SCAR 17

willis68

I have decided that my next rifle will be a SCAR Heavy, 17. I have outgrown my safe as I am getting into long guns but am buying a bigger one in April, I will get the SCAR afterwards,

How many of you own one of these? I am partial to the FDE ones but may go with a black please post pictures of your SCAR rifles 16 or 17's

Scar 17 is one of the best guns out there, shoots great, accurate, and loved by those who carry it overseas, unlike its younger sibling. I don't own one but have shot one, and it is just awesome. Not that anyone stateside would get to, but it is very controllable on full auto, plus the change of stocks makes it more operator friendly. It would be my next gun, if I decide to sell some stuff from my safe. 

• Like 1

I am fortunate to own both a 16s and a 17s and I absolutely LOVE the SCAR.  Flat out dependable, easy to maintain and I think they can do anything an AR can only better (yes, I am a little biased toward the SCAR as well as to FNH).

They are a joy to shoot and I think you'll be please that you own one.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

I am fortunate to own both a 16s and a 17s and I absolutely LOVE the SCAR. Flat out dependable, easy to maintain and I think they can do anything an AR can only better (yes, I am a little biased toward the SCAR as well as to FNH).

They are a joy to shoot and I think you'll be please that you own one.

While my first will definitely be the 17s, I have a feeling that I will end up with both, everyone tells me how great they are and I love the looks of them Edited by willis68

Seems like the prices on them are going down recently as well. Some are getting close to $2500 every now and then.

Everything does eventually, i was offered one when they first came out for $4000.00 i was tempted then but glad i did not do it

The SCAR 17 is a pretty neat rifle, but it does have features I don't care for, namely the proprietary magazine and reciprocating charging handle.  It's also crazy expensive IMHO for what it is.  If I was going to go high-end .308 auto (my DPMS with swapped furniture and trigger suits me just fine), I would build an AR pattern from top-shelf components. 

The SCAR 17 is a pretty neat rifle, but it does have features I don't care for, namely the proprietary magazine and reciprocating charging handle.  It's also crazy expensive IMHO for what it is.  If I was going to go high-end .308 auto (my DPMS with swapped furniture and trigger suits me just fine), I would build an AR pattern from top-shelf components. 

The proprietary mags and reciprocating charging handle are the major knocks and kinda deal breakers for me in that price point...Like willis68 I just got a Tavor. Got it yesterday and sent it off to PA today to have the whole thing swapped to left hand!! now the two week wait. love that it will take my AR mags and co-witness with any of my AR optics with ease.

Expensive for what it is...lightweight,well balanced,reliable,sub moa accurate battle rifle in 7.62x51. To my knowledge there isnt anything else in the same class that comes close to meeting all of the qualities of the 17s so its hard to compare prices when no other rifles compares to it imo. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, in my search for the perfect(multi role)7.62x51 rifle the 17s is by far the closest thing Ive found thus far.

Edited by ~48_South~

Not taking anything away from the AR platform; it's certainly served well for many, many years now but it also took a long time to get where it is! However, I would suggest that in every measurable category, the SCAR platform is simply a better platform than the AR.

The SCAR is pricy (but for good reason I think) and most of the complaints I've heard have been minor/superficial and based on personal preference rather than objective rational.

If one has the money for one I can't think of one good reason not to buy one.

If you have the the money there's no reason not to get one. I'll say, for the average person who wants a modern semi auto .308, get an AR platform for half the price and it'll shoot just as well. The SCAR is more reliable. I haven't encountered an environment yet where that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been sold on one since my Step Brother a recently retired Drill Sergeant and former Contracted Armorer ordered his through the base exchange,
He has shot nearly every long gun in existence throughout his career in the Marines and afterwards and his opinion is that it is the best .308 ever made hands down, with a recommendation like that from him I have no problem paying close to 3k for one

Expensive for what it is...lightweight,well balanced,reliable,sub moa accurate battle rifle in 7.62x51. To my knowledge there isnt anything else in the same class that comes close to meeting all of the qualities of the 17s so its hard to compare prices when no other rifles compares to it imo. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, in my search for the perfect(multi role)7.62x51 rifle the 17s is by far the closest thing Ive found thus far.

The Ruger SR762 is about the same weight (maybe even a hair lighter), has a hammer-forged barrel, gas piston operated...Its looks and feels like an outstanding alternative to the SCAR.  They can be had for around $1700.  I don't know how accurate they are.  I wouldn't trade my SCAR for one, but it is a seriously nice rifle and has all the features I think you'd want.  The folding stock on the SCAR is the lone clearly better feature IMO.  But the Ruger doesn't have a single better feature than the SCAR, except for price.  I mean I guess you could say that accepting PMAGS is a plus, and I suppose it is...but its not like there is a universally accepted 308 battle rifle mag, and I have at least 10 SCAR mags that I didn't pay more than these other guys for.  Mags are not hard to find anymore.  And with a slight mag modification, FAL mags work in them too.  You can't get more plentiful than FAL mags.

The Ruger SR762 is about the same weight (maybe even a hair lighter), has a hammer-forged barrel, gas piston operated...Its looks and feels like an outstanding alternative to the SCAR.  They can be had for around $1700.  I don't know how accurate they are.  I wouldn't trade my SCAR for one, but it is a seriously nice rifle and has all the features I think you'd want.  The folding stock on the SCAR is the lone clearly better feature IMO.  But the Ruger doesn't have a single better feature than the SCAR, except for price.  I mean I guess you could say that accepting PMAGS is a plus, and I suppose it is...but its not like there is a universally accepted 308 battle rifle mag, and I have at least 10 SCAR mags that I didn't pay more than these other guys for.  Mags are not hard to find anymore.  And with a slight mag modification, FAL mags work in them too.  You can't get more plentiful than FAL mags.

I have a Scar 17 and I have a LMT MWS as well as a DSA,and PTR so Im not in the market for anymore 7.62's currently. I think I could have worded my post a little better as I think you may have misunderstood me. I was trying to say I hear "Its too expensive for what it is a lot" when talking about the 17, and I think its hard to say its too expensive when there is no other platform like it that I know of currently. Just take 4 key features of the 17 sub moa accuracy,weight,reliability,balance the Scar is the only rifle I know of that can meet all 4 in 7.62x51 and to me personally thats worth the money. Ruger is a little over a half pound heavier than the 17 as well,though Im sure its a fine rifle(Huge fan of the 556c) the 7.62 doesnt peak my interest. Only contender I can see for the 17 in the not so distant future(2015) is the Desert Tech MDR which I will be keeping a close eye on.

Edited by ~48_South~
  • Like 1

I have a Scar 17 and I have a LMT MWS as well as a DSA,and PTR so Im not in the market for anymore 7.62's currently. I think I could have worded my post a little better as I think you may have misunderstood me. I was trying to say I hear "Its too expensive for what it is a lot" when talking about the 17, and I think its hard to say its too expensive when there is no other platform like it that I know of currently. Just take 4 key features of the 17 sub moa accuracy,weight,reliability,balance the Scar is the only rifle I know of that can meet all 4 in 7.62x51 and to me personally thats worth the money. Ruger is a little over a half pound heavier than the 17 as well,though Im sure its a fine rifle(Huge fan of the 556c) the 7.62 doesnt peak my interest. Only contender I can see for the 17 in the not so distant future(2015) is the Desert Tech MDR which I will be keeping a close eye on.

I meant "you'd want" as in "one would want"...sorry for the confusion. I am with you. SCAR's are not overpriced in my opinion at all. At least not at the current marketprice. I was just saying the Ruger looks strong.
I own 2 ... A black and fde. One is being turned in to a SBR eventually. Selling all my 5.56 rifles and mags because I don't shoot them any longer. Love my 17's and they will both stay with me for life. ... sent from my pocket rocket ... my Samsung Note 3!
  • 2 weeks later...

believe  it or not but Ruger SR762 has a better Gas system then the one in SCAR 17, it is a very good rifle for the money and with changing the trigger it makes a perfect battle rifle - what alot of people complain about is the sub MOA accuracy, Battle rifles dont need to have that kind of accuracy it is not a Sniper Rifle and 2MOA groups are perfectly fine at 100-200 yards in a combat situation.

SCAR is a very nice looking rifle and is something all of us would like to own at some point but if i had to choose for every day use i would go with something cheaper and more basic like the Ruger SR762, Wide range on parts, magazines and a proven design that worked for decades.

Again i agree that SCAR is something special but its just to special for me and with about $2500 - $3000 price tag its out of my price range.