Remembering Shannon (Marswolf) Elder

TGO David

Shall we observe a moment of silence for Mars on Tuesday, September 23rd?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Shall we observe a moment of silence for Mars on Tuesday, September 23rd?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator

marswolfmemorial.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the passing of one of our own. James Shannon Elder (aka Marswolf) left this world for the next on Friday, September 19, 2008. He was 59 years of age.

Shannon, as he was known to us, was a career soldier. He served this country in the Vietnam War as a soldier with the United States Army. Subsequent to that, he served as a contractor to various three-letter government agencies often in remote areas of the globe. Much of what he did remains shrouded in secrecy for the sake of operational security to this day. What we do know came from Shannon's own stories of working on jobs in South American countries and training young Marines, better equipping them to come home safely to their own families at the end of their assignments.

Shannon leaves behind no immediate family. Divorced and without children, he was preceded in death by his brother. As of this writing, his mother resides in a convalescent home stricken by Alzheimer's Disease. A disease that has quite literally robbed her of any recollection of who Shannon was, to the point that she no longer recognized or remembered him when he would visit. We know that Shannon loved her greatly but also feared that one day he too would succumb to the same fate.

At this time I do also have permission from Shannon's ex-wife to state that Shannon did take his own life in his Blountville, Tennessee residence during the early morning hours of September 19th. Shannon's last post was a farewell message made in the TGO Staff private forum at around 9:00pm the night before. Those of us who read the farewell message confused it with him once again saying that he was headed off to a new adventure somewhere south of the equator. Indeed, he has embarked on life's final adventure and we wish him safe passage.

Least anyone mistakenly assume that Shannon's act of taking his own life was that of an unstable person in despair, allow me to state unequivocably that Shannon was first and foremost a soldier. A warrior. As has often been recorded by history back even to Feudal Japan, warriors at the end of their career and at the end of their life's work often elected to choose the time and place of their death and would do so at their own hand. This act was considered by them and their peers to be an honorable death.

Shannon's life and his postings here on TGO show that he was a master thinker and a master planner. He was intelligent, introspective and dilligent in anything he put his hand to. He was not one who was easily swayed by outside opinion but rather was steadfastly guided by his own sense of direction and a belief in what was Right.

It is with that in mind that I therefore submit to you to consider that Shannon approached the end of his earthly journey with the same thought, care and preparation as he did any of his military endeavors. We may never fully understand the reasons "Why" but we must give a nod to the thought that Shannon desired a Warrior's Death. Not on his knees. Not on anyone else's terms. And not wasting away under the care of others, burdening those whom he had worked his entire life to protect. But rather by his own doing, at the time of his choosing, and in the way that he preferred.

Godspeed, Shannon. May you now rest easy for eternity, Soldier.

--The TGO Staff

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unbelievable really.

Hard to believe he is gone. Shannon was a great guy and I always thought it a good thing to consider him my friend. I only wish I could have been there more for him.

Bless you Shannon, I hope your next journey is a great one.

• Administrator

I really am at a complete loss for words. :(

Shannon was a great guy. I always enjoyed reading his thoughts on things and we had come to count on him to find creative and funny ways to work his dislike for Glocks into just about anything he had to say. I think that will be one of my lifelong memories of him and it'll bring a smile to my face every day that I holster up. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, I'm seriously in too much shock right now to even come up with much else to say.

I'm really going to miss him here.

I am both shocked and saddened by this news.

Shannon was one of if not the first person to welcome me to the forums. I had the honor of meeting him once in person and I could tell from the moment I met him that he was an amazing person. His presence will surely be missed.

My condolences to his family.

Guest Verbal Kint

As others have said, I'm too shocked at the moment to really form any words... and those that come to mind really don't seem to be of any worthy magnitude in a situation like this.

I will say that while I never met Shannon personally, it was very easy to consider him a friend. You always knew where he stood, and where you stood with him, as he never held back or minced any words. He shot straight from the hip and was obviously of upstanding character. While I will never be able to meet him in person, I will definitely take with me the conversations that we had and ribbing that we gave one another. :rolleyes:

Mars, you will sorely be missed and never forgotten. Aside from the many lives that you have touched here, you have graced dozens more that you've taught and instructed. Not only did you selflessly give of yourself to your country and fellow men, but you instilled in them the knowledge and ability to survive and return to their families at the end of the day. You will be truly missed, remembered, and honored by each and every one of them.

To the Elders and to Shannon... you are all in my prayers and thoughts. May you find the strength to endure this brief time apart, and seek comfort in the memories that you hold in your hearts. God bless you all.

He will be missed sorely, and I regret never having the chance to me "The great Marswolf"

I am sure you are reading this, his family, and I leave this message for you.

Don't be sad, do not hold onto those feelings of loss, for you have lost nothing. He is still with you, every day, and will remain so. He will watch over you, all of you, and do you want him to see you crying? Stay strong, and know that he is there. I am sure that you will be able to tell when he is there, whether you are paying attention or not.

Requietum in Pacis

I will miss our lunches together, his wit and wisdom and swapping stories. I know he didn't believe in a higher power..but I will still wish him Godspeed and God's grace.

For those of you who didn't know, James Shannon Elder was the last of his family. He was quite intelligent, articulate and a freethinker.

He was my friend.