers with regards to dB reduction.  Don't get me wrong, I own 2 YHM rifle cans and enjoy them but you will be better served with the octane or tirant on a pistol.

Edited by samson7x

I have a tirant45 and can attest to it's incredible performance on both 45 and 9mm.  I would also look strongly at the octane45.  It performs within a dB or two of the tirant with the added bonus of stainless baffles that can be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner.

YHM isn't known to be a great performer with regards to pistol cans.  They use an outdated baffle design and do not compete with other manufacturers with regards to dB reduction.  Don't get me wrong, I own 2 YHM rifle cans and enjoy them but you will be better served with the octane or tirant on a pistol.

I didn't realize the TiRant45 had aluminum baffles.  I assumed since the Element 2 had stainless baffles the larger bore cans had stainless as well. I need to think about this a bit more.  Thanks.

Baffle wise keep in mind that lil Element is a bad-ars can!!! it can handle the WMR and 17s ... getting some decent pressure there.  But I've made several 45 and 9mm cans entirely out of aluminum and wouldn't think twice about buying one at least for those 2 pistol calibers... now cleaning yes, things to consider and be careful of but I'd also say hanging a 2lb suppressor off the end of pistol won't be too much fun either regarldess of how easy it is to clean.

I'll also mention I've shot sealed cans for 30 years ... I feel a lot of this take apart self maintenace pitch is just that ... a pitch... are they nice to have - SURE.. do they have any real purpose - YES you could say some ... but like the AR Piston, they're just the latest and newest fad... 22 cans WERE a problem the take apart concept solved... Outside of that, maybe some very usefulness in possibly more easily upgrading the baffle stacks later but I have never seen a 9mm or 45 can filled up like we use to see the 22s... we'd just throw them away... I've seen serval old MAC cans come thru I know have 10s of thousands of rounds through them and still perform well..  Not saying there are none, I'm just saying I haven't seen any and I know some boys who LOVE to shoot ;o)

Don't get wrapped up in numbers either... you'd be surprised what something sounds like standing beside it, in front of it ... not directly ;o) then looking at what the meter says... so I say buy something YOU like.. it's your money ... find something that looks appealing to you ... then read and be sure there's not a ton of negative press about it or the manuf - otherwords it's not a total flop that slipped in somewhere... buy what YOU want not what others tell you buy...you'll be happier in the long run...  

Edited by LawEnforcementSalesTN
  • Like 1

The swr octane and silencerco osprey both use the same pistons, I have a osprey (45) and i plan to get a octane 9, so they can share boosters if needed.
If you are okay with loosing the ability to use it on .40 or. 45 look at the liberty mystic. It is a awesome all around can. It can be used on anything rimfire, 9mm, .357 may and Max, .223 (out of a 16" barrel), full power 300 blk out of as short as a 8" barrel, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and plenty others. It really shines on a carbine. Mine should be here in a month or so.

I have the Silencerco Osprey .45 and use it on all pistol calibers. I plan to use it on 300 blackout at some point. Great can with a nice profile. First round pop is louder then I would like but certainly gets the job done. Should have the Liberty Mystic in the next couple of months too. Excited to try it out.