Synthetic vs Wood Stock 10/22?

ncldwell

Synthetic vs Wood Stock on 10/22?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, synthetic or wood stock on a Ruger 10/22?

It let me vote for both, so I did. Because both have upsides and downsides.

- OS

Wood is definitely more attractive, but also shows wear worse. Like CM1021 says, it tends to move as well. However, laminates almost eliminate that and can be pretty to boot.

Care to elaborate?

Off top of head:

First of all, there are some synthetic stocks that aren't worth using if they were free, but I don't know of any wood ones that are.

Wood stocks:

Neg: moisture absorbing (mostly overstated, but certainly true to an extent), easy to ding up.

Pos: nice traditional look, even dinged up still exude "character",  can be beautifully refinished, most are about same weight as sturdy synthetic ones, not tacti-scary like some of the synthetics, perhaps easier bedded?

Synthetics:

Neg: can look scary, narrower range of stuff that will adhere for bedding, some may rattle, some don't offer a cheek weld worth a hoot or at all.

Pos: again really depends on which one, but more durable for the most part, some may be lighter than their wood counterparts (especially than the hardwood laminated ones), widely available in all kinds of configs like with adjustable stocks, folding, rails for attachments, etc, some are more tactile than wood (Hogue Overmolded ie).

Ultimately, though OP gave somewhat of a disclaimer, it does come down to aesthetics and what you want to attach to them.

And just for the record, both of mine that I regularly shoot have synthetic stocks, one I bought new just because I decided to go folder for compact carry and yeah, general overall tactikwelness just to have something "different". Sold the factory birch one to defray the cost:

1022-tac-2.jpg

And the other I bought used because it came with a synthetic Ruger Boat Paddle stock which I didn't like at all but was worth some real bucks, so I sold it on eBay and put a Hogue on it. If it had come with wooden stock I would have left it on there:

1022-ss.jpg

And I do have one more I've never shot with factory birch on it, just stashed it back when they were cheaper for just in case.

- OS

I have a 22WMR Marlin bolt gun that I wish has a synthetic stock on it now but back years ago when I first bought it the wood was fine and it still has beautiful wood on it but as I have gotten older I would like to be able to tote something lighter then it is now with the wood. I love the gun and the set up the way it is for shooting and it;s kinda like if I can see it I can hit is accuracy on but Just would like something lighter. I just had a Savage 93 that had the synthetic stock on it and it to was a stainless Bolt gun but weighed about 1/2 what my wood gun does. I was very tempted to begin building the 93 into the shooter the Marlin is but before I could make up my mind I just decided to sell it and it went to a new home. I might look at going synthetic on my Marlin if there are stocks out there for it. If I do I hope it shoots as good as it does right now...........jmho

Off top of head:

First of all, there are some synthetic stocks that aren't worth using if they were free, but I don't know of any wood ones that are.

Wood stocks:

Neg: moisture absorbing (mostly overstated, but certainly true to an extent), easy to ding up.

Pos: nice traditional look, even dinged up still exude "character",  can be beautifully refinished, most are about same weight as sturdy synthetic ones, not tacti-scary like some of the synthetics, perhaps easier bedded?

Synthetics:

Neg: can look scary, narrower range of stuff that will adhere for bedding, some may rattle, some don't offer a cheek weld worth a hoot or at all.

Pos: again really depends on which one, but more durable for the most part, some may be lighter than their wood counterparts (especially than the hardwood laminated ones), widely available in all kinds of configs like with adjustable stocks, folding, rails for attachments, etc, some are more tactile than wood (Hogue Overmolded ie).

Ultimately, though OP gave somewhat of a disclaimer, it does come down to aesthetics and what you want to attach to them.

And just for the record, both of mine that I regularly shoot have synthetic stocks, one I bought new just because I decided to go folder for compact carry and yeah, general overall tactikwelness just to have something "different". Sold the factory birch one to defray the cost:

1022-tac-2.jpg

And the other I bought used because it came with a synthetic Ruger Boat Paddle stock which I didn't like at all but was worth some real bucks, so I sold it on eBay and put a Hogue on it. If it had come with wooden stock I would have left it on there:

1022-ss.jpg

And I do have one more I've never shot with factory birch on it, just stashed it back when they were cheaper for just in case.

- OS

Is the synthetic stock a replica mold of the wood?

No, the Hogue has significantly different lines all over. Great stock though. I actually don't much like the rather drastically convex curve of the Ruger stock's butt:

1103.jpg

- OS

Synthetic Stainless would be a good move? All things considered?d

Both, hence the question.

That's laminated wood; so it’s in the wood category.

I hate plastics and Kydex in firearms related stuff. Should be wood and leather. Actually that should be a law unless the rifle is by design plastic (or some plastic looking compound).

My 700 VLS has a laminated stock; it looks way better than plastic but I still hate it. I would love to have a solid walnut high gloss stock like they had years ago, but I haven’t been able to find a factory SA BDL stock that will fit a heavy barrel and the customs cost a fortune.

Oh, but to get back to the question… A 10/22 should be wood because it was designed that way; not as an EBR.

No, the Hogue has significantly different lines all over. Great stock though. I actually don't much like the rather drastically convex curve of the Ruger stock's butt:

1103.jpg

- OS

That's actually one of my favorite thins about Ruger rifles; the trademark buttplate.

IMO, high-gloss walnut makes a rifle too pretty to use.  I'm always afraid of dinging the stock - it's like getting the first scratch on a new car.  I like a low gloss oil finish on a pre-dinged walnut stock.

My 30 year old 10-22 has a beautifully figured walnut stock.  It spends most of its time in the safe.

Edited by enfield
  • Like 1
Guest ryates217
I had one that I put an ATI Fiberforce draugnov stock on and it worked real well, but it was mostly just a plinker. Really is personal preference though. Find what you like and go with it. Good thing about the 10/22. If you don't like the stock there's plenty of other options out there and about 2 minutes to put another stock on.