What are the laws about shooting on your private property in counties surrounding Nashville?

macistan

Hi guys,

I'm finally in a position to buy a house this year and I would like to find a place where I could build a small range to do some plinking with 22s in the back yard.  Right now I'm looking for places with around 5 acres on them in semi-rural areas. 

I work in Nashville, so I'm looking mainly at the counties surrounding Davidson - Cheatham, Robertson, Williamson, Wilson, Sumner and Rutherford.

Are there are any particular areas that are more or less friendly to backyard shooting?  What are the rules and laws that I should be on the lookout for?

Been there, done that. Several times. Currently in Wilson county. Main issues: Make sure you are outside city limits and outside of any subdivisions, as most will have city ordinances, land covenants, or homeowners associations with rules against shooting of any kind. Check the laws yourself, ask a qualified attorney if you need help. Don't rely on neighbors, local police, realtors, etc. as they are often misinformed and their advice is not an acceptable defense to any violations. Even in counties which allow shooting on your land, you need to minimize noise or you will likely end up with neighbors complaining, especially if you shoot frequently or early/late in the day. And of course you need to be mindful of proper and safe range development concepts to be absolutely sure no rounds leave the range or pose a safety risk for surrounding homes, people, roads, animals, or properties. If you think of actually building a real formal range facility then all sorts of regulations and permits will apply, and will be cost prohibitive for most folks. The nra has a great package of info, and even a formal class for this purpose should you want to go this route. For casual personal shooting you are better off keeping it out of sight, unobtrusive, and natural... and being careful not to shoot too often or otherwise aggravate the neighbors. I usually talk with them in advance and explain what I'm going to do so they know what to expect and will talk to me first with any concerns.
Local laws and ordinances vary. Once you settle on a place check with the Police Department that would respond if someone called in on you. Regardless of what the laws are on discharging a firearm, you may have problems if a neighbor doesn’t like it.
  • Like 1