My 10 year old got to shoot Her first 1000 F-Class match

I've been shooting with my daughter since she was 4. I've made a few posts about her shooting out to 1000 yards. I will admit that if you don't know us, it is hard to believe that she shoots and handles a firearm as well as she does. At the end of F-Class season last year I took her to shoot a 600 yard match. She took 4th and was beaten by only masters and high masters. That match gave her the confidence to shoot in the first 1000 yard club match of this year at AEDC. The conditions were terrible for a first time shooter. 15 mph winds and heavy gusts approaching 30 mph. I shot my relay as fast as the target pullers could get the target back up so that she could have the maximum amount of time for hers. It took about 7 shots for her to get on, but she never lost her composer. Once she got on, she ran the gun like a champ.  Although we both put up some rough scores, she went on to take 3rd place. I know it's only a club match, but seeing 3th place next to her name meant the world to her. I've been telling her that the manner in which she conducts herself at a match will command more respect than the scores she puts on the board. I believe she earned a little that day.        

20140126_153449_zps461fc7b6.jpg

• Like 13

Very impressive, I doubt that I could even hit the berm at 1k lol. Congrats I'm sure youre a proud parent and it looks like she may have a bright future ahead of her.

I couldn't see the berm at 1k!   I love to see kids shoot. They always show us how it's done!

I can't help thinking how demoralizing it must be for any of the boys in her age/social group.

"Oh, you got a BB gun for Christmas? How....nice."

Fricken awesome brother. If I chose to have kids and had a girl, I like to think she'd be similar. Even if she gives it up and moves on one day this gives her a down to earth, dirty hands root system not easily shaken.
Guest Lowbuster

Make sure you get her on an air rifle team in middle and high school and work towards a nice scholarship.

I didn't know this existed. I need to look into this. Any info?

I appreciate  the comments. She is on the honor roll, takes dance classes in jazz and ballet, and is in a creative thinking club. I figure if I keep her busy enough I won't have to worry about boys. There's a 600 yard midrange match on the 16th. We will be there if the weather isn't too bad. Dust off your rifles and come shoot.    

I appreciate  the comments. She is on the honor roll, takes dance classes in jazz and ballet, and is in a creative thinking club. I figure if I keep her busy enough I won't have to worry about boys. There's a 600 yard midrange match on the 16th. We will be there if the weather isn't too bad. Dust off your rifles and come shoot.    

Ditto on weather. If good, we will be there. Since we missed the last 1,000, my son is itching to try his new rifle this year. Think my friend is bringing his son as well. Should be fun. Only fly in the ointment is rain. Not driving 4 hrs to get soaking wet in cold rain. Did that twice last year and that was enough.  :)

Guest Prairie dog

hello im new to this so forgive me if im doing something wrong, but anyhow congrats to the young lady . I was wondering if you could tell me where theres going to be any 1000 yd shoots anywhere in tn or surrounding areas I would like to try it thank you

We shoot at AEDC in Tullahoma and Oak Ridge. Schedules for the matches can be found in these two links. 

http://www.midsouthmarksmen.com/about-us.html

http://www.orsahp.com/2014-match-schedule  

Updates are posted here. http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3831186.0

If you want on the distribution list for AEDC, send an e-mail to:  midsouthmarksmen@gmail.com

There will be a 600 yard match this Sunday at AEDC and will give you an excellent opportunity to come out and get a feel for how things run. Registration is at 8:00-8:30. You are free to come to the line and watch if you don't want to shoot. The next 1000 yard match at AEDC will be 3/30/14.     

There are two classes. F-Open and F T/R. F T/R is shot with a 308 or 223 off of a bipod and rear bag. The gun must not weigh more than 18 pounds. F Open is shot with any caliber .35 or below (AEDC is restricted to 30 cal and below). You may use a front rest and rear bag. F open guns must not weigh over 22 pounds. I shoot a 6.5 Redding while my daughter shoots a 6mm BRX. We shoot 3 relays. 20 shots per relay and unlimited sighters. All competitors are required to pull targets in the pits.