Holy freaking mark up

I told this story about a year ago.  My father provided I think ~6 bricks to one of the auction houses in Sevierville some 20 year old Federal bricks of 500.  The pricing on the boxes were still there, well south of $10 a brick.  This was ammo he did not like, says it didn't pattern well.  Anyway, in a public auction I think at McCarters Auctions in Sevierville, each brick brought $85 + 10% buyers premium + 9.85% sales tax = $102.71 OTD.  The public bought all he had at that price.  My dad was very pleased. 

A year later, my dad is out of 22 ammo.  He routinely goes to Bass Pro which appears to have a good inventory each week for at least a day at somewhat a normal price.  He now regrets he let go his ammo, even though it didn't target well.  Him and his lifelong hunting buddy still shoot several hundred rounds each week, every week.  The loser pays for lunch.  They shoot old vintage 22 rifles, usually open sights.

Edited by Runco
  • Like 2

I agree that the mark ups suck, but anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Remember a year ago when people were bidding $1,000 for a box of Twinkies on ebay? Who knows...in 10 years $80 may be considered a bargain for a brick of .22lr. That's just how it goes I guess.

I was scammed once by someone I know.  Call these people up, to meet somewhere.  Be late, or call them 10 min after the time you agreed to, say you are on the way.  Call 10 min later, say stuck in traffic.  Call another 10 min later, pulled over by the police.  Then 15 min later, call back, say you found a better deal.  If 2 or 3 of us will do this to the same gizzard, at different meet up times, I bet they will become a little annoyed in their business model.

• Like 3

I was scammed once by someone I know.  Call these people up, to meet somewhere.  Be late, or call them 10 min after the time you agreed to, say you are on the way.  Call 10 min later, say stuck in traffic.  Call another 10 min later, pulled over by the police.  Then 15 min later, call back, say you found a better deal.  If 2 or 3 of us will do this to the same gizzard, at different meet up times, I bet they will become a little annoyed in their business model.

I like this idea

There is 20 rounds of blazer 9mm for 12 bucks right now.

Blazer 9mm doesn't come in 20 round boxes as the ad states.  Maybe he's just the typical dumbass.  Might have to let that one slide.

I flagged every recent 22 ammo ad in "Knoxville".  This is fun...while it lasts.  I'm sure the site will put an end to it.  Not gonna fool with some of the ridiculous centerfire ammo ads.

I told this story about a year ago.  My father provided I think ~6 bricks to one of the auction houses in Sevierville some 20 year old Federal bricks of 500.  The pricing on the boxes were still there, well south of $10 a brick.  This was ammo he did not like, says it didn't pattern well.  Anyway, in a public auction I think at McCarters Auctions in Sevierville, each brick brought $85 + 10% buyers premium + 9.85% sales tax = $102.71 OTD.  The public bought all he had at that price.  My dad was very pleased. 

A year later, my dad is out of 22 ammo.  He routinely goes to Bass Pro which appears to have a good inventory each week for at least a day at somewhat a normal price.  He now regrets he let go his ammo, even though it didn't target well.  Him and his lifelong hunting buddy still shoot several hundred rounds each week, every week.  The loser pays for lunch.  They shoot old vintage 22 rifles, usually open sights.

Just yesterday I was at an auction in Sevierville that my dad frequents and they auctioned 50rds of lead nosed plinking ammo and there was people bidding it up to 15$ a box. Dad said they've been auctioning ammo for a while and 22lr always goes for around 12-15$ per 50rds. People are just crazy. All the rest of them ammo they had, 44mag 45 and 40, all went for pretty good prices just the 22 was through the roof.

How about this. When we find overpriced ammo on Armslist let's all flag the ad to have it removed.

So who wants to post the next one?

I was flagging the ammo before, but now I like to have fun with it.  I now try to get them to meet by showing a lot of interest and, in some cases, offering a little more if they drive to meet me.

The guy that was selling the .22 ammo in Knoxville, i.e. 1200 rounds of Winchester for $200, told me he would even throw in another 100 round box for $200.  I now have his Name, Phone Number and email address.  I'm not doing anything with this information besides having my own file of a$$holes.

I had one guy drive up from Cleveland, TN and meet me at Gander Mountain parking lot in Turkey Creek.  The only reason I know it was him was I had his car description, so I would recognize him.  Normally I just don't show up, but that day I decided to go out for lunch.  I went to GM and saw him and his car in the parking lot, waiting.  I just went in GM and looked around.  He called me after a few minutes and asks where I was, so I told him I found a better deal and that I didn't need the ammo anymore.  Needless to say, he was a tad upset.  I received a few strongly worded emails, but that is why I use a throwaway email account to mess with these guys.

Maybe I need to add myself to my file of a$$holes.

• Like 7