Gunsite in TN

May not be cheap, but for 5 days of high quality training, it would be worth every penny. There's little you can do that's better than training after you get your handgun carry permit. People seem to think that since they completed a simple carry class they can handle all situations with lightening fast response. Truth is these classes provide you the tools to train under a simple and consistent design so you can develop muscle memory in a effective way so if you are ever presented with a situation you can handle it as effectively as possible. Edited by Sandman
  • Like 1

You're kidding, right?

You're saying there's no such thing as Clubs and Ranges where people shoot 3-gun,  IDPA or IPSC so must spend this kind of money to get a little practice?

And...no people who are willing to share their knowledge for free? 

So, just how expensive is it to join a range and learn from folks who have been doing it for years? And even start shooting in matches? $75 a year?

$100?

It's almost the same as the Johnny Appleseed group "for a mere $40-150 for the week end and we'll even teach about the American History". I gather they don't teach 

American history in schools anymore so for a small fee we will...

I suppose if you live in New York City and have never seen a gun before except in the movies then you might be tempted to spend $1500 for a course.

Opps, might not be able to own a gun there...

I have a friend from work who's spent lots of money, taking every course he could find locally. I took him out to shoot some action pistol on steel. He barely hit

any plates and just couldn't figure it out until we worked on it. A slow draw on a silhouette at 5-7 yds does not a gunfighter make...

This is't brain surgery. The military takes kids from all over the US who've never fired a gun in their life and spend a couple of days qualifying them. Albeit some

Services spend more time than others. 

The whole point is I've never been to a civilian range where there aren't very safe people that are more than happy to help any new folks learn to shoot effectively 

and safely for free.  And, they become friends with those that help and continue in the shooting sports because they enjoy it.

Reference training...all the training in the world will not dictate what happens in the real event.

A friend who owns a business had a robbery attempt on his establishment last month. His employees are armed. Three guys in hoods/masks pushed open the

door and the lead guy was pointing a pistol at our guy. Our guy drew and fired at the would be robbers. The shot went wide left and high approx 7 ft and missed

everything but the wall. The robbers ran out and headed for distant lands. The guy who fired had a jam on his glock and was lucky the robbers ran as he would  

have had to clear and try again. The jam was a shooter malfunction not pistol malfunction. He cleared it and did not follow. The malfunction was a high thumb

on the pistol grip which locked the slide open in recoil. Now this is a guy who shoots regularly, knows how to clear a jam and is a fair shot. 

So, expensive? IMHO...yes! Needed? Not necessarily.

• Like 1
Reread my post hoss. I said TRAINING after getting your permit is money well spent. I didn't say you had to spend $1500 to get it. I will stand by my comment that training is money well spent. And...there are other scenarios where drawing and hitting a target would be difficult if you are hurt, trapped, etc...it's good to get training in all different scenarios. Not just shooting a target.

Reread my post hoss. I said TRAINING after getting your permit is money well spent. I didn't say you had to spend $1500 to get it. I will stand by my comment that training is money well spent. And...there are other scenarios where drawing and hitting a target would be difficult if you are hurt, trapped, etc...it's good to get training in all different scenarios. Not just shooting a target.

I don’t think anyone is saying training isn’t important. Gunsite is a respected place that is known nationwide; people will pay those prices.

Could a person that can’t afford that get that level of training in Tennessee? I would say yes. I’m sure there are trainers here that are as good for less money. I also would say a person could gain a considerable amount of training and meet some great people to help them by shooting in matches.

$1500-$1800 handgun classes are not targeting the mainstream gun owner. Many people can’t afford that; some can’t even afford the cost of an HCP. But that doesn’t mean those people can’t get any training; they just need to either work harder at finding it, or ask for help here.

I' always for training, I have trained people, and every chance I get to seek more knowledge from someone who might know more than me, I seek it. However, I would not seek or advice anyone else to seek a course for $1500+, specially if you have some familiarity with firearms, even if you don't there are much less expensive ways to learn how to become a better shooter. 

Our club is expensive to join but we offer every type shooting there is along with 100's of folks willing to help for free. The cost to join is 1/2 of any these courses.

And you get a year to learn in. The following year it's $20 a month to belong which is less than 1/2 of the cost of the cheapest course offering.

2014 Course Offerings

250 Defensive Pistol â€“ July 21-25 -  $1585
350 Lowlight Pistol â€“ Mar 10-14 – $1850
223 Carbine â€“ Aug 25-29 – $1585
260 Shotgun (3day) â€“ Sept 8-10 – $1060
SATP Shotgun â€“ Sept 11-14 – $760
Close Quarters Pistol â€“ Oct 20-24 – $1850

Sorry, there are two courses for under $1500. My bad.. I guess I'd better sign up.

NOT!   :)

No one ever said training, either before getting an HCP or not, is bad.  It just does't have to cost much to do it.

I guess we can say the they're able to expand their operations because they are making so much money due to the prices they 

charge?  Can we say advertising....rules?  So when do they go public as in IPO?

Edited by Lowpower

Lakeland, TN.

I can give you a list of the different shooting available if you'd like. 

Everyone who joins gets a free safety lesson on shooting and range rules. 

We also qualify folks in different disciplines, all for free. It is a safety measure.

We also qualify folks out to mid range distances to ensure they understand come ups

pit/range etiquette. Again safety is primary the concern. 

Same for 3 gun. safety briefing and shooting with experienced folks is the norm.

Did I mention all help is free?  Just ask.

If you were't on the wrong side of the State I'd be happy to invite you to come and shoot with us.

You can bring everything you own except for one cal, The Ma Deuce. We don't have a big enough 

berm to stop those rascals from going thru and hitting the pits and things. 

Edited by Lowpower
What should a professional charge, specifically the folks that do it for a living? I've gotten tremendous knowledge from other shooters at different venues but never asked what they do 40 hours a week.

If you spend $15 or 1500 for training and don't shoot on any kind of regular basis, when the adrenaline is pumping I can only opine on shooter accuracy. I'll bet the 15 guy with practice will fare better than the 1500 guy with no practice. It's nice to have the certificate of successful completion but isn't that the starting point of continuing self improvement?

Having been through more than one professional training class I urge everyone to seek out a qualified instructor mentor coach or guru and get continuing education
[quote name="Lowpower" post="1108259" timestamp="1391926062"]Wow, it's cheap! Not![/quote] I don't understand why you are so caught up on the price. If you don't think it's a value, here's and option, don't take the class. Many people are and do take those courses, otherwise they wouldn't have a business as respected as it is.
  • 3 weeks later...

TRAINING is necessary if you want to become a Good shooter and a difference maker in a bad situation, How you get to that point is up to you - many people choose to pay for the classes and others that don't have the unlimited funds are doing it the best way they can, either self practice or with a help of a friend or fellow shooter - Both ways will get you to your goal you just have to be committed, i personally look at these classes as a good thing and $300 a day its not that expensive when you think how much knowledge you gain form it. Do it once and get the knowledge and then practice for free on your own. Also we spend so much money on junk and crap that we dont need these classes will at least give you something in return.

I agree that training is essential.  One does not need to spend the kind of money mentioned however.  I have been to other classes for considerably less money.  Tactical Advantage in Knoxville has some very good classes for less than $100/day.  Front Sight can be an excellent experience, especially for a new shooter.  But the point is, get the training

Those classes are a week long hence the added expense. They end up being about $300 a day . But considering the classes I'm offering in 2014 are priced at  $350 for 2 days that is still kind of high...plus the ammo expense and it starts getting really spendy.

Most "normal" folks have a hard enough time freeing up a weekend to do a 2 day class much less a 5 day class. That would mean taking a week of vacation for most folks. How many wives would be all excited about spending vacation that way? 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 1

I've not ever taken a course through Gunsite but I don't think anyone can dispute their success and good reputation, well at least not a legitimate dispute. Like I said I've not taken any of their classes so I don't know what it is but they obviously have something to offer that isn't found when taking advice from the guy in the next lane over from you at the local range. I agree that $1,500 sounds and is high but they have no problem filling roster openings at any location that I've ever seen, read or heard about. Also as stated already, this is a 5 day course for $1,500 and I see others charging $300-$600 for 2-3 day courses fairly regularly so other than the total number being higher due to the length of the class, it doesn't seem to me that they are missing the mark when all things are taken into consideration. I hope to get some training in this year and it likely won't be a Gunsite class but mainly for other reasons besides cost. Hard to put a price on information that might potentially save the life of a family member or yourself. And as always, this is just my opinion.

• Like 1

Luke I don't disagree with anything you said. But it would be a mistake to think nobody else can offer similar training at a lesser cost. And that is from personal experience . Cruel hand Luke is just one example.

I wasn't meaning that training couldn't be found for less just that they obviously have more to offer than the guy most any of us would casually run into at the range. There are many other instructors around the country that are less than Gunsite but I think your are paying a little extra for the name as well as knowing 100% that anyone operating under Gunsite is going to have their ducks in a row. Not saying that other individual instructors don't but they haven't achieved the level of recognition that some of the big name schools have and typically they can't get away with charging as much. 

There's little you can do that's better than training after you get your handgun carry permit. People seem to think that since they completed a simple carry class they can handle all situations with lightening fast response. Truth is these classes provide you the tools to train under a simple and consistent design so you can develop muscle memory in a effective way so if you are ever presented with a situation you can handle it as effectively as possible.

+1                      Preachin' to the choir here...............I hope!

I've taken Gunsite 250 Pistol, 499 Pistol, and .223 Carbine. Did I pay for it, no, I was sponsored. However, the training is amazing and I think is worth the money. The thing I think is beneficial about the Gunsite group of instructors is that you know that you are getting a professional. I'm not saying that they are 100 percent correct about everything they teach, but you don't run the risk of some gun range commando that has no experience and just regurgitates info they read online. Plus they are more than open to discuss alternatives to what they are teaching and will offer real world knowledge to back up their personal choices. I could go on and on about the specific classes but won't.

Could i afford it on my salary, no, but worth the cost yes. Bottom line is that the classes made me better and I have no doubt increased my survivability. If you can swing the cost of top tier training then go, if not find cheaper alternatives. Just keep striving to be better.

Before I went to my first professional training course, I thought I could shoot a pistol.  I found out I didn't know much at all.  After 4 full days of training, I became a much better gun-handler, safer, knowledgeable, and much more accurate.  Other courses added to all of those facets.  I know I can shoot now, hopefully can react properly to situations that may occur.  But also, one of the best things about the training, they were very enjoyable, and sometimes intense days.  I can say I look forward to professional training as much as I look forward to a fishing or hunting trip or other vacation.