Vz 58

Guest HillyKarma

Guest HillyKarma

So, you guys may remember my thread from a few weeks ago titled "Starter .308?"

I've finally made a choice after going out and doing some shooting and looking further into things, I've finally decided on the 7.62x39mm  instead, and also decided on a Vz 58.

From what I've been told, there are currently only 2 American manufacturers importing the rifle: Century Arms (ewwww), and Czech Small Arms.

So my question is this: Should I get one version over the other? Is it worth waiting a bit for a particular make to pop up over another, or should they both be alright?

Also take into account experiences with dealing with issues with the company.

Which has better customer service?

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, both companies are building the rifles out of parts from the same factory 

Edited by HillyKarma
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HillyKarma

I have a century vz. They are technically called a vz2008. It's a good rifle. AIM had somw for a great price($450 I believe) a few weeks ago with mags, bayonet, sling and a few other things

That's a really great deal.

How are you liking it? 

Any complaints so far?

VZ58s are awesome. I don't own one anymore, but have plenty of experience with them. They are good shooters for sure. The only downside is that they don't take AK mags of course. I've heard that these latest century builds have been contracted out for them and the quality is A+

Vz58 are phenomenal rifles, but they aren't AK's . Meaning dedicated mags and internals are completely different. I'd love to have one but those factors have always turned me away.

I've had several of the real ones from battlefield recovery. I loved them things. Very smooth and solid to shoot. Dare I say I've liked them more than any AK I've picked up, and I've picked up lots of AKs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a really great deal.

How are you liking it? 

Any complaints so far?

Honestly I like them More than I do an AK. I know I know, ohh the horror. But hear the me out. They have last round hold open which I love. the safety I like better then the AK. and they just look awesome. They're milled out of a bar of metal. I mean what more can you ask for?? The triggers aren't anything to write home about and I have been looking for way to improve it but I think by doing improvements it might compromise the integrity so I have just gotten used to it. My front sight is canted and I'm trying to fix that. I have always been an AR guy and this got me into the 7.63X39 world. I have always thought the AKs were uglier than sin, BUT, functional so I could never write them off. They are a compromise to me between an AR and an AK. I don't think you will be dissapointed. 

Here's the ones at AIM. they are sold out right now but keep an eye on them. For what all you get it's a great deal. Mine come with the fixed stock and I can't comment on the folding one but I think I might like to have the folding one just to make it compact. 

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CVZ2008

Edited by CM1021

Yeah, the proprietary mags are the ONLY turn off for me.

You don't know what you're missing. Buy up a dozen and you're set for life. I've knocked years of caked rust off ak-vz mags and they work fine. Proprietary mags? Who cares. You can only carry so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guest HillyKarma

Honestly I like them More than I do an AK. I know I know, ohh the horror. But hear the me out. They have last round hold open which I love. the safety I like better then the AK. and they just look awesome. They're milled out of a bar of metal. I mean what more can you ask for?? The triggers aren't anything to write home about and I have been looking for way to improve it but I think by doing improvements it might compromise the integrity so I have just gotten used to it. My front sight is canted and I'm trying to fix that. I have always been an AR guy and this got me into the 7.63X39 world. I have always thought the AKs were uglier than sin, BUT, functional so I could never write them off. They are a compromise to me between an AR and an AK. I don't think you will be dissapointed. 

Here's the ones at AIM. they are sold out right now but keep an eye on them. For what all you get it's a great deal. Mine come with the fixed stock and I can't comment on the folding one but I think I might like to have the folding one just to make it compact. 

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CVZ2008

Out of stock  :shrug:

Yeah, the proprietary mags are the ONLY turn off for me.

I have the advantage of this being my first purchase, so I don't mind  :x:

Lighter, more accurate, better balance, ergonomic and higher quality than an AK.  What's not to like?  If you look around, you can get the mags at a reasonable price.  They are more expensive than AK mags, but also lighter and better quality.

The stocks are easily changed and inexpensive.  Buy an extra of whatever type the rifle doesn't have.  The folders are a bit uncomfortable on your cheek.  But they lock up solidly and fold to a very compact size.

Got one 2-3 years ago, later traded to a family member. A Century build from Centerfire Systems with the folding stock.

More accurate offhand than my Romy AK. Mags aren't a big issue, as they may be topped off from stripper clips while in the rifle. The bolt is slotted for the clip, similar to loading a SKS.